Coronavirus

Old Mar 25th 2020, 2:37 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Sorry..I started that post then my phone rang Danny.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 3:07 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I see Prince Charles has now tested positive for C19. What a wonderful positive thing this would be if he comes through this unscathed- yes I know he is going to get better treatment than Joe Blow in Hackney, but it would just be a very positive note for older people who are feeling a bit targeted by this thing.

I also hope he’s OK as he didn’t get to vote to be him, and didn’t have much choice in the matter, he hasn’t spent his life down a mine but I can’t for one moment imagine it’s been especially pleasurable...I really vote that he dies in bed germ free when it’s his ‘proper’ time.
They said he is working from home. Does that mean he’s waving out of the windows
Old Mar 25th 2020, 3:23 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, it's reported he's only got mild symptoms... so why/how did he manage to get tested when front-line medics aren't able to get tested? Secondly, why did he leave London and travel to Aberdeenshire AFTER feeling ill? That's completely contrary to the instructions issued by HM Government.

One rule for them, one for the rest of us. Absolutely disgraceful abuse of position.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 3:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Firstly, it's reported he's only got mild symptoms... so why/how did he manage to get tested when front-line medics aren't able to get tested? Secondly, why did he leave London and travel to Aberdeenshire AFTER feeling ill? That's completely contrary to the instructions issued by HM Government.

One rule for them, one for the rest of us. Absolutely disgraceful abuse of position.
I bet most of the RF have been tested...even the minor royals...and keep being tested. Same as celebs and sports players...many have been tested with mild symptoms. Everyone else has to wait until they are nearly at death’s door.

Love the avi BTW
Old Mar 25th 2020, 4:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
We get some GST credit at the moment yes, and I have no idea what the May payment will be
I saw something that said the maximum credit would be doubled. That suggests that whatever you get in April (which is a quarter of the annual amount) would be multiplied by four for the May payment. ...ish.

our income in 2019 was substantially lower vs 2018 so GST amount should go up, I think.
Don't bank on that. The year I sold the duplex my income was down (less rent as an income) from the previous year. My GST credit went down subsequently.
It makes a certain sense in that a lower income is likely to result in a lower expenditure on items attracting GST, so why should you get more back when you spent less...if you see what I mean.

Conversely - or should that be perversely? - my OAS went up.

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
...why did (Prince Charles) leave London and travel to Aberdeenshire AFTER feeling ill? That's completely contrary to the instructions issued by HM Government.
At least he didn't get his dad to drive him.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
God damn, Prince Charles has been tested positive for the virus now. Hope he stayed the hell away from his parents.
Yes I hope so too.....Charles is at a vunerable age, but the Queen very vunerable, very concerning.

Originally Posted by MillieF
I see Prince Charles has now tested positive for C19. What a wonderful positive thing this would be if he comes through this unscathed- yes I know he is going to get better treatment than Joe Blow in Hackney, but it would just be a very positive note for older people who are feeling a bit targeted by this thing.

I also hope he’s OK as he didn’t get to vote to be him, and didn’t have much choice in the matter, he hasn’t spent his life down a mine but I can’t for one moment imagine it’s been especially pleasurable...I really vote that he dies in bed germ free when it’s his ‘proper’ time.
I agree Millie, I think it would help alleviate a lot of the anxiety older people have about this virus. It also goes to show that no one is exempt, this is a reminder of how infectious it is, I am sure all precautions were been put in place to protect the heir to the throne, and still he contracted it. As Danny said I hope he stayed away from his mother, which I am pretty sure he has done as contact with each other would be a direct threat to the existence of the British throne. However the rules of protocol surrounding this virus have changed so rapidly....what was ok two weeks ago is unthinkable now.

Hopefully as you say a positive outcome and this will give encouragement and hope to the older generation.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I saw something that said the maximum credit would be doubled. That suggests that whatever you get in April (which is a quarter of the annual amount) would be multiplied by four for the May payment. ...ish.

Don't bank on that. The year I sold the duplex my income was down (less rent as an income) from the previous year. My GST credit went down subsequently.
It makes a certain sense in that a lower income is likely to result in a lower expenditure on items attracting GST, so why should you get more back when you spent less...if you see what I mean.

Conversely - or should that be perversely? - my OAS went up.

At least he didn't get his dad to drive him.

You got me curious and what I have been calling GST payment isn't actually a GST payment, its BC climate action tax credit we are getting, its also handled by CRA so I just assumed it was GST. Looks like from October 2019 to present we have not gotten actual GST payment, the last one issued in July 2019.

