British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Teaandtoday5 Mar 21st 2020 7:18 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Loblaws bumping staff pay by 15% on a temporary basis.

scrubbedexpat134 Mar 21st 2020 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12822318)
i just cancelled guitar jam night with the band, I must be serious :(

Magnum you need one of these, i am about to order one as it looks like this virus aint going away any time soon

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 21st 2020 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12824686)
Loblaws bumping staff pay by 15% on a temporary basis.

Save On Foods raised their hourly pay $2/hr.

I have been tempted to apply to grocery stores since they are hiring temporary workers to meet current demand, but my wife is high risk with underlying health issues so I worry if go out everyday in such a high traffic place like a store that I would risk bringing home the virus. I am not even sure I would survive if I got it considering my past history with pneumonia and bronchitis.

BC daily update was earlier today:

74 new cases and 1 death
Total cases now 424 cases in the province.
27 now hospitalized, 12 of the 27 in ICU.
BC doesn't break down cases by city, the only provide breakdown by health regions which include multiple city's in each one, 230 of the cases are in the Vancouver Coastal Health region, 126 in Fraser Health, 37 on Vancouver Island, 27 in Interior Health and four in Northern Health.

I notice that low has been dropped when the health officer talks about risk in the province.

"“I think this tells us, again, that we have risk around the province, and how important it is for us to pay attention to what’s happening in our community and take those [social distancing] measures that we have been talking about all along,” Henry said."

Calling for the closure of all personal service businesses, including massage parlors. salons and tattoo parlors.

I do think the government needs to clarify what essential means, some retailers like a big craft store think they are essential, last I checked crafts are not needed to survive.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 21st 2020 8:27 pm

BC Legislature is meeting on Monday for a one day session, looks like they plan to release their plans going forward and might be providing some additional assistance to those on disability, what that will be is anyone's guess.

"Details on a financial relief package for renters, low-income residents and those on disability will also be announced when the legislature meets for a one-day sitting on Monday."

https://globalnews.ca/news/6712482/c...sing-supports/

At-least the BC government is thinking of these things, because for the poorest and those on provincial disability the federal plan largely left these groups out.

magnumpi Mar 21st 2020 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cheltonian (Post 12824702)
Magnum you need one of these, i am about to order one as it looks like this virus aint going away any time soon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC2eu03_oxY

looks good, I still using my looper for now tho :)

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 21st 2020 10:14 pm

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 22nd 2020 12:05 am

I wonder safer to go to grocery store and buy things or to just get in a car and drive thru a fast food place.

Trying to limit exposure and limit chances of catching this virus.

Oink Mar 22nd 2020 12:18 am

The food at a drive thru won't be as healthy though

Tumbling_Dice Mar 22nd 2020 1:08 am

I have been quite impressed with the situation in and around Halifax. Most people, as far as I have experienced it, are obeying the guidance.

I may have missed the panic buying but I had occasion to hit the local Sobey's today for my weekly shop and found everything I wanted. Also snagged a bottle of Tylenol. Shelves were well stocked and there were some cracking deals in the veg section.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 22nd 2020 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12824795)
The food at a drive thru won't be as healthy though

I can't say I have ever truly eaten healthy, but I hate cooking with a passion so probably explains why...ha ha

Oink Mar 22nd 2020 3:14 am

I'm thinking, in the next couple of months condos in Florida are going to hit rock bottom. It's has to decimate the southern part of the state.

scilly Mar 22nd 2020 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12824458)
London Drugs CEO is confused about the toilet paper hoarding. He also notes they are seeing a huge increase in credit card use, but unsure if its because people are afraid to touch cash or if people are resorting to credit card because they lack cash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

Meanwhile other stores are insisting on no cash, only debit or credit card accepted.

OH found that at Best Buy on Thursday for a $14 bill that he would usually pay by cash, and at out Safeway/Sobeys yesterday on our weekly shop.

PLUS all the stores are refusing to accept customers' own bags .... you have to have their own plastic bags. AND London Drugs charged their usual 5c per bag. Neither Safeway not LD would allow OH to pack his own bags.

After all these years of trying to get rid of plastic!

Safeway/Sobeys had no toilet paper, large baking potatoes, tinned tomatoes, no fresh meat in the butcher department............... or eggs.

scilly Mar 22nd 2020 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12824717)
BC Legislature is meeting on Monday for a one day session, looks like they plan to release their plans going forward and might be providing some additional assistance to those on disability, what that will be is anyone's guess.

