British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Piff Poff Mar 19th 2020 8:47 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12823653)
I always had Quik-Stop handy when clipping nails, and accidents do happen. There's nothing wrong with leaving a bit extra and just doing it more often.

I know corn starch works like quik stop too. Nails are my cringey thing. I can watch all sorts of gorey things but poking things under nails etc just turns my stomach, never ever did the last two pups nails, never cut my daughters nails, I might just have to get brave if everything shuts down though.

Puppy classes now cancelled, I was offered 4 x 30 minute private classes instead of the 6 x one hour but the main reason we are doing puppy classes is for the socialization of the puppy. Me being home so much isn't helping her separation anxiety either, I'm going to have to go out an about every day anyway, so I'll just have to drive around lol.

All very small issues and if this is as bad as it gets for us I will count myself extremely lucky.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 19th 2020 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12823659)
after the 14 day isolation period they can no longer pass it on/are infection.

that’s why a 30 day shut down period is being recommended

Yep the longer people go out and about like nothing is happening the longer it will take to get over it.

Even Vegas has been shut down, never thought I'd live to see that.

Jerseygirl Mar 19th 2020 8:56 pm

My daughter paid for granddaughter to go to day camp next Monday. It has been cancelled but the owner doesn’t want to refund the $200+ it cost. My daughter feels sorry for her and doesn’t want to put her out of biz. She has also 11 weeks of summer camp booked, at various camps. So far these haven’t been cancelled but if they are will they refund the $1,000 to $1,500 per week paid in January? :eek:

Almost Canadian Mar 19th 2020 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12823659)
after the 14 day isolation period they can no longer pass it on/are infection.

that’s why a 30 day shut down period is being recommended

OK

So why are our leaders not proposing this?

BristolUK Mar 19th 2020 9:06 pm

My stepdaughter was told today that her store - HomeSense - is closing for two weeks. I'm not unhappy about that and they're even paying the employees as normal for the shifts they'd have been working.

So now we can shut ourselves off from the outside world - except online, of course - for a few weeks.

Weather's getting better so we can go for walks.

Jerseygirl Mar 19th 2020 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12823675)
OK

So why are our leaders not proposing this?

that’s what many want to know and are asking country's’ leaders to lockdown...but they seem to be resisting. IMO it is bound to happen, but is not quick enough.

HGerchikov Mar 19th 2020 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12823705)
that’s what many want to know and are asking country's’ leaders to lockdown...but they seem to be resisting. IMO it is bound to happen, but is not quick enough.

We need all countries to do it at the same time though, or be rigorous about any travel between countries that did not comply - otherwise it will start all over again. The people who chose to travel after the government strongly requested that we didn't should be locked up on their return. It makes me so angry that small businesses are doing everything they can to help by closing down, even though many of them will not recover, and yet that is being negated by morons going on vacation and coming back infected.

Piff Poff Mar 19th 2020 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12823669)
My daughter paid for granddaughter to go to day camp next Monday. It has been cancelled but the owner doesn’t want to refund the $200+ it cost. My daughter feels sorry for her and doesn’t want to put her out of biz. She has also 11 weeks of summer camp booked, at various camps. So far these haven’t been cancelled but if they are will they refund the $1,000 to $1,500 per week paid in January? :eek:

If the day camp has been cancelled she should get a refund, if it's been postponed that's different. At the minimum there should be a credit.

Jerseygirl Mar 19th 2020 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 12823713)
We need all countries to do it at the same time though, or be rigorous about any travel between countries that did not comply - otherwise it will start all over again. The people who chose to travel after the government strongly requested that we didn't should be locked up on their return. It makes me so angry that small businesses are doing everything they can to help by closing down, even though many of them will not recover, and yet that is being negated by morons going on vacation and coming back infected.

yes I should have said that. Thanks :)

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 12823714)
If the day camp has been cancelled she should get a refund, if it's been postponed that's different. At the minimum there should be a credit.

the woman wants to postpone until the summer camp season. Problem is summer camp has already been booked and paid for...including time spent at her camp. I said to call her CC company and put it in dispute...but she feels sorry for the woman trying to keep the company afloat.

