Coronavirus

Old Aug 3rd 2020, 1:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I don't know if it's permanence that's bothering people so much as perpetual nature of the whole thing.The US/CAN border will one day re-open if it's just so one tribe of feral cave people can trade raw meat and grunt with another in a post-apocalyptic landscape. The problem is that people want to get back to their normal lives and governments are not only preventing them from doing that but at times are also treating them like children. I think the patience and goodwill that a lot of people might have had in March and April might now be starting to spread a little thin.
just been on TV that 79% of people say they have not been affected by the the border closure...nor have their family members. Doesn’t sound like people are losing patience to me.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 1:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't heard anyone here complaining about the border closure, except a northern fishing camp operator on the news. Their season is a write-off, and I think some didn't even open up for Canadian customers. Hunting outfitters will experience the same loss of business in the fall if it goes on that long. My cousins are guides for American hunters at a northern camp in the fall after harvest is done, so this could be costing them a fair bit of money. As for people cracking under the pressure of social restrictions and masks, no sign of Ken or Karen yet (touch wood), but I think we're pretty stoic here. If there's a resurgence of cases, those who are skeptical now may even come around.

Last edited by caretaker; Aug 3rd 2020 at 1:35 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 1:38 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
just been on TV that 79% of people say they have not been affected by the the border closure...nor have their family members. Doesn’t sound like people are losing patience to me.
I think that all depends on who's in your survey pool really.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

That's not exactly tough, you could apply that same logic to every country in the first world.

I'm not sure if forcing people from every single country into a 14 day quarantine period is really "welcoming them with open arms" and Crofty82's recent thread about his experience travelling from LGW to Toronto sounded like something from dystopian fiction. You're right though, unlike the US, they are still accepting new immigrant applications and there have even been PNP draws over the last few weeks which is quite surprising considering the current levels of unemployment. If the PR card processing times I saw over the weekend are anything to go by, they are also working to clear the backlog and return some immigrant services back to normal. Apparently people who applied for PR cards in March when the travel ban was enacted are finally starting to receive AOR's.

Saying that, some of the comments I've seen on CBC News stories and the like have been nothing short of horrific. Bizarrely some of those same people also have the barefaced cheek to go on and accuse Britain of being a populist country.
Yea, I'm not saying the procedures are welcoming but more the people - there is less of a pitchforked mob chasing newly landed folk out of town but neighbours theyve chatted to from the balcony dropping cookies and a pack of beer on their doorstep.

Realise that's only a small percentage of the population but I like to think that Canadians who act like that outnumber those holding signs saying go home and being Xenophobic on message boards.

Here's hoping PPR and COPR comes through for those of us in waiting in the next few weeks. Believe there's been several PNP draws and even one normal all scores draw.

Would also say the quarantine is unavoidable given the messages and topics being posted on less scrupulous forums and Facebook groups!

​​​​​
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 2:17 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Yea, I'm not saying the procedures are welcoming but more the people - there is less of a pitchforked mob chasing newly landed folk out of town but neighbours theyve chatted to from the balcony dropping cookies and a pack of beer on their doorstep.

Realise that's only a small percentage of the population but I like to think that Canadians who act like that outnumber those holding signs saying go home and being Xenophobic on message boards.

Here's hoping PPR and COPR comes through for those of us in waiting in the next few weeks. Believe there's been several PNP draws and even one normal all scores draw.

Would also say the quarantine is unavoidable given the messages and topics being posted on less scrupulous forums and Facebook groups!

​​​​​
Ah, I didn't realise you weren't a PR yet. You see that's my other issue, a lot of Canada's standard bureaucracy is still in full swing despite the other circumstances. If you do get a COPR in the next few weeks (and I hope you do) then no doubt they'll still be holding you to the 1 year from date of medical landing deadline despite both the Canadian government and the UK government currently advising against all non-essential travel between both countries.

