British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 22nd 2020 2:33 am

Re: Coronavirus

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...tion-1.5199238

Experts urge caution regarding a vaccine.

Danny B Nov 23rd 2020 12:57 am

Vietnam population 97m
Population density 308 people per sq km
1,307 infections
38 COVID deaths

UK Population 67m
Population density 275 people per sq km
1.5m infections
55,000 COVID deaths

What can the world learn from Vietnam?

Stumpylegs Nov 23rd 2020 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12938603)
Vietnam population 97m
Population density 308 people per sq km
1,307 infections
38 COVID deaths

UK Population 67m
Population density 275 people per sq km
1.5m infections
55,000 COVID deaths

What can the world learn from Vietnam?

Act early is the clear thing - and one which I think we can all agree on.

The rest of it, I'm not so sure - Being that there isn't a power struggle between political parties over there, there is little to opposition to the measures they have took, and i don't think Vietnam are quite so tolerant of anti mask protesters as other places have been forced to be.

I Imagine in the the UK(or Canada, or anywhere in the western world )- forcing people into quarantine facilities with no showers, no proper beds, basic diets etc wouldn't stand, likewise I believe the proper" locking down " or communities wouldn't work given the kerfuffle knocking Manchester up a tier created. Climate may well have helped stop the spread somewhat to (hence why in the UK everyone could be idiots all summer and it was fine, but now the weathers turned its got worse, similar for Canada).

The question I have which hopefully we will never find out the answer to, is whether they have prolonged the inevitable - if a vaccine comes in the next few months Americas resistance to lock down amongst other things will go down in history as a foolish one, if however these vaccines fall through - does the US unintentionally hit herd immunity in Feb>March time, and by May are back to a slightly different normal, but effectively firing on all cylinders, meanwhile NZ, Aus, Vietnam have to keep borders closed and have flare ups and issues for the next 2-3 years?

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 23rd 2020 4:15 am

Photos from inside an Alberta ICU. (nothing graphic) Photos released by Alberta Health Services.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...d-19-1.5811808

caretaker Nov 23rd 2020 9:51 pm

The daily news:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...bd84004ee8.jpg

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 23rd 2020 10:10 pm

Taking from live conference so typos may occur.

fri sat- 713
sat to sun 626
sun to monday 594

414 Vancouver coastal
1304 Fraser
48 Van Is
104 Interior
61 Northern
2 from outside BC

277 in hospital, 59 critical care.

10,200 under active monitoring.

17 deaths Fri to Mon

Mostly seniors in long term care.

Rete Nov 23rd 2020 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12937878)
I don't understand how governments expect to enforce the "no gatherings at your household with people outside your household." There is no capacity to enforce such a rule and it is a gross violation of one's property rights. Obviously it will be easy to enforce things that stand out such as a house with 5+ cars in the drive and loud music, but the quieter gatherings (i.e. people who are careful to not make it obvious they are flouting the rules) will go on undetected.

Not here in the US. On my drive through the rural county my daughter lives in here in Mississippi, I looked at the driveways and most of them all had 3 or 4 cars on them and it was the end of the work yet. It is only obvious if there are out of state license plates.

Revin Kevin Nov 23rd 2020 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12937910)
I'm sorry , i know you are frustrated by the lack of things you can do, believe me i feel it to, count yourself lucky that you don't work in an industry that has been decimated by this crap
I get frustrated too , because this would be OVER if people had done what needed to be done ( I include governments in this)

but of course it is deadly , people die from it.
I honestly have no patience for people who seem to think that the restrictions are somehow a personal affront as opposed to a reasonable measure to limit the spread of DEADLY (yes i'm using that phrase again , but it happens be be true , according to the WHO)

go work in a covid ward without PPE , then tell me how "not deadly" this virus is ;)

i never mentioned 1918 , so don't put words into my mouth.

you do realize that the lack of deaths etc is a direct result of precautions taken , not something that has happened despite them. it has become very clear (just look at the numbers in Ontario), that as people relax their precautions , cases rise

Personally I think Covid Hysteria has now got totally out of hand. The costs of dealing with the fallout of it all are going to be far worse and longer lasting that the relatively small effect the actual virus itself has had. A quick couple of points based on personal experience; according to the professionals my wife and I are classed as being of high risk for Covid meaning we are more likely to catch it and have serious issues if we do. So 3 members of my household have recently been tested positive for Covid 19, the time for me and my wife catching it from them has thankfully now passed so we maybe dodged the bullet . However all were tested for work reasons not because they felt unwell. Of the 3 only 1 felt "a bit down" for a few days the others basically couldn't tell they had it. First point - if the virus is so easily transmitted why did only 3 catch it out of the 7 in the household, why aren't my wife and I in ICU? ( not complaining mind!) We didn't know they had it before they were tested so no special precautions were being taken at the time. Second point - The symptoms experienced by my household members were mild or non existent, which seems to account for 99% of cases.

There are a lot of deadly things out there, cars, aeroplanes, fast food, alcohol to name but a few, we don't throw a wobbly and shut down economies for the people who get run over or die of heart disease which by the way far outnumber Covid cases.