BristolUK Mar 19th 2020 10:20 pm

State of emergency declared in NB. Most retail to close - Pharm, grocery, cannabis and liquor store exempt. Delivery and take-out only for food.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 19th 2020 10:35 pm

Remember social distancing means:

No visits with friends or family if you don't live together.
No play dates for your children
No dinners or coffee meet ups.

The Toronto health officer gave a pretty good speech about that and listed of things that are not social distancing that people keep doing.

I will admit I am going bonkers inside, apartment/condo is about the worst with no access to a yard, and my wife and I are driving each other crazy, we may hate one another at the end of this....lol

For her and many others with mental health issues, social isolation is really bad, difficult to maintain good mental health when socially isolated and is the opposite of what you would normally be told to do, hoping she does go manic over this, would suck for her to be stuck in a hospital right now, especially with no visitors allowed.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 19th 2020 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12823705)

I think in a way they want people to get used to things before dropping the hammer, I still think in the next couple days they will become serious and invoke emergency measures and start doing what areas of the US have done, mandatory shelter at home, only essential travel to/from essential business allowed and provide a list of stores and business that can remain open.

The wording from the state department warning in the US, leads me to believe air travel will soon be shut down or heavily restricted in the coming days. They are past the you should not travel to you need to come home now if you want to or plan to stay where you are for an indefinite period.

The US is also restricting emergency access to passports, emergency services will only be provided in very specific circumstances, regular passport service is being slowed, any application received today onward will no longer qualify for expedited service and delays in issuing new passports may occur.

Looks like the land border restrictions will come into force tomorrow, got a slew of emails from Pt. Roberts business saying effective tomorrow they plan on the border being closed .

CanadaJimmy Mar 19th 2020 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12823717)
I said to call her CC company and put it in dispute...but she feels sorry for the woman trying to keep the company afloat.

But it is a company not a charity. It may sound cold but it is not her responsibility to pay effectively a donation with no service rendered to help her business. She should file a dispute/chargeback, 100%.

caretaker Mar 19th 2020 11:00 pm

The Hungarian Club closes tomorrow at end of business day. :(

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 19th 2020 11:15 pm

40 new cases in BC, total now 271. We seem to be climbing 40 per day.

1 additional death, 17 in hospital now with 5 in ICU

152 in Vancouver Coastal Health, 81 in Fraser Health, 22 island Health, 12 in the Interior Health, and 4 in Northern Health. BC is divided into health regions for our healthcare services, Vancouver Coastal Health includes Vancouver, Richmond, up through Whistler and the Sunshine Coast. Fraser Health is Burnaby east up to Boston Bar, Island Health is Vancouver Island.

I like the graph they have in the article that makes it appear there was a decline since Monday when 83 new cases were reported, but what the graph doesn't how is they skipped the daily briefing on Sunday, so Monday's count was higher because they didn't do the briefing on Sunday.

Looks like the usual waiting period for healthcare for new arrivals will be waived for some new arrivals.

"Health minister Adrian Dix announced that the wait period for MSP for people returning to B.C. will be waived for those returning from impacted areas, and those who have been outside of B.C. for longer than is normally allowed."

BC is waiting on an order of ventilators to arrive, once the order arrives, they will announce how many, so seems like they are not sure how many they will be able to obtain.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...eath-1.5503640

Jerseygirl Mar 19th 2020 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy (Post 12823728)
But it is a company not a charity. It may sound cold but it is not her responsibility to pay effectively a donation with no service rendered to help her business. She should file a dispute/chargeback, 100%.

I know and I would want my money back...but my daughter takes after my husband...not me. They are too nice. ;)

Atlantic Xpat Mar 19th 2020 11:33 pm

In this part of the world there is little talk about 14 or 30 days. We're being told that social distancing will be a longer term thing. The schools shut on Tuesday for an "indefinite period". That was clarified the following day by the Provincial Minister of Health that we're talking months not weeks. Communications from the school board make it clear that return is not anticipated before the new academic year. (September). A state of emergency has been declared - pubs, gyms etc closed. Restaurants that can maintain social distancing (<50 people) stay open but can't be far from being closed. Many have gone to take out only. Provincial Govt employees sent to work from home, Towns and Cities ditto with recreation facilities and town halls closed. Many private business (incl. the one I work for) have sent their staff home.

