British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

HGerchikov Mar 12th 2020 10:31 pm

Re: Coronavirus

I am supposed to be going to the UK in a couple of weeks. My elderly parents are moving from the family home to an apartment in a retirement complex. I am obviously concerned about contracting the disease on the flight over and taking it to them. I really don't want to be patient zero at a retirement home. I am weighing this risk against the absolute certainty that my Mum will have a total meltdown before the move if she doesnt have help. So she really needs me to be there.
I am also somewhat fretting about the possibility of getting stuck there if things deteriorate after my arrival. No idea what to do for the best so for now just watching and waiting to see what tomorrow brings.

scot47 Mar 12th 2020 10:40 pm

The Scottish Government just banned public gatherings of more than 500 people. Common sense or the beginning of decline into Martial Law ?

Jerseygirl Mar 12th 2020 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12819753)
The Scottish Government just banned public gatherings of more than 500 people. Common sense or the beginning of decline into Martial Law ?

common sense...end of!!!

there really is no need for comments like that. :frown:

Danny B Mar 12th 2020 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 12819751)
I am supposed to be going to the UK in a couple of weeks. My elderly parents are moving from the family home to an apartment in a retirement complex. I am obviously concerned about contracting the disease on the flight over and taking it to them. I really don't want to be patient zero at a retirement home. I am weighing this risk against the absolute certainty that my Mum will have a total meltdown before the move if she doesnt have help. So she really needs me to be there.
I am also somewhat fretting about the possibility of getting stuck there if things deteriorate after my arrival. No idea what to do for the best so for now just watching and waiting to see what tomorrow brings.

If I were in your situation, I would not go anywhere near a busy airport or take an international flight if I was visiting elderly parents on the other end. It's just too much risk.

Find someone you can trust in the UK and give them the money you would have spent on the travel costs to help them move instead.

Crazy times eh?

Danny B Mar 12th 2020 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12819753)

If I was in charge, I'd limit it to 100.
500 is still way too large.

HGerchikov Mar 12th 2020 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12819755)
If I were in your situation, I would not go anywhere near a busy airport or take an international flight if I was visiting elderly parents on the other end. It's just too much risk.

Find someone you can trust in the UK and give them the money you would have spent on the travel costs to help them move instead.

Crazy times eh?

They do have a senior removals company assisting them but it's more the emotional support they need and that only really comes from family. Hoping for a miracle over the next couple of weeks.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 12th 2020 11:04 pm

I am due to take a flight end of the month assuming training isn't cancelled, really no other option to get from BC to Ontario, not like spending days on a train would be much if any better.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 12th 2020 11:20 pm

BC is recommending people stop all non-essential travelling including to the US.

"“I think this is really important, it is clear at this time that the evolving situation both in the United States and globally is a risk for all of us and we are strongly advising people not to travel,” said Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry, Thursday."

Anyone who travels outside of Canada, BC Gov't wants them to self isolate for 14 days before returning to work or school.

Any gathering of more than 250 people will need to be cancelled.

7 more confirmed cases.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6668957/b...date-march-12/

HGerchikov Mar 12th 2020 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12819762)
I am due to take a flight end of the month assuming training isn't cancelled, really no other option to get from BC to Ontario, not like spending days on a train would be much if any better.

A train would be much worse I suspect, similar to a cruise ship environment.

Danny B Mar 13th 2020 1:15 am

Every country except China

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 13th 2020 1:27 am

Westjet has suspended all hiring, and frozen discretionary spending and offered voluntarily leaves to employees in an effort to cut costs, they are also looking the best way to cut 12%+ of their capacity.

I imagine Air Canada wont be far behind.

Piff Poff Mar 13th 2020 1:32 am

Alberta has banned all gatherings of more than 250 and under 250 with some restrictions. International travel not recommended and when you return you have to self isolate for 14 days wether you have symptoms or not. Our weekend plans have just been altered.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 13th 2020 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 12819802)
Alberta has banned all gatherings of more than 250 and under 250 with some restrictions. International travel not recommended and when you return you have to self isolate for 14 days wether you have symptoms or not. Our weekend plans have just been altered.

