Coronavirus

Old Sep 20th 2020, 6:00 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Shard
Just a silly remark someone made which the press is using to generate interest. The reality is that reducing transmission period is an effective way to reduce transmission risk. If the point was made as "let's limit drinking time to 5 hours instead of 6 hours to reduce transmission opportunity" nobody would dispute it.
Let's be honest, alcohol and social distancing do not mix no matter what time of day it is.
Old Sep 20th 2020, 9:18 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Let the panic buying commence in 3..2...1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-sell-out.html

Old Sep 20th 2020, 9:28 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
No I'm good. Probably until Christmas. Booze, dope, food, what have you.
WC Fields said "I remember one time while on safari, we ran out of supplies.... and we were forced to subsist on food and water for several days..."
Old Sep 20th 2020, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-sell-out.html
I hope that doesn't happen here again, it was too much trying to get basics for those 2 months, there were times where I just went to McDonald's rather than fuss with the grocery store panic, and then finding they were out of most things.

But was helpful in making money with IC during that pandemic buying.

Then maybe the Canadian Tire in West Kelowna needs some panic buying, goodness the store was in such bad shape today, stock everywhere on carts and pallets, some aisles nearly impossible to go down because they had shoved excess stock in them.

I find it's a poor Canadian Tire in general, probably the worst I have ever been to, whoever runs/owns this location needs to up their game, the Vancouver one on Grandview was probably the best, nice and big over 3 levels, clean and organized most of the time.

Old Sep 21st 2020, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I hope that doesn't happen here again, it was too much trying to get basics for those 2 months, there were times where I just went to McDonald's rather than fuss with the grocery store panic, and then finding they were out of most things.

But was helpful in making money with IC during that pandemic buying.

Then maybe the Canadian Tire in West Kelowna needs some panic buying, goodness the store was in such bad shape today, stock everywhere on carts and pallets, some aisles nearly impossible to go down because they had shoved excess stock in them.

I find it's a poor Canadian Tire in general, probably the worst I have ever been to, whoever runs/owns this location needs to up their game, the Vancouver one on Grandview was probably the best, nice and big over 3 levels, clean and organized most of the time.
Agree the West Kelowna one is the worst. I was there last week and it was the same you got to the bottom of an aisle and you couldn't get out so the whole social distance thing was a joke. Much prefer the Home Depot although they don't have the same range of stuff of course. On the plus side they had pallet loads of TP
Old Sep 21st 2020, 3:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Agree the West Kelowna one is the worst. I was there last week and it was the same you got to the bottom of an aisle and you couldn't get out so the whole social distance thing was a joke. Much prefer the Home Depot although they don't have the same range of stuff of course. On the plus side they had pallet loads of TP
I just walked out of the store, it wasn't worth the mess and the aisle I needed was impossible to get down because of all the stuff they shoved into it.

I find I go to stores more often and order less on Amazon here, mostly because it seems to take Amazon 4-7 days to get anything here, the convivence isn't there, may as well go to the store since its fairly quickly to drive around.

As for COVID some info coming to light about one of the long term care home outbreaks, this particular home had 2 outbreaks, the 2nd being causes by a staff member who knew they were sick, showing symptoms but somehow avoid the pre-shift checks and came to work. End result, 51 patients and 15 staff ended up sick, 26 of the patients died.

Article here.

Old Sep 21st 2020, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

As for COVID some info coming to light about one of the long term care home outbreaks, this particular home had 2 outbreaks, the 2nd being causes by a staff member who knew they were sick, showing symptoms but somehow avoid the pre-shift checks and came to work. End result, 51 patients and 15 staff ended up sick, 26 of the patients died.

Article here.
What grief, and the ultimate selfishness on the part of the staff member.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 2:44 pm
Tea Drinker

Unknown illness hits China. First reported in Jan 2020

https://i.redd.it/t1yvlfv8xaj51.jpg

Old Sep 21st 2020, 5:39 pm
Tea Drinker

Spain is 6 weeks ahead of the UK and the UK is about 4 weeks ahead of Canada. I reckon more restrictions will be here in Canada by Halloween.

Madrid orders partial lockdown after surge in Covid-19 infections.
The UK's COVID-19 alert level has been moved from level three to level four, meaning transmission of the virus is high or rising exponentially.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 8:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Spain is 6 weeks ahead of the UK and the UK is about 4 weeks ahead of Canada. I reckon more restrictions will be here in Canada by Halloween.