We have one confirmed case and two presumptive. The confirmed case is someone who returned from a cruise, the presumptive cases are relatives of that person. Marine Atlantic (the ferry that links Newfoundland to NS) is limited to 250 passengers at a time. Air traffic is shortly going to come down to a pretty minimal level across Canada with Porter shutting down & WJ / AC severely cutting schedules. So it feels like the country is pretty much heading towards complete lockdown. The US border closure is, I think, a good thing given the shit show thats going on down south.

This will go on for months. It's entirely possible we'll get through the peak, life will return to some semblance of normal for the virus to reappear and for lockdown to happen again. That could happen continually until a viable vaccine is available IMHO. Whether we'll all still be working by that point or all on universal basic income and whether we've managed not to kill our families members by that point are things I care not to predict!

Teaandtoday5 Mar 19th 2020 11:58 pm

Tomorrow the final $350 payment will be taken off my credit card for the school band trip to Montreal that my daughter is supposed to go on in May. We have heard nothing from the travel company or the school.:(

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 12:01 am

While the border remains open for commercial goods, appears insurance companies are unwilling to provide coverage for COVID related medical.

"Major insurance companies won’t guarantee they’ll honor COVID-19 related medical claims by truckers crossing the American border."

As regards to doing a charge back for services, keep in mind when one does that the place getting the charge back may kindly request you no longer do business with them.

Jerseygirl Mar 20th 2020 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12823761)
While the border remains open for commercial goods, appears insurance companies are unwilling to provide coverage for COVID related medical.

"Major insurance companies won’t guarantee they’ll honor COVID-19 related medical claims by truckers crossing the American border."

As regards to doing a charge back for services, keep in mind when one does that the place getting the charge back may kindly request you no longer do business with them.

That’s fine...if they refuse me a refund I certainly will not be doing biz with them again.

BEVS Mar 20th 2020 12:42 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12823183)
Could come in handy if there's a toilet paper crisis. I'm a caretaker and have 7 cases of 2ply at work, and the keys for several different types of commercial dispensers. If the Chinese curve model holds true and we ride this out for 2 or 3 months there should be gradual easing of restrictions. We should be able to handle that without getting all Lord of the Flies. Why, when I was a boy we were under threat of nuclear attack and we didn't collapse. Canadian Pacific built and stocked a bomb shelter in the basement of our railway station, and at school we learned to crawl under our desks and protect our heads with our arms. This is an inconvenience, not the end of the world, and it isn't the last or worst pandemic the world is likely to face; so we could in fact be practicing for an even more devastating one, so it's important we learn from it.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...e0f38a1108.jpg

Danny B Mar 20th 2020 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12823723)
Remember social distancing means:

No visits with friends or family if you don't live together.
No play dates for your children
No dinners or coffee meet ups.

The Toronto health officer gave a pretty good speech about that and listed of things that are not social distancing that people keep doing.

I will admit I am going bonkers inside, apartment/condo is about the worst with no access to a yard, and my wife and I are driving each other crazy, we may hate one another at the end of this....lol

For her and many others with mental health issues, social isolation is really bad, difficult to maintain good mental health when socially isolated and is the opposite of what you would normally be told to do, hoping she does go manic over this, would suck for her to be stuck in a hospital right now, especially with no visitors allowed.

It's a funny old world innit. All these years I've been mocking millennials for spending too much time in their parents basement playing video games, now when they are told to stay inside, all of a sudden, everyone complains and wants to go out for a coffee.

This isn't directed at you JSmith, just an observation from my twitter feed.

Danny B Mar 20th 2020 1:00 am

#1 trending video to watch right now. Now that everyone is at home we can all spend 8 mins to learn all the facts about this virus.

BristolUK Mar 20th 2020 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12823771)
It's a funny old world innit.

:nod:
An email from Galen Weston says the Loblaws/Superstore stores will no longer be charging the 5c for plastic bags and will be discouraging use of the re-usable ones.

BEVS Mar 20th 2020 1:07 am

She has also 11 weeks of summer camp booked, at various camps. So far these haven’t been cancelled but if they are will they refund the $1,000 to $1,500 per week paid in January?

