Coronavirus

Old Apr 30th 2020, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by dbd33
I lasted eight minutes. Hitchens argued that people will get bored and go out so the lock down should be lifted before they do. I think he's wrong but, even if he's right, it's a prediction, not a plan, and he's not an immunologist so, ok, he thinks that but it has no more weight than what my dog thinks about it all.

At least the lockdown is good for the climate; no one's going out and drilling for gas or oil.
It's a series of discussions where they debate the merits of those jurisdictions that have imposed lockdowns versus those that haven't. In essence, there is little difference in mortality outcomes..

It appears to me that, if one isn't living in a nursing home, one has little to fear from this disease so why are we destroying people's financial lives?

I can't disagree with you comments regarding the environment and we can leave rhe debate as to how.we assist those in abusive relationships that are in lockdown to another time.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It appears to me that, if one isn't living in a nursing home, one has little to fear from this disease so why are we destroying people's financial lives?
What nursing homes do show is that if you have a group of people in close proximity then the virus spreads rapidly. Of course in nursing homes the outcomes are not going to be as good as the general population (underlying conditions etc..) but the general point still stands. Most of us have no immunity from this virus and we will get infected if exposed and it is spread very easily. Just look at patient 31 in South Korea or the office floor where on one side of the floor, pretty much every employee was infected https://www.businessinsider.com/sout...g-chart-2020-4

A couple of my otherwise healthy friends got it and they were extremely ill for 2-3 weeks but have since recovered. But there are unanswered questions around the long term effect of being infected, considering how much it affects the lungs and can affect the kidneys/liver.

In BC anyway, I think the measures being taken are prudent and have been effective.

Old Apr 30th 2020, 11:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

so why are we destroying people's financial lives?
Due to a shared belief life is more important than money, even if it is someone else's life. It's a demonstration that there is such a thing as society.

(and yes, I see the warning coming)
Old May 1st 2020, 12:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Meat packing plants are full of cold, moist, circulating air, so are the perfect vector for transmitting the virus.
Yes good point.
Old May 1st 2020, 1:24 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Should we rely upon the WHO who said there was no need to stop international travel
This came up on another thread. It was quite a bit more than no need to stop international travel.

Widespread travel bans not needed. A quote - no need for measures that “unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade

Not the same thing at all.
Old May 1st 2020, 6:12 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

JS, I thought you might find this story interesting

When the garden eels at a Tokyo aquarium remove their heads from the sand, they are usually confronted by pairs of human eyes staring back at them through the glass.

But like other animals around the world, the eels at Sumida Aquarium are finding their environment transformed by the effects of the coronavirus outbreak.

They also appear to be forgetting what humans look like. Concerned that the garden eels – so named because their grass-like appearance when, en masse, they poke their heads out of the seabed – could come to see visitors as a threat, the aquarium is asking people to get in touch in the form of a calming video call.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...g-humans-exist
Old May 1st 2020, 11:44 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I lasted eight minutes. Hitchens argued that people will get bored and go out so the lock down should be lifted before they do. I think he's wrong but, even if he's right, it's a prediction, not a plan, and he's not an immunologist so, ok, he thinks that but it has no more weight than what my dog thinks about it all.

At least the lockdown is good for the climate; no one's going out and drilling for gas or oil.
Eight minutes, are you masochist ? He's one of the most moronic commentators on this whole episode.
Old May 1st 2020, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Due to a shared belief life is more important than money, even if it is someone else's life. It's a demonstration that there is such a thing as society.
I would agree with this, each of those people means something to someone, you could look at it from a collateral damage point of view, to save the economy, but I think people would view it differently if they were personally affected, plus an economy can eventually recover, unlike human life, that will always be the priority.

Which such expert has produced any science that has supported everyone being in lockdown?

Should we rely upon the WHO who said there was no need to stop international travel, Dr Tam who said the same thing and said that those that were asymptomatic could not be contagious? Have any of the models be shown to be even remotely accurate?

Can you disagree with the comments made here:

https://youtu.be/Id5L4uD51XI
If countries didn’t have the lock down , I do think we would be looking at more deaths, it stands to reason, but its speculative on how many lives a lockdown has saved, but its also speculative on how many it wouldn’t, we will never know.

However I think figures speak for themselves…..the jury is still out on how Sweden from an over all perspective at the moment, but there is a marked difference between them and their Scandinavian neighbours such as Norway and Denmark who followed the rest of the world into lockdown.

Norway population 6 million , 210 deaths
Denmark population 6 million 452 deaths
Sweden population 10million 2586 deaths

As we have said before every country is a different case, there are so many variables per country but if we use the above as a basis, I don’t think for example the UK had any choice but to take the action it has, given its dense population.

Old May 1st 2020, 2:36 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

(and yes, I see the warning coming)
Half of us are working from a couch and luxuriating in the myth of shared sacrifice. The other half are getting their livelihoods crushed.
Old May 1st 2020, 2:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Half of us are working from a couch and luxuriating in the myth of shared sacrifice. The other half are getting their livelihoods crushed.
I don't know that there's any myth of shared sacrifice. I know that I have more work now than ever because people are being laid off. I know that meat packers will die so I have dinner on the table. I'm just glad not to be a meat packer or divorce lawyer.
Old May 1st 2020, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know that there's any myth of shared sacrifice. I know that I have more work now than ever because people are being laid off. I know that meat packers will die so I have dinner on the table. I'm just glad not to be a meat packer or divorce lawyer.
The Courts are closed so lots of parents are misbehaving but I haven't noticed a massive loss of work just yet. Bear in mind, most families don't spend lots of time together normally, (they profess to but most work and have kids that attend school) so what I am experiencing is that being locked in with a partner and kids is exposing the faults in some relationships such that I have had to stop post pounding on a number of occasions to take calls from prospective new clients.
Old May 1st 2020, 7:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The Courts are closed so lots of parents are misbehaving but I haven't noticed a massive loss of work just yet. Bear in mind, most families don't spend lots of time together normally, (they profess to but most work and have kids that attend school) so what I am experiencing is that being locked in with a partner and kids is exposing the faults in some relationships such that I have had to stop post pounding on a number of occasions to take calls from prospective new clients.
I can't say I'm surprised, family holidays are often a strain so I would expect actually living with one's family would be very difficult indeed.
Old May 1st 2020, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
JS, I thought you might find this story interesting

When the garden eels at a Tokyo aquarium remove their heads from the sand, they are usually confronted by pairs of human eyes staring back at them through the glass.

But like other animals around the world, the eels at Sumida Aquarium are finding their environment transformed by the effects of the coronavirus outbreak.

They also appear to be forgetting what humans look like. Concerned that the garden eels – so named because their grass-like appearance when, en masse, they poke their heads out of the seabed – could come to see visitors as a threat, the aquarium is asking people to get in touch in the form of a calming video call.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...g-humans-exist

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

Fish do get accustomed to their tanks and what they see through the glass, and they will react to changes they see through the glass.

Old May 1st 2020, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

Humans need personal space, we normally get it by working, school, doing things giving a break from family we live with, its hard spending 24/7 with the same person day after day, the smaller the space the harder it is.

Old May 1st 2020, 11:19 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Humans need personal space, we normally get it by working, school, doing things giving a break from family we live with, its hard spending 24/7 with the same person day after day, the smaller the space the harder it is.
This COVID experience has certainly made me realize that I do not want to go to prison...EVER.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.