Coronavirus

Old Oct 12th 2021, 11:24 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by caretaker
I went in the Superstore liquor store this morning (don't judge me!) and the clerk politely asked for proof of vaccination and ID. We use an app from gurgle playstore and verify our status then enter the qr code from our account at the saskhealth website... remember to breathe... and it gives you green for go or red for no. I just touch the app on my phone and show him this cert and my driver's license.
Any links to the app available?
Old Oct 12th 2021, 11:47 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Any links to the app available?
This one; I'm not sure about the one marked Verifier, but it is probably part of the same scheme.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US
Old Oct 13th 2021, 12:06 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I went in the Superstore liquor store this morning (don't judge me!) and the clerk politely asked for proof of vaccination and ID.
They've been telling us here that we can show anything that proves it - even the original form with the stamps/stickers on or a photo of it. Or the official form available on our 'NB health accounts" along with ID like a medicare card. Bit odd as there's no ID photo on a medicare card.

But it's only needed for non-essential services. Way back last year in the original lockdown, the liquor stores were open along with essential grocery and pharmacy stores, so being essential last year, I thought they would be again this year. If they're not I may need to go myself instead of sending my needle phobic, unvaxxed stepson

Old Oct 13th 2021, 12:21 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
If they're not I may need to go myself instead of sending my needle phobic, unvaxxed stepson
Where there's a will, there's a way. The card we got when getting the shot works too.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

They've been telling us here that we can show anything that proves it - even the original form with the stamps/stickers on or a photo of it. Or the official form available on our 'NB health accounts" along with ID like a medicare card. Bit odd as there's no ID photo on a medicare card.

But it's only needed for non-essential services. Way back last year in the original lockdown, the liquor stores were open along with essential grocery and pharmacy stores, so being essential last year, I thought they would be again this year. If they're not I may need to go myself instead of sending my needle phobic, unvaxxed stepson
The problem are the ever changing rules and regulations on this and often the logic is very very hard to understand. And even if you ask questions, one still doesn't get an answer.
I am still struggling with the idea that people can apparently visit a sports event ( like hockey arenas ) and sit next to each other, whilst they still require testing even for the vaccinated ones when coming into Canada.
The risk of getting the virus during a sports event is way higher than airline travel.
Also, why is there so much discussion on whether Canadians can now use the land border and drive to the US, whilst flying to the US is apparently allowed? Let alone, why US Americans could come to Canada by car, I don't even want to ask, but that lack of reciprocity was also never explained.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Oct 14th 2021 at 10:54 am.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I became aware of this yesterday:

I appreciate that it was made earlier this year but, if the science it is based upon is correct, it's hard to understand why its findings are not being pushed by media. It appears to suggest that, so long as one doesn't suffer any long terms consequences of the infection, one is better placed after being infected than after being vaccinated.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I became aware of this yesterday: Natural versus vaccine immunity - YouTube

I appreciate that it was made earlier this year but, if the science it is based upon is correct, it's hard to understand why its findings are not being pushed by media. It appears to suggest that, so long as one doesn't suffer any long terms consequences of the infection, one is better placed after being infected than after being vaccinated.
The problem is only that one needs to be vaccinated to travel somewhere.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
The problem is only that one needs to be vaccinated to travel somewhere.
I accept that. Whether that will remain as the data continues to be collected is another story.

We are constantly being told that the measures are based on science, even when the science contradicts the alleged reasons for the measures.

This made me smile:

"People watch the Handmaid's Tale and think, that could never happen. People would not accept it." There are accepting lots at the minute that would have appeared to have been ludicrous a short time ago and no-one appears to be questioning the measures. One wonders what measures will be required when the current ones are shown not to work either.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Oct 14th 2021 at 4:17 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 4:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I became aware of this yesterday: Natural versus vaccine immunity - YouTube

I watched enough to get the gist. An interesting question.

I found something useful on the NY Times probably paywalled but I was able to access parts.
While many people who have recovered from Covid-19 may emerge relatively unscathed from a second encounter with the virus, the strength and durability of their immunity depends on their age, health status and severity of initial infection...Those with powerful natural immunity may be protected from reinfection for up to a year. But even they should not skip the vaccine, experts said. For starters, boosting their immunity with a vaccine is likely to give them long-lasting protection against all the variants.

“If you’ve gotten the infection and then you’ve been vaccinated, you’ve got superpowers,” said Jennifer Gommerman, an immunologist at the University of Toronto.

Without that boost, antibodies from an infection will wane, leaving Covid-recovered people vulnerable to reinfection and mild illness with variants — and perhaps liable to spread the virus to others.
And then
Studies touting the durability and strength of natural immunity are hobbled by one crucial flaw. They are, by definition, assessing the responses only of people who survived Covid-19. The road to natural immunity is perilous and uncertain, Dr. Nussenzweig said.
with other stuff about antibodies dropping to undetectable levels in a third of people who recovered.

