British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

BristolUK Aug 4th 2021 3:47 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13036916)
Not just Disney and WalMart! The band, Offspring, have fired their drummer for not being vaccinated.

That'll be hard to beat. :getcoat:


https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...936974bd76.gif

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 4th 2021 4:46 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
I looked into the Disney & Wal-Mart mandatory vaccines.

Wal-Mart it doesn't apply to most of their workforce, store and distribution center employees are not included, as well Wal-Mart policy exempts those with a valid reason not to get the vaccine.

Disney policy only applies to salaried and non-union hourly, a good amount of their on site park employees are unionized and the policy doesn't apply to them at this time, subject to change if the unions agree.


Siouxie Aug 4th 2021 5:19 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13036916)
Not just Disney and WalMart! The band, Offspring, have fired their drummer for not being vaccinated.


Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13037004)

It was probably a cymbolic firing.. if he couldn't be vaccinated many bands won't allow them to participate/play/perform :D (a family member is a singer, wasn't able to go on tour with the band because she can't have the vaccine - allergy issues, apparently it's due to venues and insurance problems)

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...0fe6d96ab8.png
:getcoat:

printer Aug 4th 2021 10:24 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13037020)
I looked into the Disney & Wal-Mart mandatory vaccines.

Wal-Mart it doesn't apply to most of their workforce, store and distribution center employees are not included, as well Wal-Mart policy exempts those with a valid reason not to get the vaccine.

Disney policy only applies to salaried and non-union hourly, a good amount of their on site park employees are unionized and the policy doesn't apply to them at this time, subject to change if the unions agree.

And that seems to be how this whole pandemic has been handled around the world. A variety of changing rules and protocols that apply to some more than others and are more strictly controlled in some areas and blatantly left to run riot in others. It's a bit laughable when they tell you no jab no job and you say "i'm a union employee, i'm exempt"

dbd33 Aug 4th 2021 10:33 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by printer (Post 13037169)
And that seems to be how this whole pandemic has been handled around the world. A variety of changing rules and protocols that apply to some more than others and are more strictly controlled in some areas and blatantly left to run riot in others. It's a bit laughable when they tell you no jab no job and you say "i'm a union employee, i'm exempt"


In the case of WalMart it's more "I'm a union employee, that contract amendment hasn't been negotiated yet".

dbd33 Aug 4th 2021 10:36 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13037031)
It was probably a cymbolic firing.. if he couldn't be vaccinated many bands won't allow them to participate/play/perform :D (a family member is a singer, wasn't able to go on tour with the band because she can't have the vaccine - allergy issues, apparently it's due to venues and insurance problems)

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...0fe6d96ab8.png
:getcoat:

Also, the singer's PhD thesis was on Discovery of mature microRNA sequences within the protein-coding regions of global HIV-1 genomes: predictions of novel mechanisms for viral infection and pathogenicity, so it might be that he has no time for this rubbish about having a reason for not being vaccinated.




bats Aug 4th 2021 11:31 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13036037)
A health condition that precludes vaccination doesn't make somebody physically incapable of leaving the house. I can leave the house, I could go to the shops, I could go to work (if I had a job), I could interact with peope - vaccinated or not! I'm not disabled just because I am unable to be vaccinated at this time.

Good luck to our esteemed members if they try to put in a claim for ODSP, based on their inability to be vaccinated... https://www.cleo.on.ca/en/publica9tions/disabben/step-2-do-i-qualify-because-my-disability

ODSP is notoriously hard to claim but it is possible to claim for temporary disability if a disability lasts a year.
However my post on the definition of disability wasn't related to ODSPs definition of disability. If your health condition prevents you from leaving the house then you have a disability.
pretty sure I recall you commenting that because of COVID you were stuck at home, has that changed?


Siouxie Aug 5th 2021 12:16 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 13037185)
ODSP is notoriously hard to claim but it is possible to claim for temporary disability if a disability lasts a year.
However my post on the definition of disability wasn't related to ODSPs definition of disability. If your health condition prevents you from leaving the house then you have a disability.
pretty sure I recall you commenting that because of COVID you were stuck at home, has that changed?

There is a difference to not being physically able to leave the house and choosing not to.

