Coronavirus

Old Sep 27th 2020, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

for me the vaccine bit is something people are being over optimistic about.

A flu vaccine hasn't eliminated the Flu - we already know this virus has mutations and varying strains, much like the flu. Whilst flu deaths could be reduced if everyone vaccinated it's not going anywhere.

I don't believe a virus in its infancy like this will be responsive to a vaccine - at which point we have to ask is travel a thing of the past, or do we accept the risks it brings? ( less of an issue for the UK and the US as with such high infection rates, someone on a plane from New Zealand is less likely to be carrying it than Dave down the pub) in a similar vein do rural communities within Canada look at those from the big cities as the infected ones when they stop in town.

Are we all wearing masks and shopping the bare minimum and not kissing strangers in pubs(if that's your thing) for the next 5-10 years??.
Old Sep 27th 2020, 6:21 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

An epidemiologist on TV today did indeed call into question when things may get back to normal. The chilling phrase was "...if ever".

I suppose masks, travel restrictions, targetted lockdowns will persist for at least 2021. No fun.
Old Sep 27th 2020, 6:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
An epidemiologist on TV today did indeed call into question when things may get back to normal. The chilling phrase was "...if ever".

I suppose masks, travel restrictions, targetted lockdowns will persist for at least 2021. No fun.
It is interesting to hear the latest thoughts, but in fact the predictions haven't changed significantly since the pandemic was originally declared back in March, that it will be 2-3 years (as of a March 2020) before things can "return to normal" irrespective of whether a vaccine is developed or not.
Old Sep 27th 2020, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Another missed tourism year in BC is going to be painful, will be interesting to see how the government deals with it, other sectors are not big enough or growing fast enough to absorb all the jobs lost in the tourism and travel sector.

If not for the wage subsidy program, a lot more companies would have laid people off, but that wont last forever, and the government is reducing the subsidy as well, Westjet say's their employees on the wage subsidy will see a 53% decrease in pay to $400 something a week. I guess its better than being laid off altogether but Westjet has no actual work for these workers so most are staying home.

Air Canada decided to go the other route and just lay off nearly 50% of their workers rather than deal with the wage subsidy program since they had no work for the workers.

While BC has gained some jobs since this began in March, we have still lost more than has been gained back, so its not pretty out there if your in need of a job.

Old Sep 27th 2020, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Another missed tourism year in BC is going to be painful, will be interesting to see how the government deals with it, other sectors are not big enough or growing fast enough to absorb all the jobs lost in the tourism and travel sector.

While BC has gained some jobs since this began in March, we have still lost more than has been gained back, so its not pretty out there if your in need of a job.
For this reason, and for the first time in 18+ months of the the immigration process. I am actually starting to consider whether my move to Canada is a viable one at all, or whether I should just forget it and stay in the UK.
Old Sep 27th 2020, 7:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

If a vaccine is developed and works...
Will they just have central vaccination points people drive through, or distribute through pharmacies and clinics like the flu shot and other vaccines......
Probably the same as H1N1 but with lessons learned.

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
for me the vaccine bit is something people are being over optimistic about.
We need optimism so as to encourage the various safeguards.
A flu vaccine hasn't eliminated the Flu - we already know this virus has mutations and varying strains, much like the flu.
From previous discussions here, effectiveness of flu jabs has been between 40 and 80%, mostly at the upper end., so usually more than 50% successful.
Currently the UK has a bit over 6000 cases per million. Or one in ten thousand if my maths is good.

If the effectiveness of the vaccine was similar to flu that would lower the one in ten thousand to one in twenty thousand or less. I think that would be quite good if taken in sufficient numbers of course.

Old Sep 27th 2020, 7:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

We need optimism so as to encourage the various safeguards.

From previous discussions here, effectiveness of flu jabs has been between 40 and 80%, mostly at the upper end., so usually more than 50% successful.
Currently the UK has a bit over 6000 cases per million. Or one in ten thousand if my maths is good. .....
6,000 per 1,000,000 = 6 per 1,000 = 1 per 167 = 0.6%.