I'm not sure if the process has changed but if you're British then you shouldn't need a PPR. I didn't get one because we're visa exempt anyway. They just request photos and then issue you with the COPR through the post.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:03 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I haven't heard anyone here complaining about the border closure, except a northern fishing camp operator on the news. Their season is a write-off, and I think some didn't even open up for Canadian customers. Hunting outfitters will experience the same loss of business in the fall if it goes on that long. My cousins are guides for American hunters at a northern camp in the fall after harvest is done, so this could be costing them a fair bit of money. As for people cracking under the pressure of social restrictions and masks, no sign of Ken or Karen yet (touch wood), but I think we're pretty stoic here. If there's a resurgence of cases, those who are skeptical now may even come around.
No one in NS is complaining of border closure either. The moment that US border opens up I can sh!t hitting the fan. No one in this province wants their seniors at risk from people who just dont seem to want to follow rules as much as they want to follow conspiracy theories and make every single thing political.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:08 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Howefamily
No one in NS is complaining of border closure either. The moment that US border opens up I can sh!t hitting the fan. No one in this province wants their seniors at risk from people who just dont seem to want to follow rules as much as they want to follow conspiracy theories and make every single thing political.
Are many of those people even travelling to Canada in the first place? I would have thought most of them would be amongst the millions of Americans who would never dream of leaving their own country.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think that all depends on who's in your survey pool really.
i haven’t heard anyone complaining bout the border closure...but there again I live in Canada...not the UK.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:10 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Are many of those people even travelling to Canada in the first place? I would have thought most of them would be amongst the millions of Americans who would never dream of leaving their own country.
Many come through that border typically. They have the exchange rate going in their favour too which helps.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

i haven’t heard anyone complaining bout the border closure...but there again I live in Canada...not the UK.

None in Ontario are complaining about the border issue that I've heard either. I think it's those who aren't even in Canada (and want to be here) that are making the most noise.

If some wish to talk about border closures and or political shite, perhaps they could take it somewhere else - getting a little fed up with every Covid 19 related thread becoming a sounding board for rants against Canada's decisions.

Over the past week, an average of 40,665 people were tested daily, with 1% testing positive and an average of 461 (NEW) cases were reported daily from across Canada - so it hasn't gone away yet

Interesting world map of current cases.. https://health-infobase.canada.ca/co...international/

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 3rd 2020 at 4:15 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:22 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by Siouxie

None in Ontario are complaining about the border issue that I've heard either. I think it's those who aren't even in Canada (and want to be here) that are making the most noise.

If some wish to talk about border closures and or political shite, perhaps they could take it somewhere else - getting a little fed up with every Covid 19 related thread becoming a sounding board for rants against Canada's decisions.

Over the past week, an average of 40,665 people were tested daily, with 1% testing positive and an average of 461 (NEW) cases were reported daily from across Canada - so it hasn't gone away yet

Interesting world map of current cases.. https://health-infobase.canada.ca/co...international/
Its always interesting to me how people outside our country seem to view it. Its a process, its there for a reason and its reasonable. I dont understand what the concern is.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:24 pm
Sidecar Falcon

None in Ontario are complaining about the border issue either. I think it's those who aren't even in Canada (and want to be here) that are making the most noise.
Well to be fair, those are the people likely to suffer the worst of it. If your job and life are able to carry on regardless and it's making you feel more comfortable then I'd totally expect you to have no issues with border closure. It's always just going to be a question of personal preference and perspective.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the token odd one out that isn't in Canada, wants to be, but is actually pro border closure??

With regards to figures, Canada seems to be on the slow burn with similar rates to most of Europe right now - personally think that'll be the rate till winter, then it'll pick up a bit more - and we'll be back here with similar rates this time next year, with lower death rates as the most vulnerable will already have been picked off.

Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Well to be fair, those are the people likely to suffer the worst of it. If your job and life are able to carry on regardless and it's making you feel more comfortable then I'd totally expect you to have no issues with border closure. It's always just going to be a question of personal preference and perspective.
Clearly you are not in agreement with most of us who are living in Canada - perhaps you might if you decide to come back.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Am I the token odd one out that isn't in Canada, wants to be, but is actually pro border closure??

With regards to figures, Canada seems to be on the slow burn with similar rates to most of Europe right now - personally think that'll be the rate till winter, then it'll pick up a bit more - and we'll be back here with similar rates this time next year, with lower death rates as the most vulnerable will already have been picked off.
Not at all You seem to be more in agreement with those of us who live in Canada............ there's a couple of you... and that's a good thing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.