Siouxie Aug 5th 2021 12:17 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13037176)
Also, the singer's PhD thesis was on Discovery of mature microRNA sequences within the protein-coding regions of global HIV-1 genomes: predictions of novel mechanisms for viral infection and pathogenicity, so it might be that he has no time for this rubbish about having a reason for not being vaccinated.

:banghead:
In your opinion - not in the family member's GP and medical teams. Some of us are unable to be vaccinated at this time on medical advice - not through choice.

This holier than thou attitude is getting tedious.

dbd33 Aug 5th 2021 12:33 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13037189)
:banghead:
In your opinion - not in the family member's GP and medical teams. Some of us are unable to be vaccinated at this time on medical advice - not through choice.

This holier than thou attitude is getting tedious.

The drummer's explanation for not being vaccinated makes no reference to personal medical advice, only to a general disbelief in the medical efficacy of vaccines.

Revin Kevin Aug 5th 2021 1:08 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
You couldn't make it up!, from the 8th of August Canada and India will both be on the UK Amber list.Sorry but WTF?
https://news.sky.com/story/full-list...ravel-12372869

dbd33 Aug 5th 2021 1:43 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 13037197)
You couldn't make it up!, from the 8th of August Canada and India will both be on the UK Amber list.Sorry but WTF?
https://news.sky.com/story/full-list...ravel-12372869

Not sure what you find far-fetched here but Alberta has embarked on a lunatic policy of encouraging the coronavirus. It's hard to identify people who've been to Alberta among people from Canada so one should expect countries to blacklist all Canadians.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 5th 2021 6:56 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Companies in the US with unions have a master list of who is union so would be hard if the company is on the ball to lie about it.


Originally Posted by printer (Post 13037169)
And that seems to be how this whole pandemic has been handled around the world. A variety of changing rules and protocols that apply to some more than others and are more strictly controlled in some areas and blatantly left to run riot in others. It's a bit laughable when they tell you no jab no job and you say "i'm a union employee, i'm exempt"


scrubbedexpat091 Aug 5th 2021 7:21 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 13037185)
ODSP is notoriously hard to claim but it is possible to claim for temporary disability if a disability lasts a year.
However my post on the definition of disability wasn't related to ODSPs definition of disability. If your health condition prevents you from leaving the house then you have a disability.
pretty sure I recall you commenting that because of COVID you were stuck at home, has that changed?


Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13037188)
There is a difference to not being physically able to leave the house and choosing not to.

How does ODSP work?

PWD in BC is a payer of last resort, to even apply for PWD status, you have to be eligible for general assistance first, they literally will not give you the application unless your approved for general assistance first, you can be disabled but not eligible for general assistance and thus not able to apply for PWD.

Basic requirements for them to let you apply for PWD

1- Be in financial need and eligible for general assistance.

2- Have a doctor or nurse practitioner confirm you have a severe physical and/or mental impairment that is expected to continue for more than two years. (this one can be quite hard, if one of the unfortunate to be without a GP)

3- Be significantly restricted in your ability to perform daily-living activities

And most people are denied first time around.

bats Aug 5th 2021 7:09 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13037188)
There is a difference to not being physically able to leave the house and choosing not to.

Indeed but I had understood that your decision to stay home was because of COVID and medical advice to avoid risk.
So obviously not,. You can leave anytime. I'll remember.

Siouxie Aug 6th 2021 2:17 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 13037516)
Indeed but I had understood that your decision to stay home was because of COVID and medical advice to avoid risk.
So obviously not,. You can leave anytime. I'll remember.

There is a difference between being physically disabled and unable to leave the house - which Ontario Disability Benefit pays out for and choosing to avoid risk by staying home - which ODB doesn't pay for.

caretaker Aug 6th 2021 10:11 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
It's time for the Sturgis bike rally in South Dakota again. Last year it helped spread Covid all over the US, so they're going to do it again and hope for better results, I guess.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...3210a365d.jpeg

Jerseygirl Aug 7th 2021 2:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Since moving to Stage 3 Ontario’s Covid figures have been on the rise. Last month the cases were in the mid one hundred, today it is 380. :(

Edit: there are approx 200,000 people in Ontario who have had the first shot, but not the 2nd. The gov. are pleading with those people to get the 2nd shot ASAP.

scilly Aug 7th 2021 5:10 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13038167)
Since moving to Stage 3 Ontario’s Covid figures have been on the rise. Last month the cases were in the mid one hundred, today it is 380. :(

Edit: there are approx 200,000 people in Ontario who have had the first shot, but not the 2nd. The gov. are pleading with those people to get the 2nd shot ASAP.