What I haven't see yet is any breakdown over time of how many infections there have been, and how/ where they occured, say by month, or even by quarter, as early on, precautions were haphazard and the disease ran rampant in care homes, whereas AFAIK care homes have been much less of a factor in the new wave of infections. So the controls and restrictions that shut down the first wave may not be effective in bringing the second wave to an end.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 27th 2020 at 7:52 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2020, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Currently the UK has a bit over 6000 cases per million. Or one in ten thousand if my maths is good.

If the effectiveness of the vaccine was similar to flu that would lower the one in ten thousand to one in twenty thousand or less. I think that would be quite good if taken in sufficient numbers of course.
It definitely beats a kick in the gonads that's for sure, but a lot of people think the vaccine will be some sort of kill switch.

Truth be told each year the flu vaccine is adjusted to try and combat the most prevalent strains of the flu that year. some years it bob on, other years its not quite as effective (whether that's an aggressive strain of the flu, or a vaccine that was more effective against a less common strain that year who knows), coupled with that folk who get the vaccine do still die from the flu - we've got to see a) will this vaccine be efffective against the strains out there at launch (being effective against the most aggressive strain is a winner) b) how effective it is outside of the small trials currently being done (different ages, those with underlying health conditions, differences in ethnicity etc) c) how long it is effective for.

All this means that COVID will still be here for some time, Herd immunity may well be a factor for the US/UK before a vaccine is.

In other COVID news, seen the 10pm rush hour that is now present in the UK on Friday and Saturday nights!! not sure its better or worse than everyone drinking to the wee hours.
Old Sep 27th 2020, 7:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

In other COVID news, seen the 10pm rush hour that is now present in the UK on Friday and Saturday nights!! not sure its better or worse than everyone drinking to the wee hours.
It's a bit like the old last orders rush.

I see some of the football kick off times have been brought forward because people leaving the pub at 10.00 pm would miss the end of the match on TV.

Priorities eh?
Old Sep 27th 2020, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
6,000 per 1,000,000 = 6 per 1,000 = 1 per 167 = 0.6%.

What I haven't see yet is any breakdown over time of how many infections there have been, and how/ where they occured, say by month, or even by quarter, as early on, precautions were haphazard and the disease ran rampant in care homes, whereas AFAIK care homes have been much less of a factor in the new wave of infections. So the controls and restrictions that shut down the first wave may not be effective in bringing the second wave to an end.
Also doesn't help when a so called medical professional does something like this, resulting in 26 deaths.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7342066/l...leaked-report/

Old Sep 27th 2020, 9:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Saskatchewan reported 15 new cases of of the novel coronavirus on Sunday with total cases reaching 1,878.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7362691/c...t-27-covid-19/
Old Sep 28th 2020, 1:51 am

Also doesn't help when a so called medical professional does something like this, resulting in 26 deaths. ....
In my humble opinion, medical professionals are not as special as many people try to give them credit for and they're every bit as capable as making stupid decisions as the rest of us, even when they absolutely should have known better.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 2:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In my humble opinion, medical professionals are not as special as many people try to give them credit for and they're every bit as capable as making stupid decisions as the rest of us, even when they absolutely should have known better.
Oh no doubt. At least the nurse appears to have been fired, or forced to resign.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 28th 2020 at 2:06 am.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 2:07 am

Oh no doubt. At least the nurse appears to have been fired, or forced to resign. But I think they should also at least lose their license to practice.
IMO she should be prosecuted for at least some sort of negligent homicide - her actions were in late April, so she would have had actual knowledge about the disease and the mortality rate for elderly and sick residents. Her actions were thoughtless, reckless, arrogant, and grossly unprofessional, and if she was in the US she and her employer would no doubt be facing a list of civil suits that would bankrupt her and her employer. As a bare minimum she deserves to be disqualified from practicing.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 28th 2020 at 3:37 am.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 3:28 am
Account Closed

I don't even know what they did during H1N1, I don't recall anything special being done vaccine wise. But I didn't pay much attention to H1N1 either.

For this reason, and for the first time in 18+ months of the the immigration process. I am actually starting to consider whether my move to Canada is a viable one at all, or whether I should just forget it and stay in the UK.
It's hard to know these days, things can change so quickly month to month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.