Coronavirus

Old Oct 8th 2021, 3:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Northern Health can't handle the their COVID patients, so far 35 have been transffered to Vancouver area as well as Vancouver Island.

Old Oct 8th 2021, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Us sickos who are immunocompromised can get a 3rd shot so I'm booked in for mine tomorrow. Hopefully I don't feel like crap for 24hrs after.
One wonders if those with 3 shots will then look down their noses at those with only 2!
Old Oct 8th 2021, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I work for a crown corporation and they announced mandatory vaccination for all of its staff yesterday. We have until Nov 22 to show HR our vaccination proof. Fine by me.
One wonders if the fully vaccinated will have to have 3-daily tests to prove that they don't have it? Seeing as they can still be infected and can still pass it on.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Oct 8th 2021 at 3:20 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 2:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
One wonders if those with 3 shots will then look down their noses at those with only 2!
One wonders if the fully vaccinated will have to have 3 daily tests to prove that they don't have it? Seeing as they can still be infected and can still pass it on.
Boiler alert! Boiler alert!

Almost Canadian's account appears to have been hacked by Boiler.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Boiler alert! Boiler alert!

Almost Canadian's account appears to have been hacked by Boiler.
It's me. As you know, I have both shots.

I simply don't like the way that jurisdictions are applying the rules arbitrarily. If they wish for everyone to be vaccinated, they should simply mandate that in a completely unambiguous way and then explain how that is going to deal with those that cannot be vaccinated. We all know that having both shots does not stop you getting C-19, or spreading it once you have it. I accept that it may make these less likely but the main benefit of the vaccine is to reduce the effects that C-19 will have on those that get it. That being the case, I fail to see why those that are vaccinated can go about their daily lives as if they have no chance of acquiring it, or passing it on, which they clearly can.

I also get that the passport nonsense is a shitty way of trying to convince those that don't have it to get it. It would be far easier to require everyone to have to have it and pay the supposed minimal political price of doing so.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 5:26 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you say that as I accidently mentioned to my colleagues at our morning meeting that I was heading out at lunch to get a 3rd shot. That's when their questions started about why I was getting one and they weren't! Having a 3rd shot is not a medal of honor, it's the complete opposite in my opinion.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 5:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's me.....
And that was much more reasonable than the Boiler type of post.

A few things seem a bit inconsistent but sometimes make sense.
Because of the outbreak we're having - still looks paltry compared to others, but massively so for NB - there is to be no household mixing over the Thanksgiving weekend but those from different households may go to the same restaurant and dine instead, surrounded by other people.

It sounds truly bizarre.

But the restaurant is a 'controlled environment' - proof of vaccinations required, mask wearing (except eating) and so on - so maximum or greater level of protection than would be the case at home where it might be a free for all.

Old Oct 8th 2021, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Funny you say that as I accidently mentioned to my colleagues at our morning meeting that I was heading out at lunch to get a 3rd shot. That's when their questions started about why I was getting one and they weren't! Having a 3rd shot is not a medal of honor, it's the complete opposite in my opinion.
It will be coming for all, just wait and see.

Nothing that was supposed to work has worked yet (with the exception of lockdowns which we know can't last forever) and, IIRC, 70% fully vaccinated was supposed to provide enough immunity. It didn't. Booster shots are, currently, recommended for some and I anticipate that that will be expanded too and then those with only 2 shots will have to obtain 3 to obtain their passports. When that doesn't work something else will be required. And so on, and so on...

At some point, those with 12 shots will be looking down on those with only 11. Hopefully, a sense of proportion will be applied and societies will cease trying to get the numbers to zero, as that is never going to happen. Currently, I am waiting for the next variant which is almost inevitable in light of the low numbers of vaccines in certain parts the world, including one jurisdiction that was held up as the epitome of how to deal with this, New Zealand.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And that was much more reasonable than the Boiler type of post.

A few things seem a bit inconsistent but sometimes make sense.
Because of the outbreak we're having - still looks paltry compared to others, but massively so for NB - there is to be no household mixing over the Thanksgiving weekend but those from different households may go to the same restaurant and dine instead, surrounded by other people.

It sounds truly bizarre.

But the restaurant is a 'controlled environment' - proof of vaccinations required, mask wearing (except eating) and so on - so maximum or greater level of protection than would be the case at home where it might be a free for all.

I agree.

Over here, the vaccinated can attend work with no restrictions upon testing, whereas the unvaccinated have to provide tests every 3 days and at their own expense. This is despite the fact that the vaccinated can acquire it and pass it on. Vaccines protect those that have them, they don't really protect anyone else, unless you wish to argue that, by not being vaccinated, you expose the vaccinated to risks caused by the hospitals being overwhelmed which, as far as I can tell, hasn't happened anywhere in Canada.