BristolUK Nov 23rd 2020 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12938919)

There are a lot of deadly things out there, cars, aeroplanes, fast food, alcohol to name but a few, we don't throw a wobbly and shut down economies for the people who get run over or die of heart disease which by the way far outnumber Covid cases.

I'm not religious but Lord, give me strength.

Why do people still repeat this tosh? Are they incapable of reading things like "heart disease doesn't infect other people" or do they just plow on with their crazy ideas regardless of information?

Danny B Nov 23rd 2020 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12938920)
I'm not religious but Lord, give me strength.

Why do people still repeat this tosh? Are they incapable of reading things like "heart disease doesn't infect other people" or do they just plow on with their crazy ideas regardless of information?

I think he meant that we are still much more likely to die from a non-communicable disease than from COVID.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 24th 2020 12:16 am

For the US leading causes of deaths in 2018 according to the CDC were.

COVID has so far killed 263,639 people in the US.
  • Heart disease: 655,381
  • Cancer: 599,274
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 167,127
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 159,486
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 147,810
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 122,019
  • Diabetes: 84,946
  • Influenza and pneumonia: 59,120
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 51,386
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 48,344

I couldn't find anything comparable for Canada, at least not user friendly.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lea...s-of-death.htm

Siouxie Nov 24th 2020 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12938931)
For the US leading causes of deaths in 2018 according to the CDC were.

COVID has so far killed 263,639 people in the US.
  • Heart disease: 655,381
  • Cancer: 599,274
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 167,127
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 159,486
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 147,810
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 122,019
  • Diabetes: 84,946
  • Influenza and pneumonia: 59,120
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 51,386
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 48,344

I couldn't find anything comparable for Canada, at least not user friendly.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lea...s-of-death.htm

Deaths from Covid, Canada - 11,521

It took some digging but I finally found something that gives the 'top 10' causes in Canada for 2018.. not as good as your example, but might be useful.
https://www.finder.com/ca/what-are-t...eath-in-canada

Rank Cause of death Total number of deaths
1 Cancer 79,536
2 Heart disease 53,134
3 Cerebrovascular diseases 13,480
4 Accidents 13,290
5 Chronic lower respiratory diseases 12,998
6 Flu and pneumonia 8,511
7 Diabetes 6,794
8 Alzheimer’s disease 6,429
9 Suicide 3,811
10 Kidney diseases 3,615

printer Nov 24th 2020 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12938926)
I think he meant that we are still much more likely to die from a non-communicable disease than from COVID.

Also whilst many of the things listed are not infectious they are somewhat preventable which of course is also true of COVID. We are trying desperately to prevent as many getting sick and possibly dying with restrictions that are quite harmful to some sectors of society. Are we trying as hard to prevent people dying from these other diseases? And of course in turn relieving the strain on the healthcare system because we all know that for example smoking is the leading cause of lung cancer and the health services around the world are spending millions on treating the disease yet smoking is still happening and now vaping which seemed to suddenly explode onto the market yet we are hearing horror stories of lung damage in young people already! These smokers and or vapers are also of course more likely to suffer much worse should they catch the virus too.

Atlantic Xpat Nov 24th 2020 11:43 am

The problem with the "It's not actually that bad/we should let it run its course/the economic price is not worth paying" arguments are if you don't take action (& why for the love of all thats holy are some parts of Canada still not under mandatory mask polices) then the hospitals fill up & C19 patients start dying in corridors, homes etc. And the people in the healthcare system are put under immense if not impossible strain. At the beginning of this, in the UK there was much made of the WWII analogies - we fought the hun, we can fight covid - building ventilators, more PPE etc etc. All very good but to borrow the WWII analogy from the battle of britain "it's pilots we need, not planes". Nurse & Doctors are not easy to replace when they are burned out, or worse still sick or dying from C19. Running out of Dr's and Nurses (not to mention the other healthcare professionals) has to be a concern as the pandemic continues.

Meanwhile here in Newfoundland, we've popped the Atlantic Bubble for a couple of weeks at least. No quarantine free travel from NS/NB/PEI anymore.

Danny B Nov 24th 2020 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by printer (Post 12938976)
Also whilst many of the things listed are not infectious they are somewhat preventable which of course is also true of COVID. We are trying desperately to prevent as many getting sick and possibly dying with restrictions that are quite harmful to some sectors of society. Are we trying as hard to prevent people dying from these other diseases? And of course in turn relieving the strain on the healthcare system because we all know that for example smoking is the leading cause of lung cancer and the health services around the world are spending millions on treating the disease yet smoking is still happening and now vaping which seemed to suddenly explode onto the market yet we are hearing horror stories of lung damage in young people already! These smokers and or vapers are also of course more likely to suffer much worse should they catch the virus too.

Wearing a mask and social distancing to protect from COVID should be the same train of thought as diet and exercise is for helping to prevent heart disease.

Having said that, the USA is completely out of control right now and I have a horrible feeling that this virus will run its course and kill many more before everyone is vaccinated. People down there just don't get it. Millions of people are travelling home for thanks giving this week, not a care in the world.