Coronavirus

Old Aug 20th 2020, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Gozit
The difference is there are multiple alternatives to drink driving that are much safer and don't cause any inconvenience - hail a taxi, order an uber, call a friend for a ride home, call "keys please" or similar...they all cost a little money but are zero inconvenience to you. Before alot of those things came into place people were (unfortunately) ignoring drink driving laws too.

There is no alternative to self isolating if you have confirmed covid test or covid symptoms, and self isolating is just, well, inconvenient.

Asking someone to self isolate on the basis that they 'might' have covid is like asking someone to walk home in a pouring rainstorm because they had a sip of their spouse's beer at supper "just in case" they were over the drink drive limit, and took a breathalyser but that breathalyser would take 24-48 hours to actually spit out a result. That's my issue with the testing and then mandated self isolation until the results come back. There are tests where the results take 2-3 hours to come back so why not just use those?
I guess it's how inconvenient you view self isolating? personally a 2 hour walk home, or 2 days stuck in my house is probably on a similar level.

Surely you can at least see the issue with what your saying though and how selfish it appears (even if it may be a poor choice of wording)?

We already know often this is asymptomatic, or people suffer only mild symptoms -so to stop the spread surely once displaying symptoms you should self isolate or get tested, as you cannot be sure your symptoms are an allergy (although I get you may be fairly confident off additional symptoms which aren't COVID like that its not - but you didn't say this) but with regards a seasonal flu like illness - you've got zero knowledge whether it is seasonal flu or COVID, so to do anything other than self isolate and/or get tested is pretty reckless.

Maybe I'm a little off in assuming how easy it is to self isolate for 2/3/4/5 days - as to me it would be a cake walk to do this repeatedly, especially if I was feeling under the weather and with the current way of the world etc. You may have some sort of medical or social issue that makes self isolation extremely hard for you, but none of your posts mention this and seems purely a "this is unconstitutional, the government can't make me stay inside for a few days"

Last edited by Stumpylegs; Aug 20th 2020 at 6:03 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
I guess it's how inconvenient you view self isolating?

Surely you can at least see the issue with what your saying though and how selfish it appears (even if it may be a poor choice of wording)?

We already know often this is asymptomatic, or people suffer only mild symptoms -so to stop the spread surely once displaying symptoms you should self isolate or get tested, as you cannot be sure your symptoms are an allergy (although I get you may be fairly confident off additional symptoms which aren't COVID like that its not - but you didn't say this) but with regards a seasonal flu like illness - you've got zero knowledge whether it is seasonal flu or COVID, so to do anything other than self isolate and/or get tested is pretty reckless.
I mean clearly I view it as pretty inconvenient otherwise I wouldn't complain about it. I'm a "busy" person and I don't think I remember the last time I didn't leave the house at all, even at the beginning of all this when everything was closed I would at least go for a drive by myself to get out of the house, without stopping anywhere. But even that isn't allowed when you are on self isolation.

I've never had flu like symptoms since this started, fingers crossed... I know when my seasonal allergies are the worst (Aug-Oct.) and have discussed it with my GP and am on appropriate meds for it. If I did develop severe flu like symptoms I would definitely self isolate as much as possible until those symptoms cleared, but still wouldn't get tested. Again, don't want public health on my trail for weeks on end. Hell, up until a couple weeks ago any police officer could query name and DOB to see if a person had ever tested positive for COVID which is a massive privacy breach that was thankfully overturned in court. I don't trust what they are doing with the information. But it shouldn't matter whether or not I am included in a statistic so long as I take precautions to avoid spreading whatever illness I have to other people.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
I guess it's how inconvenient you view self isolating? personally a 2 hour walk home, or 2 days stuck in my house is probably on a similar level.

Maybe I'm a little off in assuming how easy it is to self isolate for 2/3/4/5 days - as to me it would be a cake walk to do this repeatedly, especially if I was feeling under the weather and with the current way of the world etc. You may have some sort of medical or social issue that makes self isolation extremely hard for you, but none of your posts mention this and seems purely a "this is unconstitutional, the government can't make me stay inside for a few days"
You edited the last bit in while I was typing my post...yes i would say definitely a social issue, I don't do well by myself at all and wouldn't do well in a scenario where I couldn't leave my house for a certain period of time. Of course I know people where it would be a cakewalk, and people who have been doing it voluntarily except for essential outings ever since this began.

