British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

spouse of scouse Mar 16th 2020 5:22 am

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12821481)
:thumbs_up: Good to hear from you and thanks for doing what you do.

+1 thanks Stinkypup and Mrs Stinkypup :heart:

Siouxie Mar 16th 2020 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12821461)
On one of my occasional visits to this forum given what is going on, for what is is worth, here is an opinion from someone who will be on the front line of the situation rather than working from home. As usual, there are the usual armchair experts, everyone of course is entitled to their opinion and nobody really knows how this is going to truly pan out but here are my thoughts.
>...
Siouxie, you have every right to feel anxious I am afraid, thankfully you are in a country which is taking this very seriously. You are in a position I hope to take yourself away from things for a prolonged period to keep yourself safe and you should do so. You need not panic, just be your usual sensible self. I would agree that too many people have been very blasé about Covid 19, even on this forum playing down the risks. People in their 30s and 40s and 50s are dying in Italy and that will happen around the world if some degree of control is not achieved I saw the Washington post article that dbd33 linked to and I think it demonstrates things extremely well.
>...
Just my thoughts... carry on- I will get back to work trying to help the likes of you lot!

Stinkypup! Yay!!! Very good to see you here - thank you for thinking of us and taking the time to stop by - I hope you will hang around a little, when time permits.. you have been missed (and the lovely snoopdawg). Thank you also for your assurance that I'm not over reacting. I've got supplies in and plan on laying low, as much as possible. I have done a lot of research and also read something written by an ICU doctor in Italy which gave the front line reality there and just how awful Covid-19 is and what effects it can have on those that contract it and those that have to take care of them. It appears to have been taken down, but I have it saved as a pdf if anyone wants to read it..

Please take the greatest care of yourselves - you are on the front line and putting yourselves at risk (as does my nephew, a paramedic) ... thank you for all that you do - and will do more of in the coming weeks..
:wave:

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 16th 2020 5:44 am

I miss stinkypup, glad to see a post and still alive.

I am trying not worry, I am not feeling well, very tired all day, now flu like feeling when flu is first starting, a very mild dry cough, and a very mild fever, I hope its just a regular flu.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 16th 2020 6:26 am

I have a feeling some restrictions will be announced tomorrow. Prime Minister will be addressing the nation at 10am Pacific Time according to our provincial government, I had trouble finding an article but our health minister tweeted it, followed by a BC provincial address to the province at 11am.

Oink Mar 16th 2020 7:33 am

I'm going to spend a lot of time fishing in remote places with copious amounts of sandwiches, alcohol and pork pies while ignoring the tenfold increase in work demands.

Nand Mar 16th 2020 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12821497)
I miss stinkypup, glad to see a post and still alive.

I am trying not worry, I am not feeling well, very tired all day, now flu like feeling when flu is first starting, a very mild dry cough, and a very mild fever, I hope its just a regular flu.

Are you going to get tested? It sounds like the symptoms they have listed.

Jerseygirl Mar 16th 2020 10:45 am

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly (Post 12821574)
Are you going to get tested? It sounds like the symptoms they have listed.

unless you have been near someone who is infected or just returned from certain countries you will not be tested. Even then you need to display certain symptoms...high temp and dry cough are the key symptoms. At least that’s the case in Ontario.

magnumpi Mar 16th 2020 1:02 pm

How many had temps coughs and sickness Dec to Feb, I had a cold in Feb, first week, it cleared, also I have had a dry cough for months now, seen doc this week and changed my ACE inhibitors to ARBs as it’s a ACE cough, common when taking heart meds

is tricky to know what’s what I guess

dbd33 Mar 16th 2020 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12821605)
How many had temps coughs and sickness Dec to Feb, I had a cold in Feb, first week, it cleared, also I have had a dry cough for months now

It's Canada in the winter. If you're not a bit sick then you're a snowbird.

BristolUK Mar 16th 2020 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12821605)
How many had temps coughs and sickness Dec to Feb, I had a cold in Feb, first week, it cleared, also I have had a dry cough for months now, seen doc this week and changed my ACE inhibitors to ARBs as it’s a ACE cough, common when taking heart meds

is tricky to know what’s what I guess

Maybe check temperature - but without drinking a cup of tea first :lol:
(depending where you stick the thermometer of course ;))

magnumpi Mar 16th 2020 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12821611)
Maybe check temperature - but without drinking a cup of tea first :lol:
(depending where you stick the thermometer of course ;))

No temp, (except for when I had a cold and I sweated that out) and when I lie down my ACE cough goes away. I have had it since August and a dry nose for over a year. Time to change meds. Takes time tho for the change over to work.

dave_j Mar 16th 2020 3:17 pm

My parents lived in the UK through two world wars, a depression, a land without social health care for much of their younger lives and little or no social services.
Most of us have lived without major threats to life and limb and see overseas events like wars and famine as something that happens elsewhere.
Well, today there's a threat out there that doesn't discriminate between wealth, sex, race or religion, and it's a novel experience for me and I've come to realise that times have changed and behaviour will need to change as a result.
Very likely we won't like it and unforeseen events will take their toll.
Will we rise to the challenge as well as our parents did? Time will tell.
Best of good fortune to everyone out there.

