Coronavirus

Old Jul 31st 2020, 6:14 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Pulaski
For who knows what reason a friend of Mrs P (not geographically close - Mrs P hasn't met her in over two years) decided with her husband, that a road trip from the east coast to Colorado was a good idea, taking their small child. They are not deniers, so have been taking SD and mask precautions since the spring, and we were a little surprised to hear that they were taking a road trip like that.

Aaanyway, the FB reports of their trip, with all the SD and mask wearing, meeting relatives outside and at a distance, and staying in an Airbnb, which was "remote" (they never met the owner), was that parts of the experience were "scary", notably the toilet stops on the journey. But over all they seemed to have taken all the precautions and things went according to plan.

They got back home, and then the friend discovered that she had caught it!

I guess, looking back, that the road trip doesn't look like it was such a good idea.
Food for thought. But I suppose if she recovers and doesn't transmit it will have been a ok outcome.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 6:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Food for thought. But I suppose if she recovers and doesn't transmit it will have been a ok outcome.
There is an emerging issue from the past couple of days that means that "recovery" might not mean what people think it means.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

There is an emerging issue from the past couple of days that means that "recovery" might not mean what people think it means.
And if that truly is the case, surely the answer has to be to not open up any further, possibly even close back down till a vaccine is found.

Taking it all with a large pinch of salt(not that that's any good for my heart either) as of late, whilst still trying to protect myself the best I can and hopefully look forward to a transatlantic move at some point in the next couple of years.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
And if that truly is the case, surely the answer has to be to not open up any further, possibly even close back down till a vaccine is found.

Taking it all with a large pinch of salt(not that that's any good for my heart either) as of late, whilst still trying to protect myself the best I can and hopefully look forward to a transatlantic move at some point in the next couple of years.
Which then brings to the question can society survive locked down long term? Or what if a vaccine is not found or isn't as effective as we are hoping.

Ferries to Vancouver Island seemed busy this morning according to the news, seems like a lot of people are travelling for the long weekend possibly, you would think people could manage to spend 1 summer without travelling around.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 7:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...., you would think people could manage to spend 1 summer without travelling around.
Not in the UK - there's a whole lot of madness going on!

Surely this is going to lead to a new spike in cases in the South East? ..... The article quotes one woman, pictured, complaining that the locals will suffer because of the crowds, and that "There shouldn't be this many people here .... The traffic is horrendous - I live locally and it was a nightmare to get here." .... The crowds shouldn't be there, but neither should she! It's insanity, utter insanity!!!
Old Jul 31st 2020, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Not in the UK - there's a whole lot of madness going on!

Surely this is going to lead to a new spike in cases in the South East? ..... The article quotes one woman, pictured, complaining that the locals will suffer because of the crowds, and that "There shouldn't be this many people here .... The traffic is horrendous - I live locally and it was a nightmare to get here." .... The crowds shouldn't be there, but neither should she! It's insanity, utter insanity!!!
It's not really any better in Canada, too many people travelling about. My wife's family just went from various places in BC to Tofino because their words not mine "COVID isn't really a big deal, and we take precautions" but then spend a week all hanging out in close quarters, then off to their home city's.

My has a family in Texas who takes 0 precautions and posts multiple times a day about the COVID fraud, and "fake" deaths, I swear this pandemic is bringing the crazy out of people who always seemed normal.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 8:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

T Shirt reads "I'm with Stupid"

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 31st 2020 at 9:05 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 8:38 pm

.... My has a family in Texas who takes 0 precautions and posts multiple times a day about the COVID fraud, and "fake" deaths, ....
You forgot the "empty hospitals".
..... I swear this pandemic is bringing the crazy out of people who always seemed normal.
I can't argue with that - there are some in my wife's family and circle of friends who are as crazy as what you describe.

