Coronavirus

Old Jul 6th 2020, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
well yes...there is that. We are like you...we are staying home...if we do go out we mask up. Problem is the young folk...they think they are invincible and are eager to get on with their lives.
The government isn't giving off messaging that they want everyone to stay home, what with restaurant patios etc open, so i've been doing what I want where it's open. This is where it should come down to everyone's personal comfort level. If you are not comfortable going out / returning to work in the office, etc no one should force you to do so.

Likewise, no one should force me to do something because it makes them more comfortable.

You can turn the "selfish young people" argument around and say that it is selfish for the more vulnerable to ask us to give up some of our youngest, healthiest years (which do go by quickly) to protect them, when they already had the chance to be a 20-something year old. If this goes on for much longer we will miss out on a significant portion of that and we won't get it back.

To turn the argument back to travel, I suppose I can go where I want, and either agree to self isolate upon return, or stay in my destination until the requirement is lifted. (Or go elsewhere.)

The irony of it is, as a self employed person the government would pay me CERB for that 14 day isolation period due to not being able to work due to COVID.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

All it takes is 1 person, at 1 birthday party and boom 20+ infected.
All it takes is 1 person who even knew they had COVID but felt fine to attend 1 gathering, and boom, several more cases and a death.

Both of the above are real world examples.

Kind of hasn't been discussed much about how the virus appears to have mutated to become more infectious and this mutated strain is now the predominant one in the US, may explain in part why its spreading even quicker now. 3-9 times more infectious, and could very well mutate again to cause more serious illness as well, while its mutating to become more infectious, doesn't appear yet to be causing more serious illness.

This mutated strain has been linked to Europe, and now out of control in the US.

Also brings up the issue of, the longer it can spread through society the more chances it has to mutate, and it could very well mutate to become more deadly.

Oh and the part of the virus that mutated to become more infectious, apparently is the part of the virus vaccine programs are targeting with their vaccine, and the vaccine programs are working with the older, less infectious virus, and they do not know if any of the current vaccines in progress will work against the mutated strain.

Old Jul 6th 2020, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
At some point last year there were only a few hundred known cases, all of them in China,
Yes, and China shit the bed on dealing with it, as their government does with everything. Why should I have to be part of cleaning up their mess?
Old Jul 6th 2020, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
All it takes is 1 person, at 1 birthday party and boom 20+ infected.
All it takes is 1 person who even knew they had COVID but felt fine to attend 1 gathering, and boom, several more cases and a death.

Both of the above are real world examples.

Kind of hasn't been discussed much about how the virus appears to have mutated to become more infectious and this mutated strain is now the predominant one in the US, may explain in part why its spreading even quicker now. 3-9 times more infectious, and could very well mutate again to cause more serious illness as well, while its mutating to become more infectious, doesn't appear yet to be causing more serious illness.

This mutated strain has been linked to Europe, and now out of control in the US.

Also brings up the issue of, the longer it can spread through society the more chances it has to mutate, and it could very well mutate to become more deadly.

Oh and the part of the virus that mutated to become more infectious, apparently is the part of the virus vaccine programs are targeting with their vaccine, and the vaccine programs are working with the older, less infectious virus, and they do not know if any of the current vaccines in progress will work against the mutated strain.
I predicted it would start to mutate...normally viruses mutate to become more infectious, but less deadly. You'll notice across Canada hospitalizations and total deaths are decreasing day by day. We need to do an evaluation and find out if it really is as deadly as it was 6 months ago, because we could be dealing with a totally different strain.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Yes, and China shit the bed on dealing with it, as their government does with everything. Why should I have to be part of cleaning up their mess?
Because their mess is now in our house and no choice but to be part of it or the mess will just keep continuing.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
well yes...there is that. We are like you...we are staying home...if we do go out we mask up. Problem is the young folk...they think they are invincible and are eager to get on with their lives.
Doesn't seem many are doing that now....the 401 is almost back up to pre pandemic levels of traffic, so lots of people travelling now.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 5:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The government isn't giving off messaging that they want everyone to stay home, what with restaurant patios etc open, so i've been doing what I want where it's open. This is where it should come down to everyone's personal comfort level. If you are not comfortable going out / returning to work in the office, etc no one should force you to do so.

Likewise, no one should force me to do something because it makes them more comfortable.

You can turn the "selfish young people" argument around and say that it is selfish for the more vulnerable to ask us to give up some of our youngest, healthiest years (which do go by quickly) to protect them, when they already had the chance to be a 20-something year old. If this goes on for much longer we will miss out on a significant portion of that and we won't get it back.

