British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

magnumpi Sep 30th 2020 2:24 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Ontario is surging into a second wave

Jerseygirl Sep 30th 2020 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12916349)
Ontario is surging into a second wave

The Premier said a few days ago we had entered the second wave and predicted it will be worse than the first.

625 cases reported today...approx half are in Toronto.

Siouxie Sep 30th 2020 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12916389)
The Premier said a few days ago we had entered the second wave and it predicted he will be worse than the first.

625 cases reported today...approx half are in Toronto.

Eeek! Stay safe JG.....

caretaker Sep 30th 2020 4:57 pm

In Sask 7 new cases, 18 recoveries, 138 active cases.REGIONALLY:
  • Two active cases from the far north area (one far north west, one far north east)
  • Five active cases from the north area (zero north west, four north central, one north east)
  • 68 active cases from the Saskatoon area
  • 30 active cases from the Regina area
  • 26 active cases from the central area (eight central west, five central east)
  • Seven active cases from the south area (three south west, four south central, five south east)
A total of 1,447 COVID-19 tests were conducted in the province on Monday.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 30th 2020 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs (Post 12916317)
doesn't mention hours etc. I don't think its an unfair wage compared to what you can make in the trades (typically a similar demographic applying for the roles) - going to guess most firefighters aren't lacking in courage, drive etc and pride themselves on doing the right thing not the easy thing - typically i like to think those people get quite far in life, regardless of their decision to be a firefighter or not..

This is the typical schedule for firefighters in Vancouver.

"Vancouver firefighters work on an eight day schedule with an average of 42 hours per week. The schedule includes two day shifts of 10 hours and two night shifts of 14 hours followed by four days off."

The pay in Vancouver is s $69,204 for the first 6 months, and then goes up from there, $98,868 when reaching their 4th year and $104,796 at 15 years.

All before any over-time of course.

I can't find working hours for Kamloops.

Danny B Sep 30th 2020 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12916421)

I can't find working hours for Kamloops.

When I was working with the RCMP we used to joke about the fire fighters shifts. We used to call it two playdates and two sleepovers as they are allowed to sleep at night. :lol:

Kamloops RCMP work two 12hr days, two 12hr nights, then 4 off. Can't really go home for a nap as the cruisers are tracked via GPS for safety.

Danny B Sep 30th 2020 6:21 pm

I wonder how many 1st year Uni students around the world are behaving like this each night. I have a horrible feeling that Christmas at home will be cancelled.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...rsity-12085726

Pulaski Sep 30th 2020 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12916433)
My kids and I are going round in circles trying to figure out Christmas plans.
Eldest daughter is in Seattle, middle son in Edinburgh and littlest in Ottawa and I'm in Texas...
littlest has to come back at Christmas because her dorms close up so she will have 2 weeks of quarantine ( real quarantine = must stay in dorm room with food delivered to her) when she returns to Canada in January no matter where we all meet up.
Son will have quarantine if he comes back here.
Me and 2 daughters will have quarantine if we go to the UK....

my son hasn't seen any of us since end of February and he's been through a lot - for his mental wellbeing he needs to be with his family.
We've been talking it through and can't come up with a good plan.

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12916442)
I wonder how many 1st year Uni students around the world are behaving like this each night. I have a horrible feeling that Christmas at home will be cancelled. ....

I agree - pulling students onto campus / into halls in August was a huge mistake, and sending them home again for a "mandatory" off-campus break at Christmas is going to multiply the problem. Worse, I assume that the students will be recalled again after Christmas, and if the break is only two weeks, then at least the international students will have spent their entire Christmas quarantined, and presumably subject to another two weeks of quaratine on return to campus after Christmas.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 30th 2020 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12916439)
When I was working with the RCMP we used to joke about the fire fighters shifts. We used to call it two playdates and two sleepovers as they are allowed to sleep at night. :lol:

Kamloops RCMP work two 12hr days, two 12hr nights, then 4 off. Can't really go home for a nap as the cruisers are tracked via GPS for safety.

I could never do a job where it was 2 day shifts and then 2 night shifts, I need consistency in order to sleep....lol

My mom was a paramedic in California for 20 years, always worked the same shift though, they didn't flip flop, you were either all nights or all days. My mom chose nights 6pm to 6am. They didn't have a station but were allowed to sleep when waiting for calls, but had to take turns, since one had to be awake to listen for calls.

When I did 12.5 hour shifts at the airport, 4pm to 6pm was downtime so I would take a nap to recoup some energy to make it through the last 6 hours.

My wife has a psychiatrist nurse friend, she says they can sleep overnight shifts, they take turns through the night, since patients are sleeping, overnight shift in the psych ward seems pretty easy, most patients are drugged erm medicated before bed, so sleep like babies.

I liked the 12.5 hour shifts simply because I only had to work 3 days a week, with 4 off each week, rather worker longer hours but less days.

Former Lancastrian Sep 30th 2020 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12916439)

Known as 2 x BBQ/clean trucks day and clean trucks/2 sleeps for the less busier fire houses. Plus quite a lot have 2nd jobs on their 4 days off and I am guessing a lot of money under the table jobs.

Pulaski Sep 30th 2020 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12916470)
Known as 2 x BBQ/clean trucks day and clean trucks/2 sleeps for the less busier fire houses. Plus quite a lot have 2nd jobs on their 4 days off and I am guessing a lot of money under the table jobs.

With improvements in wiring codes, reduced use of open fires for heating, widespread use of home smoke detectors, and a marked decline in smoking, most fire stations are much less busy than they were 40-50 years ago. I most commonly see fire engines at the scene of a road accident. ..... Which probably explains why a recent fire at a home a few miles from my home was attended by fire engines apparently from across the county - I heard reports of there being as many as 10-12 engines, :blink: and none of the stations here have more than four engines at most, and many only have two, or one.

Oh, and the fire? Someone had set fire to a wheelie bin, which had scorched the siding of the home, but a neighbour had extinguished the fire by the time the first fire engine showed up. :rofl:

Jerseygirl Sep 30th 2020 8:11 pm

:focus: This thread is to discuss the Coronovirus ONLY.

Can we please keep this thread on topic? If you wish to discuss salaries/hours of FF/paramedics etc, please open a new thread.

thanks.

Jerseygirl Oct 2nd 2020 2:27 pm

Numbers up again yesterday...732 new cases in Ontario.

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-re...week-1.5130003

Siouxie Oct 2nd 2020 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12917421)
Numbers up again yesterday...732 new cases in Ontario.

Oh hell.. 2nd wave here we go :(

It had dipped as low as 85 as recently as early August but public health officials said earlier this week that it has been doubling every 10 to 12 days since then....

They also warned that Ontario will see more than 1,000 daily cases of COVID-19 in the first half of this month, assuming current trends persist....
Might have to start putting a few loaves of bread, fish, meat and vegetables in the freezer again..

Jerseygirl Oct 2nd 2020 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12917517)
Oh hell.. 2nd wave here we go :(

Might have to start putting a few loaves of bread, fish, meat and vegetables in the freezer again..

Well over 300 schools in Ontario have reported cases. ER Doctor friends of my daughter said they were expecting the 2nd wave in October, they were right. We seem to be getting back to the same position as we were in in March. Difference is, that was the end of the winter and this is the beginning of the winter. :eek:

I have been buying a few extra non perishable bits and pieces for a while now. I have a side by side fridge/freezer, have been considerIng buying a chest freezer for the garage but kept putting it off.