I can't help but wonder how many people have to die before it is no longer "fake news", no longer "just a little flu bug"? I suppose there must be some who would hold fast to their insane conspiracy theory even if the deaths passed 100million.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 31st 2020 at 9:28 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

I can't argue with that - there are some in my wife's family and circle of friends who are as crazy as what you describe.

I can't help but wonder how many people have to die before it is no longer "fake news", no longer "just a little flu bug"? I suppose there must be some who would hold fast to their insane conspiracy theory even if the deaths passed 100milion.
An example of idiocy that knows no borders. Hey its a pandemic, so lets do an unsanctioned and not legal beach party.

Time will tell if people show up, but likely they will, the 20-30 age group really doesn't feel they need to distance and take precautions, they seem to forget they can carry it home to older more vulnerable friends and family.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...arty-1.5670408

And flu season is only around the corner now, last thing we need is a bad flu season on top of COVID, hopefully more will get flu shots to reduce the spread of flu this winter.

We had groups here questioning the empty hospitals, well gee did you forget about the part of cancelling all non-essential medical procedures to free up bed space, that's why they looked empty, but at the peak of hospitalizations the ICU wasn't empty, but of course you can't just wander into the ICU like you can in other parts of a hospital.

Old Jul 31st 2020, 9:14 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there have been several reports on ongoing health issues post-Covid. Perhaps in a couple of years time, if its impact turns out to be far more consequential than we assume, we will look back on 2020 as a period of absolute recklessness. I hope not, but I don't rule it out.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 9:17 pm
Yo

It's not really any better in Canada, too many people travelling about. My wife's family just went from various places in BC to Tofino because their words not mine "COVID isn't really a big deal, and we take precautions" but then spend a week all hanging out in close quarters, then off to their home city's.

My has a family in Texas who takes 0 precautions and posts multiple times a day about the COVID fraud, and "fake" deaths, I swear this pandemic is bringing the crazy out of people who always seemed normal.
There's been so many mixed messages from governments of all stripes, it's easy to see why some folks get confused or disregard the reality.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 9:24 pm
Yo

I can't help but wonder how many people have to die before it is no longer "fake news", no longer "just a little flu bug"? I suppose there must be some who would hold fast to their insane conspiracy theory even if the deaths passed 100milion.
There would. Look at all the religious nutters in the US and in certain British communities. These are people in absolute denial of reality, so it's not a great leap to deny an invisible virus. Numbers are abstract. In the UK does anyone really apprciate the difference between 400 deaths and 40,000 deaths? Not really. And the way the government talks up the pandemic response you would think that Britain has managed very well, instead of disastrously. I think the reason is that it's a low drama disease. If young people were getting lurid skin conditions and or looking emancipated, perhaps then the visual imagery would spook a few more people. What they see are the elderly in well staffed ICU and assume it's all the normal cycle of life.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 9:27 pm

.... And flu season is only around the corner now, last thing we need is a bad flu season on top of COVID, ....
I have been predicting that myself for several weeks - a moderately severe flu season could multiply the death rate of conronavirus severalfold.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It's a long weekend and I won't be social distancing with my best friend Captain Morgan. People will do whatever they feel is right and do their own risk assessment regardless of what protocols are being enforced. Now granted this doesn't help those that are complying who might need to pop out for 5 minutes just to pick milk or bread up as delivery isn't available.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
It's a long weekend and I won't be social distancing with my best friend Captain Morgan. People will do whatever they feel is right and do their own risk assessment regardless of what protocols are being enforced. Now granted this doesn't help those that are complying who might need to pop out for 5 minutes just to pick milk or bread up as delivery isn't available.
I hate going to stores to shop, but when Wal-Mart for example puts $50 minimum for order online for pick up, forces people into the stores. It's pretty rare we spend $50 at once in a store, we have to buy small amounts generally, same with Instacart, not worth it for small orders, looked into it for a handful of items, totaled $21 to avoid going to the store, but with IC fee, the service fee, and the tip, that was another $14, so to the store we went.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.