BC's figures are also rising, over half of the new cases and hospitalisations are in the Interior Health Region, so they've been put under restrictions again as to numbers of people meeting inside and outside, night clubs and bars closed effective yesterday

There were 464 new cases yesterday (Friday), 275 of them in the Okanagan region of Interior Health.

24 people are in Intensive Care, all were unvaccinated. 95% of all new cases are in unvaccinated people or people who have had only 1 dose.

Vaccination rates as of Friday ............ 81.8 per cent of those 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. Just under 69 per cent have received a second dose. So we have a high percentage, but the number of covid cases keeps rising, the public health people are warning that we are on the verge of a 4th wave.

Jerseygirl Aug 7th 2021 5:17 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 13038204)
BC's figures are also rising, over half of the new cases and hospitalisations are in the Interior Health Region, so they've been put under restrictions again as to numbers of people meeting inside and outside, night clubs and bars closed effective yesterday

There were 464 new cases yesterday (Friday), 275 of them in the Okanagan region of Interior Health.

24 people are in Intensive Care, all were unvaccinated. 95% of all new cases are in unvaccinated people or people who have had only 1 dose.

Vaccination rates as of Friday ............ 81.8 per cent of those 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. Just under 69 per cent have received a second dose. So we have a high percentage, but the number of covid cases keeps rising, the public health people are warning that we are on the verge of a 4th wave.

Hopefully it will be like the UK…figures go up because we are trying to get back to normal…then they will fall again. :fingerscrossed:

The percentage of people vaccinated in Ontario is similar to that of BC.

Edit: Just noticed the UK figures have increased again. :eek:

caretaker Aug 7th 2021 8:29 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Our numbers in Sask have been trending up for a month and a half from 20 - 30 to 85 new cases yesterday, and wearing masks in grocery stores looks about 50/50. I feel a bit like odd man out with mine on, but don't care.

Jerseygirl Aug 7th 2021 8:39 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13038238)
Our numbers in Sask have been trending up for a month and a half from 20 - 30 to 85 new cases yesterday, and wearing masks in grocery stores looks about 50/50. I feel a bit like odd man out with mine on, but don't care.

Ontario hasn’t fully come out of lockdown, but fairly close to it. We are still required to wear masks in indoor public areas/shops etc and the number of people in shops/elevators/indoor events is slightly restricted. I hope the current restrictions stay until spring.

Danny B Aug 7th 2021 9:58 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
That 'Lambda variant' doing the rounds in South America looks nasty.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 7th 2021 10:09 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13038263)
That 'Lambda variant' doing the rounds in South America looks nasty.

Potentially could end up in a never ending COVID saga too, Delta at least the vaccines still prevent death and severe outcomes, but as the article states, eventually a variant or 2 may completely figure out how to evade and we are back to the bottom.

"We will continue to develop more and more variants, and eventually, one or more of these variants will learn how to evade vaccine-induced immunity," Poland said. "And if that's true, we will start all over again."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/07/healt...ner/index.html

printer Aug 7th 2021 11:29 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13038265)
Potentially could end up in a never ending COVID saga too, Delta at least the vaccines still prevent death and severe outcomes, but as the article states, eventually a variant or 2 may completely figure out how to evade and we are back to the bottom.

"We will continue to develop more and more variants, and eventually, one or more of these variants will learn how to evade vaccine-induced immunity," Poland said. "And if that's true, we will start all over again."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/07/healt...ner/index.html

But in the meantime i'm sure they have invested heavily in bolstering our health service and expanding facilities and finding more nurses and doctors with better pay so we don't end up in same situation again in 12 months. Oh wait i think i fell into a dream state just then. So it will be back to the same old story, overwhelmed health services and everybodys at fault for the rising cases except the experts and government officials because hey they are still learning about this. :p

caretaker Aug 7th 2021 11:42 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by printer (Post 13038272)
Oh wait i think i fell into a dream state just then. So it will be back to the same old story, overwhelmed health services and everybodys at fault for the rising cases except the experts and government officials because hey they are still learning about this. :p