Jerseygirl Mar 16th 2020 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12821659)
My parents lived in the UK through two world wars, a depression, a land without social health care for much of their younger lives and little or no social services.
Most of us have lived without major threats to life and limb and see overseas events like wars and famine as something that happens elsewhere.
Well, today there's a threat out there that doesn't discriminate between wealth, sex, race or religion, and it's a novel experience for me and I've come to realise that times have changed and behaviour will need to change as a result.

Well said. :goodpost:

Times will be tough for a while, no doubt extremely tough, but society will bounce back eventually. Hubby and I were talking earlier - this is our new normal life now. Find lots of jobs to do around the place, take your time doing them, have a cuppa every hour :D and think of all the good things in your life.

dbd33 Mar 16th 2020 3:41 pm

Well, today there's a threat out there that doesn't discriminate between wealth, sex, race or religion

The threat may not discriminate, as the threat of a hurricane or earthquake does not directly discriminate, but the unequal circumstances of the threatened certainly make a difference. If there are limited supplies; of food, of test kits, of hospital beds then money will decide who gets them. In trying times, one should avoid being poor.

dbd33 Mar 16th 2020 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12821671)
Well said. :goodpost:

Times will be tough for a while, no doubt extremely tough, but society will bounce back eventually. Hubby and I were talking earlier - this is our new normal life now. Find lots of jobs to do around the place, take your time doing them, have a cuppa every hour :D and think of all the good things in your life.

Also, while the market and the price of toys is down, buy a Ferrari.

Gozit Mar 16th 2020 3:45 pm

For me, college classes are cancelled this week, moved online for the 2 weeks after that, and we are supposed to go back to school when the kids go back to public school. We will see if that actually happens or if they keep classes online.

Other then that, life is mostly normal for me still, other then not booking any international travel. I am mostly staying at home, but have plans to go to Ikea this week and buy a table, have been helping friends move into their new home, and will keep up with my studies.

Still going to the gym, shopping, out for walks and appointments as necessary.

I am an uber driver but have elected to stop doing that until this blows over so that people who may have come into contact with COVID aren't going in and out of my car.

I don't have any ultra-recent international travel and am not feeling sick so at this time, i'm not fully isolating.

Jerseygirl Mar 16th 2020 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12821678)
For me, college classes are cancelled this week, moved online for the 2 weeks after that, and we are supposed to go back to school when the kids go back to public school. We will see if that actually happens or if they keep classes online.

Other then that, life is mostly normal for me still, other then not booking any international travel. I am mostly staying at home, but have plans to go to Ikea this week and buy a table, have been helping friends move into their new home, and will keep up with my studies.

Still going to the gym, shopping, out for walks and appointments as necessary.

I am an uber driver but have elected to stop doing that until this blows over so that people who may have come into contact with COVID aren't going in and out of my car.

I don't have any ultra-recent international travel and am not feeling sick so at this time, i'm not fully isolating.

I would have thought gyms were a breeding ground for the virus. I think many have closed.

Pulaski Mar 16th 2020 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12821689)
I would have thought gyms were a breeding ground for the virus. I think many have closed.

Viruses cannot "breed" outside of a host. I agree that the risk of transmission of the virus at a gym would be greater, but it is the bodies visiting the gym that are the "breeding grounds".

...., I'm not fully isolating.

That reminds me of the joke about "being a little bit pregnant". :rolleyes:

IMO your decision is at best misguided, and arguably selfish - you are both putting yourself at risk of catching the virus and also of being a vector, passing it to others. Fetching food is understandable, but non-essential activities that put you into close contact with others, such as visiting a gym, or going anywhere where people gather, would be best avoided even if not for your own safety, then for the safety of others.

Siouxie Mar 16th 2020 4:55 pm

Ontario have limited testing as they are conserving the swabs needed :( https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-symptoms-but/

My step daughter, her husband and 3 kids are all sick, fever, coughing their lungs out... and have been told they won't be tested despite recently coming back from Mexico. Never mind that they have been in contact with probably hundreds of people in their day-to-day lives over the past 10 days... :(

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 16th 2020 5:19 pm

If it gets to a point there are food shortages, and I end up homeless (which is a very real possibility for a lot of people if their income stops) I think I'll throw in the towel and call it a day,

I am not feeling any worse than last night, but body aches, a mild dry cough, and only a slight fever 99.9, so just gonna stay inside and wait it out.

I will need to consider cancelling my training myself at this point, sucks but its not feasible at this point, bad timing out of anyone's control.

My biggest concern is maintaining housing long term, one of many downsides to renting, in times of crises your left in a more precarious positions, banks may defer mortgages, but you can't defer rent like a loan can be, can tack payments onto the back of a loan and extend it a bit, not possible with rent. So no idea what the future holds at this point.

Jamesy5008 Mar 16th 2020 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12818924)
I know exactly what you mean. My Wife is Filipino

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...175426bf6f.jpg

Luxury son, bloody luxury!

Gozit Mar 16th 2020 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12821696)
Viruses cannot "breed" outside of a host. I agree that the risk of transmission of the virus at a gym would be greater, but it is the bodies visiting the gym that are the "breeding grounds".

That reminds me of the joke about "being a little bit pregnant". :rolleyes:

IMO your decision is at best misguided, and arguably selfish - you are both putting yourself at risk of catching the virus and also of being a vector, passing it to others. Fetching food is understandable, but non-essential activities that put you into close contact with others, such as visiting a gym, or going anywhere where people gather, would be best avoided even if not for your own safety, then for the safety of others.

If the government wants people to stop going out they will require mandatory isolation as has been done in other countries - that hasn't happened here yet. "Encouraging" or "recommending" will not do a lot to keep everyone from going out - legally binding legislation is needed if that is the action that the government wants citizens to take.

dbd33 Mar 16th 2020 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12821765)
If the government wants people to stop going out they will require mandatory isolation as has been done in other countries - that hasn't happened here yet. "Encouraging" or "recommending" will not do a lot to keep everyone from going out - legally binding legislation is needed if that is the action that the government wants citizens to take.

Well, yes, trusting the public to display good sense is a recipe for disaster.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 16th 2020 6:32 pm

BC has over 100 cases now, and 3 more deaths all from the care center. At this point we wont really get accurate numbers they are only testing the most severe cases, so vast majority of people who get it wont be tested and nobody will know they have it. I will never know most likely if I have it but I am sick, and yes I am staying home, I was already bunking down before I started showing symptoms yesterday, I haven't been out since Friday or maybe it was Thursday but I think it was Friday. My wife is going to self isolate as well. Her panic buying last week was a good idea looking back, had she not done that we would have been in trouble, we have no friends in Vancouver so not like we can call someone and ask them to drop things off.

Online ordering isn't an option as to do so need to be able to leave the house and top up the Visa debit card. But she stocked up so we are good for at least 10 days I think.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...h-16-1.5499192

Jingsamichty Mar 16th 2020 6:33 pm

The UK is telling people to avoid social contact - pubs, clubs, cinemas, theatres, restaurants - and for the elderly and vulnerable to self-isolate for 12 weeks.This is going to be like living in a zombie movie.

caretaker Mar 16th 2020 6:36 pm

I'm at work, but outside of my sphere of influence, there isn't a lot shaking. It's a bit lonely.

dbd33 Mar 16th 2020 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12821780)
The UK is telling people to avoid social contact - pubs, clubs, cinemas, theatres, restaurants - and for the elderly and vulnerable to self-isolate for 12 weeks.This is going to be like living in a zombie movie.

And, on top of all that, the dentist just phoned to cancel my appointment. Perhaps he thinks teeth filled in Britain constitute a metal surface for the purpose of virus retention.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 16th 2020 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12821784)
And, on top of all that, the dentist just phoned to cancel my appointment. Perhaps he thinks teeth filled in Britain constitute a metal surface for the purpose of virus retention.

My wife's dentist in BC has cancelled all non-essential dental work, and is available on an on-call basis for emergency dental work only. And lists what they consider an emergency, basically if not infected or in pain they don't want you getting dental work done.

The pharmacy my wife uses is a small independent run by the pharmacist and not a big chain, he is still open but doctor must fax the script and it will be delivered, not permitting customers/patients into the store which is a good compromise I think.

dbd33 Mar 16th 2020 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12821787)
My wife's dentist in BC has cancelled all non-essential dental work, and is available on an on-call basis for emergency dental work only. And lists what they consider an emergency, basically if not infected or in pain they don't want you getting dental work done.

The pharmacy my wife uses is a small independent run by the pharmacist and not a big chain, he is still open but doctor must fax the script and it will be delivered, not permitting customers/patients into the store which is a good compromise I think.

My next procedure is to be an extraction. I have a webcam. I expect we can set it up so he can advise from a remote location while I do it myself (or ask the horse vet to do it, she's still working).

Siouxie Mar 16th 2020 6:58 pm

Canada has closed it's borders to everyone except Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents, those with family here - and the US.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...covid19-canada

Jingsamichty Mar 16th 2020 7:02 pm

You know it’s really serious when the UK instructs you NOT to go to the pub.

BristolUK Mar 16th 2020 7:06 pm

...not booking any international travel. I am mostly staying at home, but have plans to go to Ikea this week.

Well that's almost like going to Sweden. :rofl:

dbd33 Mar 16th 2020 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12821797)
You know it’s really serious when the UK instructs you NOT to go to the pub.

Ireland. Saint Patrick's Day pub ban. I'm led to believe that's in a whole other league.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 16th 2020 7:15 pm

You would think GP's in this situation would be more understanding, my wife needs a refill, my wife is a high risk group due to underlying health issues, I am showing symptoms but GP refuses to fax prescription to pharmacy and says wife needs to come in but next appointment is in 3 weeks.

My wife has tried 2 times to refill in person in the last 2 weeks both times doctor cancelled her appointment, so this isn't because my wife waited until the last minute, she has been trying to refill for 2 weeks when she still had a 3 week supply left, now she has a week supply left.

Jerseygirl Mar 16th 2020 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12821802)
You would think GP's in this situation would be more understanding, my wife needs a refill, my wife is a high risk group due to underlying health issues, I am showing symptoms but GP refuses to fax prescription to pharmacy and says wife needs to come in but next appointment is in 3 weeks.

My wife has tried 2 times to refill in person in the last 2 weeks both times doctor cancelled her appointment, so this isn't because my wife waited until the last minute, she has been trying to refill for 2 weeks when she still had a 3 week supply left, now she has a week supply left.

I’m expecting a call from my pulmonary doctor, I also need a repeat script. I had a CT scan last week and hopefully he will go over the results on the phone. I have an appointment with him on the 2nd, but I don’t want to risk going. If he will not phone a script through I may have to.

last Friday I was told that my family doc will not discuss further blood results over the phone or issue scripts. I’ve just developed a thyroid problem. I’m sure it’s only minor as I’ve not had thyroid issues before. :fingerscrossed:

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 16th 2020 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12821825)
I’m expecting a call from my pulmonary doctor, I also need a repeat script. I had a CT scan last week and hopefully he will go over the results on the phone. I have an appointment with him on the 2nd, but I don’t want to risk going. If he will not phone a script through I may have to.

last Friday I was told that my family doc will not discuss further blood results over the phone or issue scripts. I’ve just developed a thyroid problem. I’m sure it’s only minor as I’ve not had thyroid issues before. :fingerscrossed:

My GP will do nothing on the phone, everything requires a visit to the office. My CT from 2 weeks still no results, had no idea it took so long to get the results. Only other CT scan I ever had was in the US 10-12 years ago and the doctor had the results in like 2 days....

My biggest worry is my stomach, its not severe pain, so not ER worthy, but aches and burns constantly and so dunno what to do anymore as the GP wont investigate further.

BristolUK Mar 16th 2020 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12821802)

I guess it depends on the drug but this may be one where the pharmacist can supply enough to tide someone over. Our pharmacist has done that sort of thing a few times over the years and that was before they were allowed to do (certain) prescriptions themselves.

My GP will do nothing on the phone, everything requires a visit to the office.
Ours is the same, has been for a while, but a couple of months ago he wrote a renewal and I discovered at home that he did it for the wrong one. :ohmy:
I called his receptionist and she got him to do it properly and that was faxed.

BristolUK Mar 16th 2020 8:46 pm

Email from Walmart.ca today.
5 things to do this spring:
Spring shopping
Patio prep
Electronics upgrade
Replace the kids' smartphones with fun toys
Home refresh

I'd have thought surviving would have been there. :nod:

Danny B Mar 16th 2020 8:51 pm

The financial crisis that this will cause is going to be catastrophic. Airlines, retail outlets, car dealers etc will slowly go out of business.

You think it's bad now, you aint see nothing yet.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 16th 2020 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12821845)
I guess it depends on the drug but this may be one where the pharmacist can supply enough to tide someone over. Our pharmacist has done that sort of thing a few times over the years and that was before they were allowed to do (certain) prescriptions themselves.

Ours is the same, has been for a while, but a couple of months ago he wrote a renewal and I discovered at home that he did it for the wrong one. :ohmy:
I called his receptionist and she got him to do it properly and that was faxed.

I make sure to pay close attention now to prescriptions before leaving the exam room. Before I just took it and left but once she prescribed an antibiotic (my file lists all my allergies) and she wrote it for erythromycin which I am allergic to, pharmacy said we will call doctor should fix it since its an error, nope, had to go back and see her again just to get a new prescription totally unnecessary visit, and waste of healthcare funds.