Coronavirus

Old Dec 5th 2020, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by caretaker
Something that hasn't been discussed on here or on the news much recently is the possibility of the virus mutating and either rendering vaccines ineffective or less potent. I give it the same consideration I do for the annual flu shot; never mind and shoot me up anyway. At least I'll be doing what I can. Just as initial information about the virus kept changing and dictating changes in our response, I think we can expect more detours and roadblocks in the coming year. When a problem arises with the vaccine, science will work it out, and when a problem arises with the logistics of distribution and vaccination, the government will deal with it.
That will always be a concern mutating enough to render the vaccine ineffective, but I don't know if this virus mutates fast enough to outpace vaccines, but I guess we will be finding out.

Long term as well, how effective will it be, will it be a get it once vaccine, or will we need boosters, but I guess time will tell there as well.

I don't believe we will ever be COVID free at this point, but hopefully we can contain it enough to where it becomes less strain on healthcare systems and reduces deaths enough, but I don't think we will eradicate the virus at this point.
Old Dec 5th 2020, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

That likely depends on whether or not healthcare facilities can cope or not. If Covid patients swamp ICU space and cause deaths due to other treatments being sidelined, as they are doing now, it will probably continue.
BC has had to move a few patients from Northern BC to Victoria to relive some pressure on facilities there.

Old Dec 5th 2020, 8:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
BC has had to move a few patients from Northern BC to Victoria to relive some pressure on facilities there.
What about wait times for the other business hospitals were doing before this started? If someone dies because the wait time for their surgery or testing was extended because of Covid patients straining the system, I consider that a Covid related death. Same if they die because the hospital is understaffed. The nursing home my friend's mom is in had 54 of the 200 residents positive for the disease, and a quite a few of them are probably going to pass away when they might have otherwise had quite a few years left.

Last edited by caretaker; Dec 5th 2020 at 8:36 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2020, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

What about wait times for the other business hospitals were doing before this started? If someone dies because the wait time for their surgery or testing was extended because of Covid patients straining the system, I consider that a Covid related death. Same if they die because the hospital is understaffed. The nursing home my friend's mom is in had 54 of the 200 residents positive for the disease, and a quite a few of them are probably going to pass away when they might have otherwise had quite a few years left.

Your not wrong. I don't know how backed up "elective" procedures are from the spring shut down, I know the province has pumped in some money and resources to try and catch up, but probably be a year or 2 before we really know the extend that shut down caused.

I did have to wait like 5 months for my CT scan, which was the longest I ever had to wait for one.

Mental health toll as well from the pandemic, and the system is ill-equipped to handle.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/202...mic-began.html
Old Dec 5th 2020, 8:44 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Mental health toll as well from the pandemic, and the system is ill-equipped to handle.
We had a real spate of overdose deaths in Regina, and the pandemic is the only thing to really blame for it. Some of those are suicides.
Old Dec 5th 2020, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

We had a real spate of overdose deaths in Regina, and the pandemic is the only thing to really blame for it. Some of those are suicides.

Same in BC and lots of places in US and Canada, overdose deaths are quite high this year. How many were accidental vs intentional I have no idea, and 2020 suicide states wont be available until probably mid to late 2021, so we wont know for sure, but I would not be surprised if late 2020 sees an uptick in suicides.

1,386 overdose deaths as of end of November, likely higher now in BC. October 2020 was just about double October 2019, averaged 5 per day in October.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7483748/b...-october-2020/

Old Dec 5th 2020, 9:02 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

1,386 overdose deaths as of end of November, likely higher now in BC. October 2020 was just about double October 2019, averaged 5 per day in October.
There's probably more hard drugs sold within 500 yards of here (excluding wholesale deals) on a daily basis than in the rest of the country combined, so it's an uphill battle from the start.

Pigeon Park in the DTES
Old Dec 5th 2020, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

There's probably more hard drugs sold within 500 yards of here (excluding wholesale deals) on a daily basis than in the rest of the country combined, so it's an uphill battle from the start.

Pigeon Park in the DTES
No doubt there. Of anywhere I lived, Vancouver is probably the easiest place to find drugs if you desire. Just go there, ask anyone and under 5 minutes have what your looking for.
Old Dec 5th 2020, 11:02 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

CBC's Fifth Estate just came on, and it's about migrant farm workers in Canada during the pandemic.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 9:50 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Are Americans being hospitalized for Covid having to pay for any of the treatment?
Old Dec 6th 2020, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

That likely depends on whether or not healthcare facilities can cope or not. If Covid patients swamp ICU space and cause deaths due to other treatments being sidelined, as they are doing now, it will probably continue.
As said, only 0.5% of Covid 19 infections are travel related. It's nothing more than that. However travellers have to bear the brunt of all the community based Covid 19 infections.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
As said, only 0.5% of Covid 19 infections are travel related. It's nothing more than that. However travellers have to bear the brunt of all the community based Covid 19 infections.
But the reason that percentage is so low is because folk arent travelling.

If airports were busy transmission in airports would no doubt be higher.

Couple that with touristy destinations within Canada, thousands of folk going to lake Louise using the buses to get from lower car parks, coughing on each other at gift shops, then falling ill a few days later in little towns ill equipped to deal with much other than fractures and concussions for visitors.

Those travelling for business etc aren't now attending big conferences and packed hotel bars etc.

If travel was normal I would imagine transmission would be a much higher percentage of total numbers - as well as being the really important transmissions (as potentially 1 tourist is responsible for moving this disease across international borders).
Old Dec 6th 2020, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

How do they know what percentage are travel related, how scientifically could you measure this? I know in my State they have admitted they are not tracking every person who gets it and in any event there is to my knowledge no way of knowing who you got it from.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
How do they know what percentage are travel related, how scientifically could you measure this? I know in my State they have admitted they are not tracking every person who gets it and in any event there is to my knowledge no way of knowing who you got it from.
​​​​​​In the UK it's contact tracing and questionairres.
​​​​​​
Trouble is almost everyone has been to the supermarket multiple times in 2 weeks prior to their positive.

The other side is I know plenty of folk breaking lock down rules. However pretty sure rather than dropping their mates/family in it about holding a house party - they'll give the answer of "some bloke in tescos coughed on me"
Old Dec 6th 2020, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
​​​​​​In the UK it's contact tracing and questionairres.
​​​​​​
Trouble is almost everyone has been to the supermarket multiple times in 2 weeks prior to their positive.

The other side is I know plenty of folk breaking lock down rules. However pretty sure rather than dropping their mates/family in it about holding a house party - they'll give the answer of "some bloke in tescos coughed on me"
Bit like my Google timeline for the month, shows some of the places that I have been to, but by no means all. A friends daughter has been notified to test due to a potential contact, and so far so good negative, but if he does test positive could it be due to the contact tracing or something totally different, do not see how you could know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.