Coronavirus

Old Jun 13th 2021, 10:42 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suppose it drives the economy and, indeed, I shop. I bought nearly a thousand dollars worth of wood stain today and a new paintbrush. Clothing though, in a country that doesn't have fashion, seems a very odd thing to queue for.
Canada's Incredibly Ugly Centennial Tartan, the Canadian Tuxedo, touques... you're right, we have no national sense of fashion. I feel spiffy even when I get new work clothes and underwear. Business will chart our spending patterns as we re-emerge from lockdown, and will conveniently place the hole for us to throw our money down.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 11:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Crazy people will wait in line for hours to shop, glad its more sane in my part of the world.
This Winners talk probably illustrates the two nations of Canada.
I can't speak for Winners specifically but my stepdaughter works at HomeSense which is part of the same group and probably less essential than Winners who, I gather, sells clothing in addition to other household stuff.
Apart from that initial month of 'lockdown' I think it's been open all the time.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 12:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Clothing though, in a country that doesn't have fashion, seems a very odd thing to queue for.
This always remind me of my old office. There was a woman who dressed like Alison Moyet in her Yazoo days.

Hearing that I was leaving she said "I like Canada. They don't care what they look like."
Old Jun 13th 2021, 12:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Crazy people will wait in line for hours to shop, glad its more sane in my part of the world.
Like the last time shops reopened…I do not intend to ‘shop’ for a week or two. I refuse to stand in line outside a grocery store, so I am certainly not waiting outside non essential shops.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I can't speak for Winners specifically but my stepdaughter works at HomeSense which is part of the same group and probably less essential than Winners who, I gather, sells clothing in addition to other household stuff.
Apart from that initial month of 'lockdown' I think it's been open all the time.
i went to the dentist last week, and the hygienist was really looking forward to Homesense reopening. I got quite a detailed review of the place, and her purchases.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 5:11 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
i went to the dentist last week, and the hygienist was really looking forward to Homesense reopening. I got quite a detailed review of the place, and her purchases.

Well that's even more illustrative than I thought. HomeSense and Winners. Closed in Ontario open over here.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Same in BC, aside from early in the pandemic last year when some stores voluntarily closed, it's been business as usual for retail in BC.

I can say literally nothing restriction wise has affected our day to day living.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 7:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's even more illustrative than I thought. HomeSense and Winners. Closed in Ontario open over here.
As of 12.00am Friday they are open in Ontario…15% capacity.

Just called at Sobey’s about twenty people waiting to get inside. Stuff that…didn’t get out of the car.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 9:57 pm
Oscar nominated

Same in BC, aside from early in the pandemic last year when some stores voluntarily closed, it's been business as usual for retail in BC.

I can say literally nothing restriction wise has affected our day to day living.
We've not eaten out since January last year, but we've had a variety of meal delivery instead. I even had a poutine - albeit a butter chicken one
And grocery shopping has mostly been delivery of course.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Just called at Sobey’s about twenty people waiting to get inside. Stuff that…didn’t get out of the car.
I've done 4 big store grocery shops in the last two months and pretty much monthly to Giant Tiger since last summer. Not a sign of a queue.

Maybe there should be an app to see what the waiting time is.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

There haven't been any real queues to get into a grocery store here, except maybe waiting for the person in front of you to be checked by a store employee as to mask and hand sanitizer, while his companion made sure that the cart handles were wiped ............. and even that was only in the first few weeks last March/April.

The grocery stores were only closed for about 2 weeks in March last year, not even long enough for us to have to worry about doing an online shop. That was the length of time it took the stores and the health officials to work out how to operate safely, to mark out the floors for safe distancing, etc etc.. Then grocery stores were declared essential, and fully re-opened. That also included the little neighbourhood ma-and-pa groceries. There was no change in the way they were operating in this last wave.

Now, there may have been queues at certain busy times, but we never experienced any. Of course, we don't go shopping at 5 pm on Friday or Saturday lunch time, or other known busy times!

Our only problem was with the usual pre-pandemic "I'll just leave my cart here while I go 2 lanes over ....", or "Hi Jane, how lovely to see you, let's have a chat ..... " thus blocking up the whole aisle, (which of course is the only "down" aisle in the frozen foods section)

Nor have most other stores been closed again after they re-opened last June/July, except for some restriction on numbers.

This is why some of us have been so disturbed when people in Ontario have constantly complained how bad it has been. On and PQ are really the only 2 provinces that have been so harshly treated, for so long yet some are describing it as the whole country's experience. It wasn't, and isn't.
Old Jun 14th 2021, 12:01 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

This is why some of us have been so disturbed when people in Ontario have constantly complained how bad it has been.
My experience in Ontario has been that, in the first couple of weeks, there were some queues and a few items, flour, toilet paper, Marmite, London Pride, were hard to obtain. After that, there have been no queues to speak of at Loblaws or Sobeys and everything has been in stock (as much as usual anyway). The butcher's and the tack shop served through windows which isn't a problem if you know what you want but limits browsing. The longest queues, at shops I go to, were at the LCBO but they're not very good at retail and are often in disarray without the pandemic.

So, for shopping it hasn't been bad at all, I even bought a car during the pandemic, as easily as at any other time.
Old Jun 14th 2021, 1:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

My experience in Ontario has been that, in the first couple of weeks, there were some queues and a few items, flour, toilet paper, Marmite, London Pride, were hard to obtain. After that, there have been no queues to speak of at Loblaws or Sobeys and everything has been in stock (as much as usual anyway). The butcher's and the tack shop served through windows which isn't a problem if you know what you want but limits browsing. The longest queues, at shops I go to, were at the LCBO but they're not very good at retail and are often in disarray without the pandemic.

So, for shopping it hasn't been bad at all, I even bought a car during the pandemic, as easily as at any other time.
I must admit I have rarely seen a queue outside supermarkets, but I did today. I have noticed before that Sunday afternoon seems to be a particularly busy time for some odd reason.
Old Jun 14th 2021, 2:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen a line to get into a store since maybe last June.
Old Jun 15th 2021, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

BC now in Stage 2 of loosening of restrictions.............. over 75% eligible have received at least the 1st jab.
Old Jun 16th 2021, 10:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

This is loosely related to coronavirus and, being someone who has always ranked Eric Clapton down there with Coldplay, it made me roar (even the video at the end):

https://www.avclub.com/still-not-tir...pro-1847097548

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.