With the vast majority of Canadian society feeling the way it does, I don't understand why its leaders don't simply mandate vaccination, as I imagine that the political fallout would be minimal. However, if after having done so, that doesn't solve the problem, they would then have a big problem and that is why I believe they haven't done so.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We will very likely all need boosters, that much is fairly clear as the studies are showing waning efficacy with time,

Yes those vaccinated can still get sick, and spread but the key difference is the vaccinated end up in hospital far less often, and don't overwhelm the hospitals like the unvaccinated do, we will never rid outselves of the virus, its here to stay, but the vaccine does do a wonderful job at preventing hospitalization which is the key driver of decisions now in BC anyhow, not necessairly the spread, as vaccinated are not the ones causing the problems at hospitals and ICU's, there isn't an unlimited supply of doctors and nurses and support staff, and people are having surgeries delayed, some cancer patients even having surgeries delayed because so many unvaccinated COVID patients taking up the resources that are not unlimited.

COVID 0 isn't happening, and people need to stop thinking it will, but if life is made hard for the unvaccinated it will hopefully push them to get vaccinated.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 6:37 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Us sickos who are immunocompromised can get a 3rd shot so I'm booked in for mine tomorrow. Hopefully I don't feel like crap for 24hrs after.
Glad you're able to get that 3rd shot Danny, hope it doesn't hit you too hard.

It's been a bloody mission for me to get vaccinated. Had to cancel my first AZ jab due to having to go back on steroids for an autoimmune condition flare-up. Finally got the first jab 2 1/2 months ago, was booked to get my second in two weeks. Two days ago, another bloody flare-up. Christ up a gum tree! Have decided to swerve the steroids, I want that second jab! Oz govt. has said that people who are 'severely immunocompromised' will be offered a third jab but I don't think that includes me.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 7:22 pm
Oscar nominated

Over here, the vaccinated can attend work with no restrictions upon testing, whereas the unvaccinated have to provide tests every 3 days and at their own expense. This is despite the fact that the vaccinated can acquire it and pass it on.
...although several pieces of research have shown the infectious period is shorter when vaccinated and depending on which variant is involved a lower load is passed on by the vaccinated. So less likely to pass on and possibly a lower load if passed on.
But I suppose one could argue that the vaccinated person, infectious but feeling good (or not too bad) might be more likely to go out and potentially expose others, whereas the unvaccinated and feeling lousy person stays home.
Vaccines protect those that have them, they don't really protect anyone else, unless you wish to argue that, by not being vaccinated, you expose the vaccinated to risks caused by the hospitals being overwhelmed which, as far as I can tell, hasn't happened anywhere in Canada.
I suppose that depends on definitions. Alberta just borrowing medical personnel from Ontario isn't the first example. I recall reading Ontario (I think) borrowed medical staff previously.

NB currently has 4 or 5 times as many people in hospital as we had at any single time last year but an out patient thing I had due last year was delayed by 5 months and was then not done at the hospital. One hears about surgeries and other matters being put back indefinitely all over Canada.

In the UK the government paid a fortune to private hospitals to help the NHS out and there's just been a report to say they did a fraction of what was paid for. So much less than usual has been done.

Might not count as hospitals being overwhelmed but all the patients waiting even longer for hip and knee surgery and other things might not agree.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 8:15 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
We will very likely all need boosters, that much is fairly clear as the studies are showing waning efficacy with time,

Yes those vaccinated can still get sick, and spread but the key difference is the vaccinated end up in hospital far less often, and don't overwhelm the hospitals like the unvaccinated do, we will never rid outselves of the virus, its here to stay, but the vaccine does do a wonderful job at preventing hospitalization which is the key driver of decisions now in BC anyhow, not necessairly the spread, as vaccinated are not the ones causing the problems at hospitals and ICU's, there isn't an unlimited supply of doctors and nurses and support staff, and people are having surgeries delayed, some cancer patients even having surgeries delayed because so many unvaccinated COVID patients taking up the resources that are not unlimited.

COVID 0 isn't happening, and people need to stop thinking it will, but if life is made hard for the unvaccinated it will hopefully push them to get vaccinated.
Except those like me who can't be vaccinated and are made to feel like lepers...totally fed up with it all. They could offer the option to show proof that you aren't carrying it as an option to the vaccine passport (i.e. a negative test).. but I guess the majority rules in this country
Old Oct 8th 2021, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Except those like me who can't be vaccinated and are made to feel like lepers...totally fed up with it all. They could offer the option to show proof that you aren't carrying it as an option to the vaccine passport (i.e. a negative test).. but I guess the majority rules in this country
Yes, I do wish they had exemptions for those who have been advised by their doctors not to get it as its not their fault.

Old Oct 8th 2021, 9:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yes, I do wish they had exemptions for those who have been advised by their doctors not to get it as its not their fault.
There are only 2 medical reasons for exemption in Ontario. I suppose if you are one of those unfortunate people, you would not want to mix with the general public in case you catch Covid, or indeed flu as flu season is fast approaching. I realize that is not always possible ie doctor’s or dentist appointment, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.