I've taken the whole thing pretty hard, up until June/July not really seeing much of friends, no social life/clubbing, and this will be the first year in 5 years I haven't spent a portion of the summer with family in Malta.

I only know of one person (a prof of mine) who has had COVID. No one in my immediate family or circle has had any symptoms or gotten tested so you could also say i'm pretty removed from the situation and from my perspective it's all a big deal over nothing since no one I really know personally has been affected by it.

I also live in a region of Ontario that has a fairly low number of cases. I'm outside of the GTA and Windsor-essex etc that have the majority of cases.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 7:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...But it shouldn't matter whether or not I am included in a statistic so long as I take precautions to avoid spreading whatever illness I have to other people.
But it sounds like you are not taking precautions to avoid spreading.
You're saying you'd only self isolate for severe flu-like symptoms and only self isolate until those severe symptoms cleared.
You might have covid and be infectious with less than severe symptoms and when those severe symptoms cleared you could still have covid and be infectious.

What would you think of a friend or colleague whose computer is showing symptoms of a possible virus but he wants to connect to your network?
Old Aug 20th 2020, 8:02 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

You edited the last bit in while I was typing my post...yes i would say definitely a social issue, I don't do well by myself at all and wouldn't do well in a scenario where I couldn't leave my house for a certain period of time. Of course I know people where it would be a cakewalk, and people who have been doing it voluntarily except for essential outings ever since this began.

I've taken the whole thing pretty hard, up until June/July not really seeing much of friends, no social life/clubbing, and this will be the first year in 5 years I haven't spent a portion of the summer with family in Malta.

I only know of one person (a prof of mine) who has had COVID. No one in my immediate family or circle has had any symptoms or gotten tested so you could also say i'm pretty removed from the situation and from my perspective it's all a big deal over nothing since no one I really know personally has been affected by it.

I also live in a region of Ontario that has a fairly low number of cases. I'm outside of the GTA and Windsor-essex etc that have the majority of cases.

You need a broader perspective than just your own. There are about 790,000 confirmed Covid deaths worldwide, never mind the others that have not been counted.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020...aps-and-cases/

No social life or summer holidays is the least of anyone's worries. There are people whose family members have had to die alone in hospital because family members can't come in. Some have long-lasting serious health problems as a result of being ill. Others have lost their jobs and had their livelihoods destroyed. Some people are being evicted because they cannot pay. Others have been separated from the people they love for months, with no idea when that might change. Others have people they love at high risk, who have been hiding indoors for months. Others have not been able to receive medical treatment for cancer and other nasty diseases because they cannot use the hospitals.

It is not a big deal over nothing and it's not helpful to say that it is since that promotes the kind of behaviour that means that more people will die before a vaccine can be found. It also trivializes the situations of people who have been very severely impacted. The more all do, in every way, to slow the spread, the more people will be saved before a vaccine comes along.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Aug 20th 2020 at 8:05 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 8:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

So from took about 23 hours to get my results, negative thankfully, so probably just a cold or something else.

Old Aug 20th 2020, 8:28 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
You need a broader perspective than just your own. There are about 790,000 confirmed Covid deaths worldwide, never mind the others that have not been counted.

No social life or summer holidays is the least of anyone's worries. There are people whose family members have had to die alone in hospital because family members can't come in. Some have long-lasting serious health problems as a result of being ill. Others have lost their jobs and had their livelihoods destroyed. Some people are being evicted because they cannot pay. Others have been separated from the people they love for months, with no idea when that might change. Others have people they love at high risk, who have been hiding indoors for months. Others have not been able to receive medical treatment for cancer and other nasty diseases because they cannot use the hospitals.

