Coronavirus

Old May 22nd 2020, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Just reading that there were nine scenarios for school reopening examined by experts, with two in particular attracting support.
The current plan was apparently not among the nine looked at.

Is this an example of that recruitment policy of hiring “weirdos and misfits with odd skills” for jobs at Number 10?
Here's an alternate view from the BBC's site: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52770355
Old May 22nd 2020, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Obviously as my post implies I am in full agreement with lockdown. But there will always be outrage no matter what route is taken.

The problem the UK had was that it changed tactics, it was going to go with herd immunity then changed to lock down.... the damage was already done then. However as you say, its hard to compare the UK to the likes of New Zealand, the population if the UK is over 16 times that of New Zealand and Im estimating the NZ has a bigger geographical area. The UK should have locked down way earlier than it did....
Clearly, the government of Nunavut did the best. Governments from all of the world should have copied what they did.
Old May 22nd 2020, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's the Manchester Guardian so it seems a stretch to suggest that everyone in London would follow Arwa's blitherings to the letter.
No idea what you mean there.
Old May 22nd 2020, 4:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
No idea what you mean there.
If the entire population of a city were to slavishly follow the suggestions made in a newspaper one might expect that to be the population of the city on the masthead; it's unlikely, for example, that the population of NYC would dedicatedly follow the writings in the Los Angeles Times. Therefore, if one seeks Graun compliance, one should look to the north of England, not to the capital.

Arwa Mahdawi is a half-Palestinian lesbian who has a column in the Grauniad; she's a perennial favourite in the "most stupid Graun article evah" discussions.
Old May 22nd 2020, 4:47 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
How can it possibly be safe to have a haircut? The barber's disease leaking bits are a couple of inches from your face and have been right next to the face of very many other people. You may as well take a turn with Stormy Daniels.
Like it or not, wearing PPE is the new normal.

Old May 22nd 2020, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I will cut my haircuts down to the bare minimum, I'll let it grow out a fair bit before it annoys me. I got my last one in February, so can get to September most likely, but I may just get some clippers and shave it off as hair cuts are an expense that can save money to put towards better use.

The restaurant below us has reopened, nobody seems to be going, their dining room is tiny and I can't imagine they can actually succeed with these new restrictions, why they didn't spend the last 2 months setting up their website for take out, I do not know. They did add uber eats but eh not everyone wants delivery, or to use a 3rd party app.

People also don't seem to be rushing back to work/transit etc, so even though places are opening, people seem to be choosing not to rush out and act like things are normal.

There was a post on reddit, someone took a selfie at 5:30pm on sky train and it was empty except for the one person who took their selfie, normal times at 5:30pm the train would be wall to wall people.
Old May 22nd 2020, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
I agree with a lot of that. But there are some strange things afoot in the UK. How, for example, does one read the daily whingeing in the Guardian, and the BTL comments, and reconcile that with pictures of London, for example, (which I am informed is a Guardian type "progressive" city) and crowds of people doing what they have always done. The government may have messed up by changing tactics, but the great British public need to bear some responsibility for their behaviour.

The other thing to note is that we are not even at half time in this things... who knows, when it is all over, what the NZ or UK position will be?

We have a long way to go yet, including a second wave, which is inevitable, added to this the general complacency of the public, so things could change rapidly.....
I do feel most of the public in any country are pretty clueless, I am not saying I have all the answers, but some of the things I have seen the public do since all this kicked off just makes me shake my head, the toilet paper mystery s an obvious one that immediately springs to mind.

This is why I agree with lockdown, most of the public cannot police themselves so they need to be told, hard to believe but true as the toilet paper factor will reinforce!

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Clearly, the government of Nunavut did the best. Governments from all of the world should have copied what they did.
Thats it!! Nunavut have the answer to infection!!
Old May 22nd 2020, 7:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Here's an alternate view from the BBC's site: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52770355
Both reports contain the same information so it doesn't seem especially 'alternate' other than failing to highlight the plan adopted wasn't one of those studied.
Old May 22nd 2020, 7:20 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I will cut my haircuts down to the bare minimum, I'll let it grow out a fair bit before it annoys me. I got my last one in February, so can get to September most likely, but I may just get some clippers and shave it off as hair cuts are an expense that can save money to put towards better use.
I can recommend it. For the first time ever I asked that the clippers set to #2 and had it taken off all over. Very comfortable, easy to wash, but have to wear a hat in the sun.
No more expensive haircuts for me.
Old May 22nd 2020, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I can recommend it. For the first time ever I asked that the clippers set to #2 and had it taken off all over. Very comfortable, easy to wash, but have to wear a hat in the sun.
I don't get styles, and basically just cut it whatever way the barber feels like, but at this point, eh, shave with the right blade side and easy. I've done it before, and now with more hair loss and it getting thinner, looks better short as well.

My dad hasn't been to a barber in probably 20 years now, he started shaving his hair short around 40 ish.

I'd probably keep my hair in shorter nicer look doing it myself, saves at minimum $100-$150 a year, and it certainly doesn't cost that much to maintain clippers.
Old May 22nd 2020, 8:12 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I don't get styles, and basically just cut it whatever way the barber feels like, but at this point, eh, shave with the right blade side and easy. I've done it before, and now with more hair loss and it getting thinner, looks better short as well.

My dad hasn't been to a barber in probably 20 years now, he started shaving his hair short around 40 ish.

I'd probably keep my hair in shorter nicer look doing it myself, saves at minimum $100-$150 a year, and it certainly doesn't cost that much to maintain clippers.
I have little hair, so shave my own. Maybe go thru a shaver ever 3-4 years
Old May 22nd 2020, 9:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be down to 1 and then zero in no time.
Old May 25th 2020, 1:53 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I am a bit confused about this term asymptomatic? I have looked it up and am no clearer...does this mean that if I live in Ontario and feel fine I could be theoretically ill and infecting vast numbers Would I have no inkling? This, if the case, is horrific.
Old May 25th 2020, 3:13 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I am a bit confused about this term asymptomatic? I have looked it up and am no clearer...does this mean that if I live in Ontario and feel fine I could be theoretically ill and infecting vast numbers Would I have no inkling? This, if the case, is horrific.
Correct. Typhoid Millie.
Old May 25th 2020, 11:51 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Those of us folically challenged have the advantage. I've had a number two on the bits of my head that have hair for years. I did used to go to a local hairdresser every three weeks and she'd cut it for a tenner but since the lockdown the Mrs has done it with a set of clippers. I view colleagues on Webex meetings wailing and gnashing their teeth about the length their hair - the blokes generally, not the ladies - and feel a little smug!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.