Our only viable option going forward is to reduce costs significantly or increase income, since increasing income at the moment will be difficult reducing costs is about the only option, only way to reduce cost significantly is to find a way to move and reduce rent. Can't survive paying everything towards rent and having nothing left, but because we didn't lose a job due to this technically since I never officially started the job, doesn't appear any of the programs being announced will apply to us from what I can tell, so seems an emergency move in May if possible somewhere cheaper, go to the first place that approves us that is cheaper type deal might be the only viable option at this point.

I don't see employment happening in the near future. Just really bad timing on the new job, perfect storm of sorts.

Mandatory 14 quarantine effective midnight for any traveler entering Canada.

Hospital system us running at 68% of its capacity, they were able to free up some 3,800 beds for COVID by cancelling non-urgent elective surgeries. Hospital system typical runs at 103%.

BC officials say it's okay to go outside with same members of your household for air, and exercise but to stay away from other people.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...h-25-1.5509090

I think some of the local forums must have a lot of landlords posting, so much support for landlords by so many posters. News flash having mass eviction of renters wont help the situation.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 25th 2020 at 7:11 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 5:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

When the Queen was whisked away, it was revealed that a member of her household (Buck House) had tested positive for the virus. AFAIK that was the reason she vacated.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Another video, this time from Pindex, a project similar to Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell but with the voice talents of Stephen Fry:
Old Mar 25th 2020, 7:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You got me curious and what I have been calling GST payment isn't actually a GST payment, its BC climate action tax credit we are getting, its also handled by CRA so I just assumed it was GST. Looks like from October 2019 to present we have not gotten actual GST payment, the last one issued in July 2019.
That's a bit odd. If it's paid quarterly and the first payment revised according to the previous year's income is July, then I'd expect July to be the first payment at the new rate. If income for 2019 was too high to get the payment then I'd expect there to be no July payment.

I would think it more likely that October and then January payments were GST as well as the other credit.

Because NB upped the HST a few years ago, as well as the usual GST credit, NB gives an extra credit. Both credits are processed by CRA but you wouldn't know that from the deposit details on my bank statement. It is shown separately on my CRA account. Perhaps your CRA account might show GST separately to the carbon one?

Old Mar 25th 2020, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's a bit odd. If it's paid quarterly and the first payment revised according to the previous year's income is July, then I'd expect July to be the first payment at the new rate. If income for 2019 was too high to get the payment then I'd expect there to be no July payment.

I would think it more likely that October and then January payments were GST as well as the other credit.

Because NB upped the HST a few years ago, as well as the usual GST credit, NB gives an extra credit. Both credits are processed by CRA but you wouldn't know that from the deposit details on my bank statement. It is shown separately on my CRA account. Perhaps your CRA account might show GST separately to the carbon one?
Looking at previous deposits during the time both GST and climate action credit were both being deposited, its just 1 deposit combining them both and the only description on the bank is EFT deposit gov't of Canada.

CRA statement breaks it down, GST shows nothing has been paid since the last one posted above and all the deposit amounts are exactly what the BC climate credit is so there is no GST credit being deposited. I dunno how they compute it. Not like we are rolling in the cash, best year of the last decade was only 39,000 and some change total household income from all sources.

Looks like BC will place a hold on evictions and may provide up to $500 to assist people in paying rent.

Waiting for details to be reported.

Doesn't sound like people on disability who lost their supplemental income from employment will be getting much if any additional help and without supplemental employment income a lot of people on disability wont have sufficient funds to cover their rent and other expenses, going forward life is going to be very stressful, not sure how we will make end to be honest.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 25th 2020 at 8:37 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

BC temporarily suspends most evictions during the duration of the crises. Court ordered evictions are exempt as they are not within power of government, and in extreme cases evictions can still occur.
No rent increases allowed.
Some renters may be eligible for up to $500 supplement that will be available through BC Housing, although I have seen the specifics yet.
Landlords can now restrict access to common areas within a building such as laundry rooms or fitness facilities.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...help-1.5509636
Old Mar 25th 2020, 9:14 pm
Oscar nominated

The new screening process for entry (or not) to NB Liquor stores.

Old Mar 25th 2020, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

Wonder how many alcoholics would just say no even if sick to get their booze.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 9:26 pm
Oscar nominated

...there is no GST credit being deposited. I dunno how they compute it. Not like we are rolling in the cash, best year of the last decade was only 39,000 and some change total household income from all sources.
Using the Benefits calculator I just input a married couple with $39000 in 2018 in BC and this is the answer

Using 2019, the figures are $876.32. Quarterly = $141.83/$77.25

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.