British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Shard Jul 25th 2020 4:01 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12887097)
It's the running complaint online with young people in Vancouver blaming boomers for not wearing masks, but reality is I saw just as many 50+ people wearing masks as I did 30 and under wearing masks, there seemed to be no consistency in mask wearing based on age. But Vancouver young adults seem to have this massive hate for boomers, its really odd to read and listen to. They seem to think all boomers are wealthy and sitting on piles of cash.

In Kelowna, I don't see high mask usage, at least compared to Vancouver, but its mostly older people wearing masks from what I have noticed, not young people. But there is far less masks being worn in general out this way, which seems consistent with the lower mainland as well, the more blue collar and conservative areas of the LM have less mask usage as well.

I guess less population density means the transmission risk is lower.

The inter-generational angst in Vancouver is understandable, although the sky high property prices are not directly their doing.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 25th 2020 6:10 pm

• July 10 – Delta 3569 — Vancouver to Seattle
  • July 11 – American Airlines 1415 — Dallas to Vancouver
  • July 12 – Air Canada 214 — Vancouver to Calgary
  • July 17 – Air Canada 855 — London to Vancouver
Most recent flights to/from Vancouver with possible COVID exposure.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 25th 2020 6:20 pm

30 year old man in Toronto, finally awake and off ventilator. 59 days on the ventilator, lost 130 pounds. Other members of his family also had the virus but recovered.

Currently he is unable to walk, and has limited strength in his arms and will be discharged soon from hospital to a rehabilitation centre.

Article here.

BristolUK Jul 25th 2020 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12887111)
I guess less population density means the transmission risk is lower.

A comparison with Montreal and Toronto is interesting. Montreal's population is about two-thirds that of Toronto.
For population density per km2 Montreal is 3,889 and Toronto 4,334.
Montreal has a slightly smaller population density but has over 28,000 cases as opposed to Toronto's 15,000.

Is a crowded subway to blame? According to wiki, Toronto subway ridership is 1.58m while Montreal's is 1.367m. So even with that Montreal's figure is lower.

What are the reasons for Montreal having nearly twice as many cases?

Siouxie Jul 25th 2020 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12887172)
  • July 10 – Delta 3569 — Vancouver to Seattle
  • July 11 – American Airlines 1415 — Dallas to Vancouver
  • July 12 – Air Canada 214 — Vancouver to Calgary
  • July 17 – Air Canada 855 — London to Vancouver
Most recent flights to/from Vancouver with possible COVID exposure.

Ouch - waiting for the next increase in positive tests in BC :(

Shard Jul 25th 2020 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12887231)
A comparison with Montreal and Toronto is interesting. Montreal's population is about two-thirds that of Toronto.
Montreal has a slightly smaller population density but has over 28,000 cases as opposed to Toronto's 15,000.

Is a crowded subway to blame? According to wiki, Toronto subway ridership is 1.58m while Montreal's is 1.367m. So even with that Montreal's figure is lower.

No idea. Quebec being more tactile than Ontario? Timing of the initial infection, and timing of lockdown measures? Intergenerational households? Poutine?

Siouxie Jul 25th 2020 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12887243)
No idea. Quebec being more tactile than Ontario? Timing of the initial infection, and timing of lockdown measures? Intergenerational households? Poutine?

All those double/triple cheek kisses perhaps! :D

BristolUK Jul 25th 2020 7:40 pm

It was my mother in law's birthday yesterday and she wanted Poutine for dinner. If that's the cause, one of us will be quarantined for a bit. :lol:

bats Jul 25th 2020 8:02 pm

Maybe French, when she is spoken, is more spitty?

BristolUK Jul 25th 2020 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12887262)
Maybe French, when she is spoken, is more spitty?

The Dutch must have no chance. :lol:

caretaker Jul 25th 2020 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12887299)
The Dutch must have no chance. :lol:

Neither of them were a match for the Spitzkrieg.

BristolUK Jul 25th 2020 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12887314)
Neither of them were a match for the Spitzkrieg.

Or 'Flemish' speakers

Shard Jul 25th 2020 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12887251)
It was my mother in law's birthday yesterday and she wanted Poutine for dinner. If that's the cause, one of us will be quarantined for a bit. :lol:

Fabulous. :thumbup: Who made it ?

BristolUK Jul 26th 2020 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12887351)
Fabulous. :thumbup: Who made it ?

Pub grub delivered

Pulaski Jul 27th 2020 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12887231)

In the US there has been a suggestion that the coronavirus message on hygiene, SD, and masks has been getting through and/or accepted more in the English-speaking population than the non-(primarily) English-speaking (notably Spanish) speaking population.