Madrid orders partial lockdown after surge in Covid-19 infections.
The UK's COVID-19 alert level has been moved from level three to level four, meaning transmission of the virus is high or rising exponentially.
Didn't know about the 4 week rule of thumb. I assumed Spain/France was +2 weeks on UK. Anyway, looks like Fall will be tricky.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 8:27 pm
Account Closed

Unknown illness hits China. First reported in Jan 2020

https://i.redd.it/t1yvlfv8xaj51.jpg
Oh how long ago it was. Remember when they thought it wasn't air borne?

I noticed Wal-Mart has placed industrial HEPA filters around their store in West Kelowna, not sure how effective they are in a big store, but I counted 4 of them. Could be more of them, just happened to see those 4.
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 3:32 am
Account Closed

Might be paper towels this time around.

Kruger the biggest producer of said product in Canada is concerned as demand is currently high and supply is tight across North America.

They are also facing a shortage of recycled paper fiber as less people working in offices printing stuff appears to have also led to a shortage of recycled paper fiber.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/pap...ovid-1.5732782

Old Sep 22nd 2020, 7:14 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

UK announces pubs and restaurants to close at 10pm. I would be amazed if this would make the slightest bit of difference. It stinks of "trying to be seen to do something, anything" but without actually trying to do something, anything.

I was generally very supportive of the lockdown in March, but as time has passed and it has become clearer that COVID is not actually in the Ebola league for mortality - or even illness - it seems a madness to impose destructive sanctions on whole swathes of society, with serious repercussions for generations to come. It would make more sense just to ensure that high-risk groups are shielded and supported as much as possible. Closing the Red Lion at 10pm instead of 11pm isn't going to make a jot of difference to Aunt Elsie who went to bed after Coronation Street.
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 10:30 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
UK announces pubs and restaurants to close at 10pm. I would be amazed if this would make the slightest bit of difference. It stinks of "trying to be seen to do something, anything" but without actually trying to do something, anything.

I was generally very supportive of the lockdown in March, but as time has passed and it has become clearer that COVID is not actually in the Ebola league for mortality - or even illness - it seems a madness to impose destructive sanctions on whole swathes of society, with serious repercussions for generations to come. It would make more sense just to ensure that high-risk groups are shielded and supported as much as possible. Closing the Red Lion at 10pm instead of 11pm isn't going to make a jot of difference to Aunt Elsie who went to bed after Coronation Street.
I don't think Covid was ever pitched as Ebola league. It's nevertheless highly infectious (since it transmits in the asymtomatic) and it seems as if there is no ongoing immunity, once contracte and recoved. There is also emerging the condition which they are calling 'long Covid' namely ongoing long-term complications from the disease. I think the madness would be to permit the disease to spread in society, and then we would have health as well as economic destruction to contend with. In that respect, whatever intervention this inept government is cooking up is to be welcomed.

As to pubs 10 pm, probably too little, too 'late'. Perhaps a 9 pm or 8 pm curfew would be more effective. Managing the virus spread necssitates reducing transmission opportunity, and pub time is unfortunately one aspect of that.
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 1:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I don't think Covid was ever pitched as Ebola league. It's nevertheless highly infectious (since it transmits in the asymtomatic) and it seems as if there is no ongoing immunity, once contracte and recoved. There is also emerging the condition which they are calling 'long Covid' namely ongoing long-term complications from the disease. I think the madness would be to permit the disease to spread in society, and then we would have health as well as economic destruction to contend with...
There's also the knock-on effect of other things not being treated if hospital time is taken up treating people with covid as well as the extra time/resources into preventing spread from covid patients to others.

For myself, having reported a complete lack of strength in my legs to my doctor - I couldn't walk 10 minutes without resting nor ride my bike anymore - I was referred for a circulation test (ABI, I believe) and an appointment was lined up in March.

It was then on hold when non urgent stuff was cancelled and finally rearranged. But then because my stepdaughter had covid symptoms, her employer insisted on her contacting the covid line which led to another covid test - her second. Negative but my appointment had to be cancelled again. I'm rebooked but the same thing could easily happen again - either symptoms for one of the four of us in the house or the whole thing gets cancelled again.

In the meantime, difficulty in walking 10 minutes has now become extreme discomfort at 5 minutes plus pain. The long term implications - or maybe there is no 'long term' - are concerning especially as the problem could have been identified and remedied 6 months ago.

For many I imagine it's even worse, so it's not just about what covid can do to people. Anything that reduces its spread - even if it's not immediately fatal - will help in other areas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.