Easy there, Tiguan. :lol: The people who do it for a living are exponentially better at it than they were first time around. The research, the medicine, the frontline services have procedures ingrained that didn't exist 18 months ago. Even you; you're a pro now.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 8th 2021 12:09 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by printer (Post 13038272)
But in the meantime i'm sure they have invested heavily in bolstering our health service and expanding facilities and finding more nurses and doctors with better pay so we don't end up in same situation again in 12 months. Oh wait i think i fell into a dream state just then. So it will be back to the same old story, overwhelmed health services and everybodys at fault for the rising cases except the experts and government officials because hey they are still learning about this. :p

Nah just do what Alberta is doing, pretend COVID doesn't exist. Seems in part the decision by the top health person there to cut back so significantly is due to lack of funding and resources, I imagine the top doc there knows it's a mistake, but without the funding, health people can't do their jobs.


Danny B Aug 8th 2021 3:30 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by printer (Post 13038272)
But in the meantime i'm sure they have invested heavily in bolstering our health service and expanding facilities and finding more nurses and doctors with better pay so we don't end up in same situation again in 12 months. Oh wait i think i fell into a dream state just then. So it will be back to the same old story, overwhelmed health services and everybodys at fault for the rising cases except the experts and government officials because hey they are still learning about this. :p

‘If this tweet is true regarding Iceland, we might be stuck with new infections (albeit mild with no deaths) for a bit longer.


caretaker Aug 8th 2021 3:46 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Our new case numbers continue to rise.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...41411b7c26.jpg





https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...aeec0e6f32.jpg


scilly Aug 8th 2021 4:41 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
.................. and case numbers still rising in BC, with the Okanagan having more than half of the cases, new and hospitalised.

We're not out of the woods yet, by any means.

I still think that it is going to be like the flu ................ annual shots required for the new variants developed since the last time. Only this time, it will be everyone who has to have the covid shot, not like the flu vaccine where usually just over 60s/65s, and certain occupations getting it for free.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 8th 2021 8:08 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13038414)
‘If this tweet is true regarding Iceland, we might be stuck with new infections (albeit mild with no deaths) for a bit longer.

https://twitter.com/eliaseythorsson/...195023878?s=21

I doubt we will ever see a day where COVID is at 0 anywhere in the world.

But as long as the vaccines keep people out of hospital and dying, that is all that matters at the end of the day.

In the US current 99.5% of deaths are unvaccinated, so vaccines are still doing a wonderful job at preventing death.

It sucks the vaccines are turning out not to prevent transmission as well as was hoped but as long as they remain effective against death and severe cases, its still a win in my book.









printer Aug 9th 2021 12:12 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 13038431)
.................. and case numbers still rising in BC, with the Okanagan having more than half of the cases, new and hospitalised.

We're not out of the woods yet, by any means.

I still think that it is going to be like the flu ................ annual shots required for the new variants developed since the last time. Only this time, it will be everyone who has to have the covid shot, not like the flu vaccine where usually just over 60s/65s, and certain occupations getting it for free.

And this could be where we end up with issues. I wonder how many of the vaccinated will start to ease off and not bother with boosters as we go on. I'm sure there are those that started to get the flu shot and then gave up on it. Lets hope this isn't the case as we don't want this constant see saw effect of restrictions that we have been seeing.

scilly Aug 9th 2021 2:38 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by printer (Post 13038507)
And this could be where we end up with issues. I wonder how many of the vaccinated will start to ease off and not bother with boosters as we go on. I'm sure there are those that started to get the flu shot and then gave up on it. Lets hope this isn't the case as we don't want this constant see saw effect of restrictions that we have been seeing.

It depends ........... all the people I know who are over 65 and began to get the flu shot at that age have continued to get it every year, either from the pharmacist or their doctor. And they talk about it!

It is of course advertised very obviously in all pharmacies, and in their flyers.

We've been having it for many years, all but 1 year from our doctor .............. that year, the vaccines were late coming in and we were going away so made a quick visit to the local pharmacy.

Our doctor's office has just a concerted effort to get all patient emails or contact numbers, and I will be interested to see if they also use that to contact patients who are eligible every year.

printer Aug 9th 2021 3:52 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 13038531)
It depends ........... all the people I know who are over 65 and began to get the flu shot at that age have continued to get it every year, either from the pharmacist or their doctor. And they talk about it!

It is of course advertised very obviously in all pharmacies, and in their flyers.

