British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Siouxie Nov 27th 2020 3:23 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12940326)
Record high number of cases in Toronto yesterday 1,855, but record high number of tests 58,000.

What I don’t understand is...Toronto is on lockdown but not certain regions that are part of the GTA. Surely the whole area should be lockdown? I can’t shop, go the the hairdressers but if I travel a few miles within the Toronto area I can. ;confused:

Not all areas have the high numbers that Toronto does - what they should be doing is stopping anyone from entering or leaving Toronto, lol - but that's impossible and the numbers on the outside towns around and in the GTA will probably rise as more covidiots travel around to different towns to 'evade' the lockdown. :) I know a couple of people who travel from Grimsby to Toronto every week (several times) and back again, to see aged parents and/or to work.. go shopping etc., and have been doing so without any break despite so called 'lockdowns'.

Gozit Nov 27th 2020 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs (Post 12939661)
Does Malta have a decent vaccine supply? Honest question that I don't have a clue about, and google wasn't much use - but wouldn't surprise me if they are behind Canada?! (although I'm about as far from an expert on Malta as one can be)

Since we are an EU member state our government has an agreement to receive vaccines for the entire Maltese population, since I have a Maltese address there will actually be one set aside for me technically. Since it is only approx 500,000 people I don't think we will have the trouble that Canada will re supply and demand and vaccinating everyone.

Jerseygirl Nov 27th 2020 4:01 pm

It’s ridiculous...all lockdown does is encourage people from an infected area to travel to shops, beauty parlours in less infected areas, especially at this time of year.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 27th 2020 4:50 pm

Government can't afford or is not willing to provide the financial supports people would need in order to have a truly strict lock down and close most places down.

Financially lockdowns effect those who can least afford it the most, lower income earners with limited savings, and the government knows this, they also know they can't provide the necessary financial supports.

Danny B Nov 27th 2020 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12940391)
Government can't afford or is not willing to provide the financial supports people would need in order to have a truly strict lock down and close most places down

The CERB payment of $500 a week for 28 weeks was good while it lasted but no western government can afford to pay people to stay at home for 12-18 months.

It's mainly fitness centres that are completely closed down right now in BC isn't it? Most other businesses are still open, but restricted to the best of my knowledge.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 27th 2020 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12940404)
The CERB payment of $500 a week for 28 weeks was good while it lasted but no western government can afford to pay people to stay at home for 12-18 months.

It's mainly fitness centres that are completely closed down right now in BC isn't it? Most other businesses are still open, but restricted to the best of my knowledge.

Yeah there isn't much actually closed in BC as far as I know.

Many places open are employing fewer people though due to reduced demand, airlines, hotels, tourism related places.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 27th 2020 10:41 pm

I am getting tested tomorrow.

I had a cough for a few days that has gotten worse, today as day went on, I have gotten aches, a runny nose, headache, the cough as gotten worse, and a weird purplish rash on my back. No fever, and I think my smell is still okay.

They have 2 locations now, and its literally next door to where we live, 2 minute walk or 4 minute drive, driving takes a little longer as can't go as direct a route, and they now have online booking.

I took the BC CDC screening and it told me to get tested.

Hopefully just a run of the mill cold. If I did test P, no idea where I could have picked it, well it would either be from my wife, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or the pet store, only places I have been in the past 14 days.

911 new cases today in BC, 301 now in hospital with 11 more deaths.

30,884 cases since the pandemic started in BC

54 active outbreaks in long-term care and five in hospitals.

YVR (Vancouver Airport) in partnership with UBC and Providence Health Care and sponsored by YVR and WestJet are going a rapid testing pilot program, and asking volunteers to get tested prior to their domestic flight.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...v-27-1.5795881

They don't usually update over the weekend, so Monday we may see another 2,500-2,900 new cases, my estimate anyhow.

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 27th 2020 10:59 pm

People who have had it tell me loss of smell is the give away, and they can eat raw onions without issues.

Shard Nov 28th 2020 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12940508)
People who have had it tell me loss of smell is the give away, and they can eat raw onions without issues.

Yes, I think taste/smell is the clearest symptom. When I think I might have it, I just have a nose of some whiskey to test and then a wee dram to celebrate continuing good health. :)

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 28th 2020 4:50 pm

A Costco in Manitoba got hit with a 5,000 fine (not like such a fine is anyway painful for a company like Costco) for selling non-essential items at one of their stores. If the fines are low enough, big box stores may just see it as a cost of doing bossiness, the revenue from breaking the rule may exceed the fines, now if it were 5 million per offense, bet the stores would start to listen.

Not much detail given on the part of the government or even what was sold.

A church was also fined for holding services.

https://winnipegsun.com/news/news-ne...with-5000-fine

caretaker Nov 28th 2020 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12940777)
A Costco in Manitoba got hit with a 5,000 fine (not like such a fine is anyway painful for a company like Costco) for selling non-essential items at one of their stores. If the fines are low enough, big box stores may just see it as a cost of doing bossiness

I doubt that Costco would want the bad PR that goes along with non-compliance. Like you said, they can afford to take the hit once, but they aren't going to get away with anything now so I don't think they'll intentionally do it again.[/QUOTE]

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 29th 2020 4:07 am

No pandemic in Calgary, lets all go to the mall.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...mall-1.5820689

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 29th 2020 5:24 pm

I was thinking just how hard it truly would be to be in self isolation for 14 days if you didn't have someone on the outside, and had pets or in need of something that Wal-Mart or Super Store doesn't sell. I'd have no way of getting dog and cat food since neither store sells the brands we buy and the pets eat, and pet store doesn't do delivery.

It would be tricky for anyone without friends to get what they need for 14 days, delivery is rather limited in this area.

Something people should keep in mind, even if you do get over the virus itself, other health issues need to be considered, like this 29 year old who tested positive in May, and seemed to be recovering, then ended up with multiple pulmonary embolisms.

Now it's November and he still hasn't fully recovered and just started to work from home part-time.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/vancouv...d-19-1.5203362

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 29th 2020 5:53 pm

Chewy.com

Siouxie Nov 29th 2020 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12941055)
I was thinking just how hard it truly would be to be in self isolation for 14 days if you didn't have someone on the outside, and had pets or in need of something that Wal-Mart or Super Store doesn't sell. I'd have no way of getting dog and cat food since neither store sells the brands we buy and the pets eat, and pet store doesn't do delivery.

It would be tricky for anyone without friends to get what they need for 14 days, delivery is rather limited in this area.

Something people should keep in mind, even if you do get over the virus itself, other health issues need to be considered, like this 29 year old who tested positive in May, and seemed to be recovering, then ended up with multiple pulmonary embolisms.

Now it's November and he still hasn't fully recovered and just started to work from home part-time.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/vancouv...d-19-1.5203362

Yes, I've made a concerted effort to make sure I always have enough dog food in to last a week, plus some frozen raw ground beef or similar for emergency backup.. I keep one smallish bag of kibble in reserve for the same reason.
Sounds like that chap has long covid - it's becoming more common. :(
https://evidence.nihr.ac.uk/themedre...-with-covid19/