"Details on a financial relief package for renters, low-income residents and those on disability will also be announced when the legislature meets for a one-day sitting on Monday."

https://globalnews.ca/news/6712482/c...sing-supports/

At-least the BC government is thinking of these things, because for the poorest and those on provincial disability the federal plan largely left these groups out.

There will be 10 members plus the Speaker and a Committee Chair present ...... that's a quorum. All parties have agreed to this, and members attending will be ones who can get there without having to fly.

The Feds are have a session of Parliament on Tuesday ...... similar deal. Only the minimum quorum of members plus the Speaker. I think their quorum is 20, all will be from ridings within driving range, and all parties have agreed to this.

I understand that all motions and laws put forward by the government in both cases will pass unopposed. That's great as most of the bills seem to be money-connected.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 22nd 2020 3:39 am

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12824853)
Meanwhile other stores are insisting on no cash, only debit or credit card accepted.

OH found that at Best Buy on Thursday for a $14 bill that he would usually pay by cash, and at out Safeway/Sobeys yesterday on our weekly shop.

PLUS all the stores are refusing to accept customers' own bags .... you have to have their own plastic bags. AND London Drugs charged their usual 5c per bag. Neither Safeway not LD would allow OH to pack his own bags.

After all these years of trying to get rid of plastic!

Safeway/Sobeys had no toilet paper, large baking potatoes, tinned tomatoes, no fresh meat in the butcher department............... or eggs.

People need to stop panic buying, but its hard as people see low stock, so they buy more and the cycle continues.

A lot of complaints online about Save On cancelling delivery orders or not being able fill them completely. Every time I tried the Save On website is crashes on me, Spud works but has no delivery days available and their prices are insanely high. Amazon has really nothing food wise.

I just don't want to go out as going out = higher chance of catching this thing, but eventually we will need to get some more food.

I did quickly go to a store yesterday to grab something and ffs why can't people stand back, 6 feet people, not 2 feet, and don't bring your entire family to the store, leave the kids at home.

In California in the area my mom lives, its 1 person per family rule in place for many of the grocery stores, no groups permitted, limiting how many can enter the store.

Oink Mar 22nd 2020 5:22 am

This virus stuff has magically reversed time. It has turned me back into a 16 year old going down the rec with a bottle of White Lightning.

dave_j Mar 22nd 2020 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12824888)
This virus stuff has magically reversed time. It has turned me back into a 16 year old going down the rec with a bottle of White Lightning.

White Lightning... cheap, a bit like me.

dbd33 Mar 22nd 2020 11:16 am

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12824853)
.............. or eggs.

Massive oversupply of eggs here, chickens keep churning them out, not going to work so can't sell them. Come and get a few dozen.

Teaandtoday5 Mar 22nd 2020 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12824888)

when did you change your profile picture? Isn’t the world confusing enough at the moment?? Can’t we rely on anything anymore???:yawn:

ann m Mar 22nd 2020 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12824857)
In California in the area my mom lives, its 1 person per family rule in place for many of the grocery stores, no groups permitted, limiting how many can enter the store.

My friend in Spain says they have this rule. And you can be fined 600euros if non compliant or found to be out with no good reason. Spain rapidly going downhill this week. Italy quite terrifying

ann m Mar 22nd 2020 3:06 pm

Anyone else have teenagers or young adults in the house who suffer from anxiety. My two have pretty much refused to watch the news in tv since they were in their mid teens. It’s was too depressing, and boring.

So I don’t know where they are getting their information now. Piecemeal via social media. I find myself having to feed news and facts, and guidelines to them in carefully worded texts so as not to freak them out but to get the seriousness of this across.

There would likely be a generation or two that simply don’t tune in to BBC or CBC or any other large national (reputable?) news outlet - and are still very slow to this party.

Tumbling_Dice Mar 22nd 2020 3:25 pm

State of emergency declared in Nova Scotia

magnumpi Mar 22nd 2020 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 12825170)
My friend in Spain says they have this rule. And you can be fined 600euros if non compliant or found to be out with no good reason. Spain rapidly going downhill this week. Italy quite terrifying

We been told it will go away when it gets warmer, that’s BS as Spain isn’t exactly snow covered is it !!

Jerseygirl Mar 22nd 2020 4:04 pm

Some condo buildings in Toronto have put a ban on all deliveries apart from food and meds. So far ours has asked to restrict online ordering. My daughter has a 5 yr old at home and is trying to keep her occupied by ordering games, puzzles, crafts etc. Online school lessons begin this week...hopefully that will occupy her for a while each day.

spouse of scouse Mar 22nd 2020 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12825192)
We been told it will go away when it gets warmer, that’s BS as Spain isn’t exactly snow covered is it !!