To turn the argument back to travel, I suppose I can go where I want, and either agree to self isolate upon return, or stay in my destination until the requirement is lifted. (Or go elsewhere.)

The irony of it is, as a self employed person the government would pay me CERB for that 14 day isolation period due to not being able to work due to COVID.

I rest my case.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 5:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem.

For every crisis, catastrophe, war, and any other flavour of calamity in history that has afficlted mankind, we could argue "if only this had happened, then people wouldn't have had to deal with that", and those are great conversatinos to have (my high schol history teacher called them "the if's of history"), but any and all such discussions are utterly pointless when it comes to addressing and solving the problem. Therefore the source cause of the disease is wholly and entirely irrelevant as of now, where we have to deal with the disease and it's consequences. Blaming the Chinese won't stop one single infection, cure one single person, or save anyone from dying from the disease!
Old Jul 6th 2020, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

Everything is more or less back to normal in Vancouver area, everything that is still in business is back open, there were some closures which is to be expected, the grocery stores are packed, and number using IC and store pick up is down, while some things are still banned in BC like large gatherings over 50 people, movie theaters are allowed to open back up with some rules to follow, although the government of BC would still prefer people from other provinces to not travel to BC, and have taken some steps like not allowing non-BC residents to camp in provincial parks to discourage out of province travel.

Traffic actually on some days seems worse, but I notice less people on buses so I wonder if more people have taken to driving, gas prices are back up, really except for the masks, and signs to social distance, you wouldn't think there was a pandemic at this point.

While the grocery stores do their please maintain 6 foot distance announcements, reality is, its impossible to maintain 6 feet distance in any big box store, there are too many people, aisles too narrow and 90% of the people don't care to social distance.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 6th 2020 at 5:12 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I predicted it would start to mutate...normally viruses mutate to become more infectious, but less deadly. You'll notice across Canada hospitalizations and total deaths are decreasing day by day. We need to do an evaluation and find out if it really is as deadly as it was 6 months ago, because we could be dealing with a totally different strain.
I agree to extent with this, as I have heard this report too, that in some areas that the virus has mutated and became a lot less potent/deadly, if that is the case, thats all that matters, it doesn't matter if its more infectious in that case if its nothing more than a bad cold... we just need to know if that is consistent mutation everywhere.

But you are right, we could well be dealing with something very different than we were at the start of all this.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Jul 6th 2020 at 5:14 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 5:15 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

SIGH. You've been asked to give up a few weeks or months at most......... BIG DEAL........... are "young people" that self centred that they can't be inconvenienced for one spring and part of a summer ?

There are many YOUNG people becoming ill or carrying the virus and passing it on to others (who may have 'vulnerable relatives' - like me), because they aren't using their common sense - they are so fixated on having 'a good time' they don't want to be sensible and social distance.

They would only pay you CERB under very specific circumstances - taking off abroad for a jolly isn't one of them... that's called 'voluntary' reduced income. Nobody forces you to go overseas and stop working.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 6th 2020 at 5:23 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 5:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I agree to extent with this, as I have heard this report too, that in some areas that the virus has mutated and became a lot less potent/deadly, is all that matters, doesn't matter if its more infectious in that case... we just need to know of that is consistent mutation everywhere. ......
It has also been suggested the virus now circulating in the Americas is more infectious too. Whether it is less deadly too may come clear in 4-6 weeks, as fatalities lag infections.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting a real sense of entitlement vibe from your post. We need to be all in this together and your talk of travel for what I sense is for the sake of travel doesn't help things.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 5:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
SIGH. You've been asked to give up a few weeks or months at most......... BIG DEAL........... are "young people" that self centred that they can't be inconvenienced for one spring and part of a summer ?
There are many YOUNG people becoming ill or carrying the virus and passing it on to others (who may have 'vulnerable relatives' - like me), because they aren't using their common sense - they are so fixated on having 'a good time' they don't want to be sensible and social distance.

he is writing off the elderly because they are an inconvenience and he wants to get on with his life, having no regard for others. He fails to realise that it is the elderly that fought wars, worked hard to add to the economy, to give the young the life they have today. Sorry Gozit but you are giving the young a bad name, I am sure they aren’t all as selfish as your posts indicate.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 5:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

At some point we have to go back to living our lives and leave it to personal choice whether people accept the risk of being infected or give them the supports and choice to stay isolated if that is what they feel is best for them.
I take it you won't mind if I smoke on the plane then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.