That may be a typo JG? It says mega $ a week rather than for the month/period.

BEVS Mar 20th 2020 1:09 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12823730)
The Hungarian Club closes tomorrow at end of business day. :(

Bugger :(

I have been a bit concerned for your employment MrCaretaker.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 1:14 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12823777)
:nod:
An email from Galen Weston says the Loblaws/Superstore stores will no longer be charging the 5c for plastic bags and will be discouraging use of the re-usable ones.

That is a good plan. Most people don't clean reusable bags well they are nasty germ filled grossness.

I am sure the lack of flights and reduction in cars on the roads, and slowing economy will do more benefit to offset some extra plastic bags used.

I am hoping companies will see hey we don't need everyone in the office everyday, and set up more employees to work from home, that would make a nice dent in emissions from cars.

Piff Poff Mar 20th 2020 1:29 am

Daughters full time job is going to be making lay offs, yet to find out the extent.

Piff Poff Mar 20th 2020 1:33 am

Alberta has had its 1st death. Someone with underlying medical issues.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 1:58 am

Governor of California has issued a shelter in place for the entire state now, almost 40 million people live in California.

https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/gov-...or-california/

Translink is going to suspend bus fares in an effort to distance drivers from passengers, only rear door will be used.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/translink-susp...cing-1.4860436

Siouxie Mar 20th 2020 3:25 am

https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-regist...nst-sars-cov-2 Official list of disinfectants
2nd list - https://www.nea.gov.sg/our-services/...on-of-covid-19

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 4:45 am

Scammers don't take long. Just got a scam call " you have been infected by COVID, please hold for a medical professional, and have a credit card ready."

Air Canada is laying off 3,600 mainline Air Canada flight attendants and all 1,549 Rouge flight attendants. I imagine more lay offs from other work groups will occur soon.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6706293/c...LxcM67uLqbssRM

Oink Mar 20th 2020 6:21 am

I'm not sure about the symptoms. Is your knob meant it itch?

dave_j Mar 20th 2020 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12823861)
I'm not sure about the symptoms. Is your knob meant it itch?

Only if you paint it grey, stroke it and think it's a pet slug.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 6:42 am

Pacific Coastal suspending service March 24 until May 3. Looks like if any of the airlines and companies I applied for last year, had they hired me, I would still be unemployed now it seems.

https://www.pacificcoastal.com/presidents-message/

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 6:43 am

Pacific Coastal suspending service March 24 until May 3. Looks like if any of the airlines and companies I applied for last year, had they hired me, I would still be unemployed now it seems.

https://www.pacificcoastal.com/presidents-message/

In the US more and more ATC towers seem to be closing for cleaning as employees test positive, I think its time as hard as it is to shut down airlines. Only allow cargo flights, can operate with skeleton ATC with just limited cargo flights in the air.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 7:20 am

I am going to email them tomorrow but wonder if food bank will deliver to people if they become ill and can't afford to buy food?

Online ordering for food at most stores seems to be anywhere from 7 to 10 days out because of extreme demand.

Anyone on PWD isn't likely to get help beyond that, and those who worked part-time and lost their jobs may not be able to support themselves on PWD alone and so far no mention of changes there.

Jingsamichty Mar 20th 2020 8:51 am

The project secretary on my job in Germany just messaged that her sister-in-law in Milan, age 45, has died of coronavirus. She reports the situation in Milan as being "like hell on earth".

dbd33 Mar 20th 2020 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12823890)
The project secretary on my job in Germany just messaged that her sister-in-law in Milan, age 45, has died of coronavirus. She reports the situation in Milan as being "like hell on earth".

My daughter's husband is stuck in Milan. This post prompted me to ask about him "bored but fine". However, the daughter mentioned an Italian friend who has lost two uncles. Daughter's-friend's-uncles is quite far removed but close enough to keep me indoors.

Almost Canadian Mar 20th 2020 1:18 pm

I thought that this was interesting and, while I think it is a bit of a stretch to agree with his conspiracy theory, his comments about COVID-19 appear credible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbEH...aYdohh9uN921Yw