I don't know why some people keep saying the warmer weather will see this virus off. In the past month Australia's gone from 5 confirmed cases to 1,353. The fact is that there is no evidence that warm/hot weather will kill this bloody thing.

Danny B Mar 22nd 2020 4:11 pm

This is purely speculation and my gut feeling, but I feel as though BC is on the verge on implementing a full lock down, similar to Spain & Italy within the next few days.

caretaker Mar 22nd 2020 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12825200)
I don't know why some people keep saying the warmer weather will see this virus off. In the past month Australia's gone from 5 confirmed cases to 1,353. The fact is that there is no evidence that warm/hot weather will kill this bloody thing.

They aren't listening to the WHO. Was it a week ago or two weeks, they said there was no evidence to support that theory.

Danny B Mar 22nd 2020 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12825225)
They aren't listening to the WHO. Was it a week ago or two weeks, they said there was no evidence to support that theory.

Do we really trust the WHO? Their tweet below did not age well.

No one knows what the fack is going on, the thing that will hurt us the most is incorrect information being circulated. This is 2020, christ knows what it was like in 1918 during the Spanish flu.

caretaker Mar 22nd 2020 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12825275)
Do we really trust the WHO? Their tweet below did not age well.

No one knows what the fack is going on, the thing that will hurt us the most is incorrect information being circulated. This is 2020, christ knows what it was like in 1918 during the Spanish flu.

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152?s=20

At the time, (based on the information they had), this was no doubt a truthful statement.

HGerchikov Mar 22nd 2020 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12825014)
Massive oversupply of eggs here, chickens keep churning them out, not going to work so can't sell them. Come and get a few dozen.

Advertise them on kijiji - I currently have a month's supply of duck eggs pre ordered, it's gone crazy. People pay through etransfer, text me their arrival time and I leave the eggs in a sanitized tote at the end of the driveway shortly before arrival time and they pick them up.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 22nd 2020 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 12825170)

I don't think they have gone that far in California, but I have a feeling it will come to that as people are still not cooperating, and at some point will have the California National Guard out enforcing orders even if it requires setting up check points randomly, still have people claiming what is happening in Italy and Spain can't happen in the US and Canada and that things will be back to normal by end of March.

In the US its a bit more difficult as every state want's to do things their own way, public health is largely a state level responsibility and some governors are more worried about political repercussions than doing the right thing.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 22nd 2020 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 12825174)
Anyone else have teenagers or young adults in the house who suffer from anxiety. My two have pretty much refused to watch the news in tv since they were in their mid teens. It’s was too depressing, and boring.

So I don’t know where they are getting their information now. Piecemeal via social media. I find myself having to feed news and facts, and guidelines to them in carefully worded texts so as not to freak them out but to get the seriousness of this across.

There would likely be a generation or two that simply don’t tune in to BBC or CBC or any other large national (reputable?) news outlet - and are still very slow to this party.

I try not to watch news in general and only read certain articles i come across, my wife is a news addict and always has some 24 hour news channel on, spends long periods of time on speaker phone with her mom non-stop at times both talking about it.

I am going bonkers day by day.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 22nd 2020 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12825192)

And it's spreading pretty quickly through So. California where its also not exactly cold.

Question is did this thing spread as quickly in countries south of the equator where it was summer when this all started.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 22nd 2020 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12825197)
Some condo buildings in Toronto have put a ban on all deliveries apart from food and meds. So far ours has asked to restrict online ordering. My daughter has a 5 yr old at home and is trying to keep her occupied by ordering games, puzzles, crafts etc. Online school lessons begin this week...hopefully that will occupy her for a while each day.

A few weeks ago when I mentioned being concerned about being able to get supplies, I was reassured deliveries would be an option etc, and turns out the companies can't even handle the demand, Amazon is basically useless for food on a good day, and now even worse due to lack fo stock, grocery stores who deliver can't handle it, websites keep crashing, orders being cancelled, orders only being partially filled, no delivery days for a week or more.

Time to rethink things in an emergency, and now more and more places closing and only taking credit cards furthers reduces the poor into struggle as poor/low income tend not to have credit cards.

I am still working on getting dog food, all the stores have closed or only doing online orders with delivery but have a minimum order of $75 or higher, and I don't have freezer space for that much dog food.