I came across this one which appears to back natural immunity over vaccine immunity but there's an extra bit.
Conclusions
This study demonstrated that natural immunity confers longer lasting and stronger protection against infection, symptomatic disease and hospitalization caused by the Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2, compared to the BNT162b2 two-dose vaccine-induced immunity. Individuals who were both previously infected with SARS-CoV-2 and given a single dose of the vaccine gained additional protection against the Delta variant.
So even if natural immunity was better than vaccine immunity, both are considered than either one.

Perhaps ideally, we should all be vaccinated, then get covid and have the best of both worlds.

Seriously, though, I'm finding more and different sources that say vaccine is better.

I did find that Natural News (a far-right, anti-vaccination conspiracy theory and fake news website known for promoting alternative medicine, pseudoscience, and far-right extremism) is promoting natural immunity over vaccine immunity among its other claims of the vaccines killing almost a quarter as many of the death by covid figure and how Vitamin D could end Covid.

That's really all I need to know.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I watched enough to get the gist. An interesting question.

I found something useful on the NY Times probably paywalled but I was able to access parts.

And then
with other stuff about antibodies dropping to undetectable levels in a third of people who recovered.

I came across this one which appears to back natural immunity over vaccine immunity but there's an extra bit.
Conclusions

So even if natural immunity was better than vaccine immunity, both are considered than either one.

Perhaps ideally, we should all be vaccinated, then get covid and have the best of both worlds.

Seriously, though, I'm finding more and different sources that say vaccine is better.

I did find that Natural News (a far-right, anti-vaccination conspiracy theory and fake news website known for promoting alternative medicine, pseudoscience, and far-right extremism) is promoting natural immunity over vaccine immunity among its other claims of the vaccines killing almost a quarter as many of the death by covid figure and how Vitamin D could end Covid.

That's really all I need to know.
I don't really disagree with anything you have stated and, of course, natural immunity is no good if getting it kills you, as I stated above.

What I would like to see discussed more in the general media, is that there is an alternative to vaccines for some, rather than the current vitriol of "if you are not vaccinated you are a selfish pig" or words to that effect, that are constantly bandied about. If I was elderly and with an underlying condition, I would want the vaccine. If I was 18, I doubt that I would want it. As you are aware, I have had 2 shots. I will not be getting a third shot.

As we know, vaccines have not resolve the issue so the question them becomes: What next?
Old Oct 14th 2021, 6:51 pm
Oscar nominated

What I would like to see discussed more in the general media, is that there is an alternative to vaccines for some, rather than the current vitriol of "if you are not vaccinated you are a selfish pig" or words to that effect, that are constantly bandied about.
I think that last part might be more (anti) social media rather than general
I googled "natural immunity vs vaccine" and search results on the first page included NYTimes, NBC, GlobalNews, Washington Post, Fox, Times of India, National Post, Aljazeera, Newsweek, CBC, NPR and a variety of US state and city newspapers, TV, radio stations. And the Calgary Herald.

These are the news based site results as opposed to the others such as medical ones like mayo & bmj, facebook, Reddit, youtube contributions etc

Perhaps the general media feels it's been discussed sufficiently for a conclusion.
As we know, vaccines have not resolve the issue so the question them becomes: What next?
It may be more accurate to say that the current level of take-up of vaccines have not resolved the issue. Or a combination of current levels together with mask requirements being lifted.

The guy in that video is, no doubt, well meaning but when you read the comments made by people viewing it you can see they are riddled with people who are anything from outright anti-vaxxers, to people with extreme ideas about 'big pharma', through those who like to think they've "done their research" and what Nicki Minaj passed on or uncle Billy who knows about these things and so on....and maybe it's preventing 80% from becoming 90%.

Perhaps the vaccine passport requirements may help. NB is one of those regions reporting an increase in those taking their first jab.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 10:01 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I managed to get the Delta variant the same week I got my 1st shot. The medical person said I was going to have super immunity once I was fully vaxed. 2nd shot happens tomorrow. I went for Pfizer after reading up. Moderna is supposed to be harsher on your body but provide better immunity.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I managed to get the Delta variant the same week I got my 1st shot. The medical person said I was going to have super immunity once I was fully vaxed. 2nd shot happens tomorrow. I went for Pfizer after reading up. Moderna is supposed to be harsher on your body but provide better immunity.
My 2nd shot was Moderna (first dose was Astra Zeneca) and it was 12 hours of the worst experience in a very long time, I don't recall any illness in my adult life ever causing me to feel that horrendous, but flip side my wife got Moderna on the same day, and she only had a sore arm, I had mild reaction to AZ and she had 12 hours of fever and body aches and felt miserable.

Just never know how you will react to a vaccine, and I have no idea how good or long lasting the immunity is with the AZ/mRNA combo long term.

Old Oct 14th 2021, 10:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Both my daughter’s shots were Moderna. She was OK with the first, she was a little out of sorts with cold like symptoms after the second. A small price to pay methinks.
Old Oct 16th 2021, 6:05 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

2nd shot is definitely doing a number on me. Was planning a last ride out on my motorcycle. Hopefully tomorrow will still be fine and I'll go then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.