It's getting concerning. I am assuming my training will be cancelled at this point but will hope for the best.

I do wonder how BC will handle the ferries, a lot of people on each one, and if they don't want gatherings of large people, one would think they will eventually halt the ferry system, guess its one risk of living on an island.

Jerseygirl Mar 13th 2020 1:59 am

Trudeau’s wife has tested positive for the COVID19

Piff Poff Mar 13th 2020 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12819804)
It's getting concerning. I am assuming my training will be cancelled at this point but will hope for the best.

I do wonder how BC will handle the ferries, a lot of people on each one, and if they don't want gatherings of large people, one would think they will eventually halt the ferry system, guess its one risk of living on an island.

That's the level I am at, concerned. I hope your training is just postponed opposed to cancelled.

dave_j Mar 13th 2020 6:56 am

I've seen the newsreels of lines of people queueing up to be fed at soup kitchens during the depression of the late 20's, it lasted for about four years, it's likely to return
China has a political system that, following a slow start, is apparently making progress in dampening down the infection.
The US is a classic example of a system that's incapable of fighting this emergency in any manner whatsoever.
They have governmental politics that govern by agreed paralysis and any response will be unachievable.
Their health care system is fragmented and is driven by need of those able to pay. There is a general reluctance to mobilise resources in a systemic approach that benefits the common good.
It's this inability, and general acceptance of a health system that's driven by profit that ensures delays until someone decides who pays, that's been exposed by the appalling numbers being tested.
The inevitable result will be a country that'll maximise those who contract the virus.
This will ensure that the service sector in the first instance, and the manufacturing sector later on, will see massive lack of demand and huge numbers laid off and made redundant.
In a country so averse to social payments to those in need, this will inevitably invoke the services of charities who will find themselves overwhelmed.
Times have changed and those that have will be less inclined to help as those did a century ago.
I'm commenting here on how I expect the US to suffer in the coming months, but remember, the US is only a border away and emergencies have a tendency to cross borders.
Expect to see a soup kitchen coming your way any time soon.

Jingsamichty Mar 13th 2020 9:20 am

Angela Merkel has said that she expects 60-70% of Germans to contract COVID-19. Given the relaxed state of things here, they obviously expect the mortality rate to be extremely low. Life goes on.

Jerseygirl Mar 13th 2020 1:54 pm

CN Tower closed until at least mid April

caretaker Mar 13th 2020 2:35 pm

Parliament adjourned until April 20.
We've had some cancellations at work too; some fairly big shows.

Jingsamichty Mar 13th 2020 2:38 pm

Wales v Scotland 6 Nations rugby postponed, English football leagues suspended until 03 April, UEFA Champion's League and Europe League suspended, US Masters golf postponed...

dbd33 Mar 13th 2020 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12820014)
US Masters golf postponed...

Oh dear.

Partially discharged Mar 13th 2020 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12820017)
Oh dear.

Nascar is scheduled to continue but without fans. No golf is fine with me.

Paul_Shepherd Mar 13th 2020 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12820014)
Wales v Scotland 6 Nations rugby postponed, English football leagues suspended until 03 April, UEFA Champion's League and Europe League suspended, US Masters golf postponed...

Damn....I thought the Wales Scotland match was still on? I cant keep up.

Australian F1 GP cancelled.

Danny B Mar 13th 2020 3:44 pm

Australian MP Peter Dutton has just been diagnosed with COVID-19. He met Ivanka Trump and AG Barr 6 days ago.
I reckon Trump will have it soon.

https://i.redd.it/lm7apbgqeem41.jpg

CanadaJimmy Mar 13th 2020 4:07 pm

BA says jobs will go as airline industry faces crisis 'worse than 9/11'
https://www.theguardian.com/business...11-coronavirus

Almost Canadian Mar 13th 2020 4:17 pm

This about sums it up:

jimf Mar 13th 2020 4:28 pm

Only watched the start of this, looks interesting and will be making time to watch in full...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...y-going-viral/

CanadaJimmy Mar 13th 2020 4:28 pm

Trudeau is about to give an official statement:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...d-19-1.5496367

dbd33 Mar 13th 2020 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12820018)
Nascar is scheduled to continue but without fans. No golf is fine with me.