It is not a big deal over nothing and it's not helpful to say that it is since that promotes the kind of behaviour that means that more people will die before a vaccine can be found. It also trivializes the situations of people who have been very severely impacted. The more all do, in every way, to slow the spread, the more people will be saved before a vaccine comes along.
All good points. I didn't get to go visit my eldest sister this year because of covid (we're both in the at risk category) and because she isn't in great shape and is 10 years older than me I might never see her again.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 8:28 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
So from took about 23 hours to get my results, negative thankfully, so probably just a cold or something else.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 8:45 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I hate summer colds
Old Aug 20th 2020, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Great news, I think - here's to a speedy recovery.

Still unsure if I was slightly under the weather right now whether I'd want it to be Covid or not - the obvious answer is no, but there would at least be some temporary safety and relief in catching it and having only mild symptoms as the immediate worry about being a silent spreader or suffering really bad from it would be done with.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 8:53 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

You edited the last bit in while I was typing my post...yes i would say definitely a social issue, I don't do well by myself at all and wouldn't do well in a scenario where I couldn't leave my house for a certain period of time. .
I think I said this before back in March, but can you imagine being locked up in a prison cell for 20hrs a day? My 17 year old Daughter was going stir crazy for a while there when things were locked down hard and she had multiple TVs, full use of the internet, 2,000 sq ft home, back yard, she could cook food, face time her friends and do whatever the hell she wanted inside, but she was still bored as shit.

Kids these days, i tell ya, they don't even know their born

Old Aug 20th 2020, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I think I said this before back in March, but can you imagine being locked up in a prison cell for 20hrs a day? My 17 year old Daughter was going stir crazy for a while there when things were locked down hard and she had multiple TVs, full use of the internet, 2,000 sq ft home, back yard, she could cook food, face time her friends and do whatever the hell she wanted inside, but she was still bored as shit.

Kids these days, i tell ya, they don't even know their born
Especially US prisons (for the developed western world anyhow) where depending on crime and sentence some can spend 23/7 inside their cell alone, getting just an hour if they are lucky for exercise which can be done inside a small room, or outside in a small cage.

And at the Super Max in Colorado the feds run, I don't know anyone could stay sane.

Old Aug 20th 2020, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

80 new cases in BC today, hospitalizations remain low.

780 active cases.

Most new cases still in the 20-29 age group, although there is a small increase in the 40-60 age group.

Most new cases 78 of 80 were in Vancouver Coastal Health and Fraser Health, Interior health saw 0 cases between yesterday and today, Northern Health saw 1, Island Health saw 1 for a total of 80.

1 new community outbreak, Loblaws Warehouse where 9 employees have so far tested positive.

2,574 people being monitored due to being exposed to known cases.

Old Aug 21st 2020, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

So what's that, 0.01% of the worlds population? All these things you mention are because of the various government strategies to try and combat the virus they are not a direct result of the virus itself. Lost jobs, closed businesses, people staying indoors, people prevented from seeing loved ones are all because the powers that be said NO and closed everything down and stopped people going out. There is no way that a vaccine will be around for a very long time, years probably so what is the future for all those that choose to wait for a vaccine? Seems very bleak to me. Right now there are still many worried people out there and a lot of faith is being put on masks right now. If we are still seeing spikes and government controls 6 months from now do you not think that the general public will start to lose faith in all these protocols and regulations? I am pretty sure the majority of people are not thinking long term, lets face it pretty much everything that was cancelled this year was just delayed until next Spring/Summer, major events and personal ones like weddings etc. yet do we really and truly believe we will be in a totally different situation next summer? I would love to think we would be but without a cure or vaccine that seems impossible so social life and holidays will become a distant memory
Old Aug 21st 2020, 3:31 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not worried about the actual test, I just don't want to self isolate for any reason, so I just won't ever get tested.

It's not the issue of if the test was positive I would have to self isolate, it is the issue of in between the test being conducted and the results coming through you have to self-isolate regardless and that could be anywhere from 2-5 days.

There is no alternative to self isolating if you have confirmed covid test or covid symptoms, and self isolating is just, well, inconvenient.

. If I did develop severe flu like symptoms I would definitely self isolate as much as possible until those symptoms cleared, but still wouldn't get tested. Again, don't want public health on my trail for weeks on end.
Presumably you'd accept the necessary test if you became really ill with covid-like symptoms and needed hospitalising? You know, so that you would receive the care and treatment you needed to hopefully recover?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.