We've been having it for many years, all but 1 year from our doctor .............. that year, the vaccines were late coming in and we were going away so made a quick visit to the local pharmacy.

Our doctor's office has just a concerted effort to get all patient emails or contact numbers, and I will be interested to see if they also use that to contact patients who are eligible every year.

My doctors is not that efficient so will be interesting to see if that changes but i doubt it. My wife heard nothing back after a test and when she called they said "oh yes the doctor needs to speak with you" I was supposed to get a call after a CT scan for results, that call never came but i know it was all good because it came up on my online portal a week later. Their admin leaves a lot to be desired and i would change doctors if it were that easy but it took a long time to get one.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 9th 2021 4:02 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by printer (Post 13038535)
My doctors is not that efficient so will be interesting to see if that changes but i doubt it. My wife heard nothing back after a test and when she called they said "oh yes the doctor needs to speak with you" I was supposed to get a call after a CT scan for results, that call never came but i know it was all good because it came up on my online portal a week later. Their admin leaves a lot to be desired and i would change doctors if it were that easy but it took a long time to get one.

Sounds like my doctors office, I don't seem them reminding anyone of anything, but in general my doctors office doesn't give vaccines, if you ask for most vaccines they direct you to the pharmacy next door.

So I don't seem them really ever doing COVID vaccines myself or even reminding people since they can't even remind people of appointments or make calls to tell you an appointment was cancelled due to no doctor being available.


abner Aug 9th 2021 5:28 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by printer (Post 13038507)
And this could be where we end up with issues. I wonder how many of the vaccinated will start to ease off and not bother with boosters as we go on. I'm sure there are those that started to get the flu shot and then gave up on it. Lets hope this isn't the case as we don't want this constant see saw effect of restrictions that we have been seeing.

I don't see that as much of a danger. "The vaccinated" have already crossed the mental threshold of wanting to be vaccinated, whatever the chain of reasoning that led them there. 'Keeping' vaccinated, with boosters, pushes through an already opened door.

But if this Covid-19 thing goes on for many years, one might get careless. I missed the annual flu jab at work a few years ago, for logistical reasons rather than any objection to it. And boy, did I end up regretting that -- caught 5 days of the worst flu bout I'd had in a couple of decades. Never again. :-(

scilly Aug 9th 2021 4:46 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Wait for increase in numbers

Major line-ups at the border crossings this morning as Americans are desperate to get into Canada.

Numbers of cases rising in both the US and Canada, with even fully vaccinated people getting covid, albeit mildly.

printer Aug 9th 2021 7:08 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 13038753)
Wait for increase in numbers

Major line-ups at the border crossings this morning as Americans are desperate to get into Canada.

Numbers of cases rising in both the US and Canada, with even fully vaccinated people getting covid, albeit mildly.

I've been watching the UK numbers but they seem to think its now on track. It will be interesting to see if Scotlands decision to keep masks after relaxing most other things will have an effect on their numbers going forward. Even though UK numbers and hospital admissions are up the media comments and i quote:This comes as Covid hospital admissions in England have plunged by 82 per cent from the winter peak - raising hopes Brits may soon be able to put the pandemic behind them.

Despite doomsday predictions of soaring cases and hospitalisations over the summer, infections appear to have stabilised at around 30,000 a day.
And with 86million jabs doled out, the UK may well be turning the tide on the virus.

On January 22, 4,096 people were in critical care beds suffering with Covid, while 1,041 deaths were recorded.

As of the end of July, 817 people were in ICU battling the virus. There were 131 fatalities reported on the same day.

scilly Aug 11th 2021 3:08 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13039304)
Looks like Moderna will be opening a facility in Canada in the next couple of years, not known how much the Canadian offered money wise or location yet.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mod...agne-1.6135759

I don't know that I would expect the facility to open "in the next 2 years".

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 11th 2021 6:48 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
After seeing the cost of PCR travel tests at Seattle airport, I don't think we will be traveling out of Canada anytime soon.

Sure they have a cheaper option at $75 but it can take up to 96 hours to get the results which doesn't seem compatible with the rule of 72 hours that Canada has, sure it could be sooner than 96 hours but would be risky, if you want to make sure you get the results back quick enough to travel, that PCR test is $250 each.

I hope this testing requirement doesn't last years because I would actually like to go see my family at some point, but the testing requirements are just out of this world expensive.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:07 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.