To be clear, IMV If everyone who participates in golf dropped dead from the coronavirus tomorrow the world would be a better, and more beautiful place, and would have a population with improved hand/eye coordination.

I've just been to Costco. I panic bought chocolate. If you're going to devote two hours to queuing you may as well achieve something. Rather a jolly crowd, spirit of the blitz and all that. Except, of course, the BMW driver taking up two spots. I expect he was a golfer.

Paul_Shepherd Mar 13th 2020 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12820058)

Don't usually like that guy....but that was pretty spot on! I still haven't found anyone to tell me why they are buying bog roll! No one knows! lol.

Paul_Shepherd Mar 13th 2020 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12820079)
To be clear, IMV If everyone who participates in golf dropped dead from the coronavirus tomorrow the world would be a better, and more beautiful place, and would have a population with improved hand/eye coordination.

I've just been to Costco. I panic bought chocolate. If you're going to devote two hours to queuing you may as well achieve something. Rather a jolly crowd, spirit of the blitz and all that. Except, of course, the BMW driver taking up two spots. I expect he was a golfer.

No, he was just a BMW driver.

dbd33 Mar 13th 2020 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12820080)
Don't usually like that guy....but that was pretty spot on! I still haven't found anyone to tell me why they are buying bog roll! No one knows! lol.

Costco has no bog roll. They have someone standing at the bog roll rack repeating "tomorrow" and "no, I don't know what time tomorrow".

Paul_Shepherd Mar 13th 2020 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12820082)
Costco has no bog roll. They have someone standing at the bog roll rack repeating "tomorrow" and "no, I don't know what time tomorrow".

Really?? I just can' t fathom it out! no one knows why.

My cousin in the UK just sent me a screen shot from Amazon of a pack of 4 rolls of Andrex.... nearly 20 quid!! No joke! :confused:

Jerseygirl Mar 13th 2020 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12820082)

I can’t believe how bad things are at the stores today. A few days ago Costco and the nearby supermarkets had stocks of everything apart from hand sanitizer and wipes. Stacked high with toilet paper, kitchen towels, water etc. Today, my daughter who has just got back from the UK, when to the supermarket and there was very little left. Suppose that was because of the shock of kids being off school and people having to work from home, which was announced yesterday.

Hopefully when people have stocked up, things will die down a little. :fingerscrossed:

spouse of scouse Mar 13th 2020 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12820086)
I can’t believe how bad things are at the stores today. A few days ago Costco and the nearby supermarkets had stocks of everything apart from hand sanitizer and wipes. Stacked high with toilet paper, kitchen towels, water etc. Today, my daughter who has just got back from the UK, when to the supermarket and there was very little left. Suppose that was because of the shock of kids being off school and people having to work from home, which was announced yesterday.

Hopefully when people have stocked up, things will die down a little. :fingerscrossed:

I hope so too, but here there hasn't been a loo roll in this City for 4 weeks and it's just getting worse. Supermarkets have also introduced limits on the amount of certain items, only two each per customer for pasta, flour, rice, paper towels and tissues.

dbd33 Mar 13th 2020 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12820092)
I hope so too, but here there hasn't been a loo roll in this City for 4 weeks and it's just getting worse. Supermarkets have also introduced limits on the amount of certain items, only two each per customer for pasta, flour, rice, paper towels and tissues.

No pasta at Costco. I can't say I'm heartbroken over that.

spouse of scouse Mar 13th 2020 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12820094)
No pasta at Costco. I can't say I'm heartbroken over that.

You don't like pasta? Mama Mia!

Jerseygirl Mar 13th 2020 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12820097)

neither do I but hubby loves it

dbd33 Mar 13th 2020 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12820097)

And that daughter married to an Italian. I should hang my head.

spouse of scouse Mar 13th 2020 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12820101)
And that daughter married to an Italian. I should hang my head.

...and say 3 Hail Marys.