We are going to have to risk going out tomorrow for some groceries, we don't want to, but seems the only viable option, there is a 24 hour store still open 24 hours, so thinking maybe best time to go is 3am to avoid other people as much as possible.

I honestly am not sure I would survive if I caught it, my lungs are already mucousy when not sick and less serious viruses have led to pneumonia more than once for me.

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12825201)
This is purely speculation and my gut feeling, but I feel as though BC is on the verge on implementing a full lock down, similar to Spain & Italy within the next few days.

It's coming, reading between the lines its not hard to guess, and slowly as they have closed down regional parks, hiking trails and such, its pretty clear its coming soon as people are not listening.

So far a lot of my reading between the lines has been correct too, so I have a good track record, although its not 100%, but 2 days before California did shelter in place, I mentioned it and was shot down, well look what happened. When I raised concern about pet stores closing last week in a local pet group, I was attacked and accused of fear mongering, and look now several pet stores have chosen to close, and I imagine more will follow, just like California just because a pet store can remain open, doesn't mean they will remain open.

It amazing how little people listen, the news was out yesterday and stopped and asked 3 younger ladies why they were not social distancing one looked confused, and the other said it was too hard, and looked weird.

magnumpi Mar 22nd 2020 7:49 pm

It amazing how little people listen, the news was out yesterday and stopped and asked 3 younger ladies why they were not social distancing one looked confused, and the other said it was too hard, and looked weird.

we’re doomed !!

dave_j Mar 22nd 2020 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12825314)
we’re doomed !!

I'm afraid it's not that difficult.
We know that this virus is transferred by contact or coming into contact with contaminated surfaces or fluids.
We know that maintaining space and keeping extremities sanitised will result in a much lowered chance of catching the thing.
But we also know that driving sober saves lives.
The truth is that people simply don't care. They're selfish and impulsive.
You cannot save people from themselves, it's why the virus is winning, it exploits stupidity.

scilly Mar 22nd 2020 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12825014)

Wish I could!!! They would taste so much better than store-bought.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 22nd 2020 9:14 pm

Another example of people not understanding the situation.

scilly Mar 22nd 2020 9:23 pm

I'm now limiting how much I listen to or read about the virus. Not because I'm burying my head in the sand, but because I want to concentrate on what is really being said by those in charge, not the talking heads pontificating.

I listen to Trudeau's daily morning press call and questions on the CBC radio. I may listen to the noon or 1 pm news on CBC radio. That's so I know what the government is really saying.

I watch whatever is said about the daily press conferences by Adrian Dix and Bonnie Henry for what the Minister of Health and Provincial Health Officer are really saying.

If I want to know more or clarify what they said, then I google for the official report.

Life is hard enough at the moment, without getting my head in knots trying to make sense of all the false rumours floating around.

Some stores are limiting number of customers entering the building, and marking distances to stand ...... OH found that Best Buy on Marine Drive was doing that last Friday.

Safeway/Sobeys say they are installing plexiglass shields for their cashiers as fast as possible.

BC Transit and Translink are installing shields for their drivers ASAP

Grocery store orders online are going to take longer from order to delivery, but I might well have to try even if it is not Safeway which doesn't deliver but Save-On-Foods which does. But it may well mean having to think what I need a week ahead instead of immediately!

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 22nd 2020 9:45 pm

I don't consider online groceries a viable option at this point, even order online and pick up isn't viable unless you can plan 1+ week in advance what you need and hope its in stock when your delivery day is to occur.

Was going to try Super Store order online and pick up, but not one slot available between now and April 4th which is as far as their website goes at the moment.

Amazon is basically useless for most grocery needs and everything seems out of stock for the next 2-4 weeks. At least everything I checked came up out of stock and their selection is pretty limited.

Save On's website seems to barely function at this point and can't even sign in, trying several times a day since Friday on 2 different computers.

Downside to Save On is their prices tend to be on the high side. But I only get this when trying their website.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...b5084193ae.png

BEVS Mar 22nd 2020 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12825370)
I don't consider online groceries a viable option at this point, even order online and pick up isn't viable

Same here in NZ at the moment J.
I've had to use online shop and delivery or click and pick up by MrBEVS for the past 6/8 weeks because of the ankle but those services are now overwhelmed. Goodness knows how you actually get a slot. You can't and I tried for both the towns near us.

What foods does Charlee eat . I can't remember. Dusty has a mix of raw , wet and a little bit of dry ( kibble)

The world is going to pot but folks still expect plumbers to be out there to fix their toilets. :huh: