British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Gozit Jul 6th 2020 5:28 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12877473)
SIGH. You've been asked to give up a few weeks or months at most......... BIG DEAL........... are "young people" that self centred that they can't be inconvenienced for one spring and part of a summer ?

There are many YOUNG people becoming ill or carrying the virus and passing it on to others (who may have 'vulnerable relatives' - like me), because they aren't using their common sense - they are so fixated on having 'a good time' they don't want to be sensible and social distance.

:thumbdown:

It's already been a few months, with no end in sight...travel restrictions have been extended to 31 August and probably will be again. This summer is a write off for travel, clubs, anything fun that is typically enjoyed by people my age. our national holiday was basically naught.

It's more then "Just a few months." At best it will be an entire year before restrictions are fully lifted in Canada, i.e. pre-pandemic, no social distancing, no masks, no limits, no public health restrictions.

If we had a crystal ball that said on Sept 1st this would be over and we can go back to normal I wouldn't leave my house from now until then. But we don't, and with the way things keep getting extended and extended I don't have much faith that it will.

Asking someone to give up being a 21 year old, give up their college grad, prom, etc IS actually quite a lot, because my generation will NEVER get those moments back.

Gozit Jul 6th 2020 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12877477)
I'm getting a real sense of entitlement vibe from your post. We need to be all in this together and your talk of travel for what I sense is for the sake of travel doesn't help things.

You sound like one of the commercials I hear all day long on the radio about being all in this together :lol:

Former Lancastrian Jul 6th 2020 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12877482)
I take it you won't mind if I smoke on the plane then.

Oh those were the days. As soon as that seat belt light requirement went off then all those that smoked all lit up at the same time. IIRC all the smoking seats were at the front well at least flights I went on.

Pulaski Jul 6th 2020 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12877486)
You sound like one of the commercials I hear all day long on the radio about being all in this together ....

We are, whether you want to be or not. :rolleyes:

Jerseygirl Jul 6th 2020 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12877484)
It's already been a few months, with no end in sight...travel restrictions have been extended to 31 August and probably will be again. This summer is a write off for travel, clubs, anything fun that is typically enjoyed by people my age. our national holiday was basically naught.

It's more then "Just a few months." At best it will be an entire year before restrictions are fully lifted in Canada, i.e. pre-pandemic, no social distancing, no masks, no limits, no public health restrictions.

If we had a crystal ball that said on Sept 1st this would be over and we can go back to normal I wouldn't leave my house from now until then. But we don't, and with the way things keep getting extended and extended I don't have much faith that it will.

Asking someone to give up being a 21 year old, give up their college grad, prom, etc IS actually quite a lot, because my generation will NEVER get those moments back.

oh for goodness sake. You are coming across as a self entitled, selfish individual. I hope you are not but you are certainly coming across that way.

Pulaski Jul 6th 2020 5:37 pm

If we had a crystal ball that said on Sept 1st this would be over and we can go back to normal I wouldn't leave my house from now until then. But we don't, and with the way things keep getting extended and extended I don't have much faith that it will. .....

The paradox with your position, is that if everyone did stay home except for essential travel, adhered to perfect SD, always wore a mask outside the home, and followed good hygiene/ hand washing, then it would be over by September 1st, the genie would be likely back in the bottle. However the very fact that all the deniers are out and about, getting back to living their, life, not SD'ing, not wearing a mask, and not adhering to good hygiene practices is precisely the reason that this won't be over by September 1st. :rolleyes:

Gozit Jul 6th 2020 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12877490)
oh for goodness sake. You are coming across as a self entitled, selfish individual. I hope you are not but you are certainly coming across that way.

It's a difference of opinion is all. There are plenty of people who think the same way as evidenced by the people going shopping, gathering, etc, doing things that are still 'permitted' within the restrictions but seem to be frowned upon by the general population of this forum.

My own member of parliament agrees that the travel restrictions should be based by country and not a blanket ban.

Former Lancastrian Jul 6th 2020 5:38 pm

Err some of us grew up with no college grad or prom and did you hear us complain? Last day of school usually resulted in taking eggs to school and targeting the teachers cars as they left at the end of the day. When you actually finished school then some would have a burning of the uniform. Perhaps some had a Disco and you would sneak in alcohol, drink, dance and if lucky a quick grope.

Limos never heard of and no prom dresses or tuxedos. God North America has a lot to answer for. Be thankful you weren't working down pit at 12 yrs of age.
Now go and make an appointment with a therapist to get over these traumatic times and how hard life is.

Partially discharged Jul 6th 2020 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12877494)
Err some of us grew up with no college grad or prom and did you hear us complain? Last day of school usually resulted in taking eggs to school and targeting the teachers cars as they left at the end of the day. When you actually finished school then some would have a burning of the uniform. Perhaps some had a Disco and you would sneak in alcohol, drink, dance and if lucky a quick grope.

Limos never heard of and no prom dresses or tuxedos. God North America has a lot to answer for. Be thankful you weren't working down pit at 12 yrs of age.
Now go and make an appointment with a therapist to get over these traumatic times and how hard life is.

I bet your had to 'lick road w'tongue' every morning.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 6th 2020 5:45 pm

I probably ended up having more fun in my early 30's than I did in my early 20's, I was working 16-18 hour days in my early 20's trying to stay above water, didn't have time to go party...ha ha

Partially discharged Jul 6th 2020 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12877490)

My consensus as well. I think some of these 'yoof' need to suck it up. Boo hoo, no prom etc. My kids went to them, enjoyed themselves and after it all wondered what all the fuss was about as they were quickly on to a new stage in life.

Maybe a night out in Soho for Gozit is what he wants.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-53299...soho-celebrate

Partially discharged Jul 6th 2020 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12877486)
You sound like one of the commercials I hear all day long on the radio about being all in this together :lol:

Radio...you listen to the radio :) how old are you? 65? Other than cbc and college/university stations, Canadian radio is a vast wasteland of 'all the hits of today and the best of yesterday' ' Hot 94', "Joe FM', "Smooth 98'.

Gozit Jul 6th 2020 5:51 pm

In the current climate there would be no last day of school egging the teachers cars, or any of the above as they'd be shut down for not social distancing. Same principle.

Gozit Jul 6th 2020 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12877502)
My consensus as well. I think some of these 'yoof' need to suck it up. Boo hoo, no prom etc. My kids went to them, enjoyed themselves and after it all wondered what all the fuss was about as they were quickly on to a new stage in life.

Maybe a night out in Soho for Gozit is what he wants.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-53299...soho-celebrate

Lol, would have loved to be able to be in England and go to the pub, that was the whole point of this conversation I can't go as I don't have enough leave between work and school to go on a vacation AND self-isolate when I return.

If the restrictions continue into 2021 it will be a question I have to ask myself do I want to travel and accept the self isolation or refrain from travel.

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12877503)
Radio...you listen to the radio :) how old are you? 65? Other than cbc and college/university stations, Canadian radio is a vast wasteland of 'all the hits of today and the best of yesterday' ' Hot 94', "Joe FM', "Smooth 98'.

I work in an office where unfortunately had to listen to it all day until I got my own office. Now i have a bluetooth speaker to my iPhone.

Former Lancastrian Jul 6th 2020 6:04 pm

Here is a list of departures from Pearson today

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/departures

There is nothing stopping you from travelling to any of these places. When you arrive at your destination you would be subject to the current procedures and isolation if required. On return exactly the same. So go ahead travel what is stopping you?