Corona / Vax UK

Old Jan 15th 2021, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Corona / Vax UK

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
This is something I have thought about, but dismissed it because of needing too much time off work, however as you say, it could be possible to work from the UK.... following the recent increased restrictions I have been now forced the work at home, so if I can do that here (albeit it a challenge) I am sure I could manage to do that for a 3-4 weeks in the UK, it would actually be nice to spend an extended period of time there, as its always been such a whrilwind when I have visited before, and I am exhausted after coming back home, and dont feel I have spent quality time with anyone there. Food for thought, got to be some advantage from this working at home thing.

Plus from what I am seeing and reading the general population (me) will be pushing towards the end of he year before getting the vaccine.
A work colleague of mine has a brother in Bristol area who usually visits his mother in Ottawa area every year (canadian working in the UK for a local council of some sort). He came sometime in December, stayed with his sister for 2 weeks all isolated etc, then visited his mother for 2 weeks and I think is now going back to the UK and has to isolate for 2 weeks before he can go back to work (can't be done from home). To me, this seems like a lot of risk when long video calls could have been a lot easier and without the time off work issues etc. His mother was all for the video calls but I think he felt guilty about not visiting her in person.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Outrage as people in Coventry offered Covid jab over 100 miles away

So what's gone wrong, someone mixed up Manchester and Birmingham?
The local authorities wanted to have the people getting the vaccine the opportunity to visit paradise...

https://goo.gl/maps/CLh49Mp4dBecL92V7
Old Jan 15th 2021, 2:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
A work colleague of mine has a brother in Bristol area who usually visits his mother in Ottawa area every year (canadian working in the UK for a local council of some sort). He came sometime in December, stayed with his sister for 2 weeks all isolated etc, then visited his mother for 2 weeks and I think is now going back to the UK and has to isolate for 2 weeks before he can go back to work (can't be done from home). To me, this seems like a lot of risk when long video calls could have been a lot easier and without the time off work issues etc. His mother was all for the video calls but I think he felt guilty about not visiting her in person.
I've not heard too much about Ottawa in covid but parts of Bristol have been bad. He may have reduced his risk.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I can understand that though... especially if its his mother, video calls are ok as a stop gap, but its nothing like spending time with them in person. I video call my sister in the UK fairly regulary, but you can never have the conversations you can face to face, the whole conversation is a different, it doesnt have the same depth for a start, its more surface based, in my experience anyway. I guess thats why some feel its worth the risk....especially if time is of the essence (say eldderly parents, that may no longer be with us a year from now)

Its really good though how video calls have improved so much now, compared to what they were even 5 years ago.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 2:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Latest stats - 300k vaccinated in the past 24 hours.

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Its really good though how video calls have improved so much now, compared to what they were even 5 years ago.
It really is. We now call video call our parents just as we're doing 'normal' stuff so that they feel involved in our lives. I've been known to spend an hour chatting to Mum whilst we both cook dinner for instance, and my parents watched us all open our presents on Xmas morning (and vice versa) over a glass of bubbly. We quickly learned that arranging a time and sitting stilted in front of a screen didn't work for us, it was always a bit awkward and 'what shall we talk about next', whereas if we're just doing stuff it's much more like they're in the same room. My best friend mucked the horses out with me an hour ago, whilst she cleaned her living room.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 15th 2021 at 3:04 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Latest stats - well over 300k vaccinated in the past 24 hours.
I hope you (& the figures) are right, however I am suspicious of the sudden improvement in the data collection, particularly as only last night there was another issue with the deaths data.

Old Jan 15th 2021, 5:20 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Shit just got real in the UK

The UK is to close all travel corridors from Monday to "protect against the risk of as yet unidentified new strains" of Covid, the PM has said.

Anyone flying into the country from overseas will have to show proof of a negative Covid test before setting off.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Latest stats - 300k vaccinated in the past 24 hours.

It really is. We now call video call our parents just as we're doing 'normal' stuff so that they feel involved in our lives. I've been known to spend an hour chatting to Mum whilst we both cook dinner for instance, and my parents watched us all open our presents on Xmas morning (and vice versa) over a glass of bubbly. We quickly learned that arranging a time and sitting stilted in front of a screen didn't work for us, it was always a bit awkward and 'what shall we talk about next', whereas if we're just doing stuff it's much more like they're in the same room. My best friend mucked the horses out with me an hour ago, whilst she cleaned her living room.
Yes I guess a lot of it is how you use it, maybe if you could do Go-Pro styley with it strapped to your chest.. I had a "pub session" with some friends in the UK just before Christmas, that was quite good fun, although it did turn into a bit of a sh!t show as eveyone got rowdy and was trying to talk at once! lol Its certainly no replacement for joining the lads in the pub, but better than what we had before which was email for group chats. Maybe sometime in the future we will have holograms or Virtual Reality communication!
Old Jan 15th 2021, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

my parents watched us all open our presents on Xmas morning (and vice versa) over a glass of bubbly.
My son wanted to watch the dog opening his presents
Old Jan 16th 2021, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada specific article but may also apply to other countries delaying the Pfizer and Moderna 2nd doses, the manufacturers have expressed concern that many Canadian provinces are not following the manufacturers schedule, and this may impact future deliveries. The delay of the 2nd dose was approved by the vaccine advisory people in government, but the manufactures don't seem pleased with countries delaying the 2nd dose.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/vacc...nand-1.5269040
Old Jan 16th 2021, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

For some elderly, might be best if they don't receive the vaccine especially if they are in poor health already.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...der-rise-to-29
Old Jan 16th 2021, 5:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I believe vaccinations in the UK are set up through your GP. Therefore travelling back to get the vaccine if you don’t have a GP could be a problem.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 1:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I believe vaccinations in the UK are set up through your GP. Therefore travelling back to get the vaccine if you don’t have a GP could be a problem.
+1. Plus surely if you're residing abroad you're not eligible anyway, same as any other non-emergency NHS care?
Old Jan 17th 2021, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would have thought vaccination was not dependent on status, not normal for communicable diseases to be looked on that way.

Travelling would be OK
  • seek medical assistance or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm (including domestic abuse)
Old Jan 17th 2021, 1:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Boiler
I would have thought vaccination was not dependent on status, not normal for communicable diseases to be looked on that way.
Vaccine's wouldn't normally come under emergency care though. Just had a Google and seems the Department of Health have already clarified it -

“Britons living overseas should obtain the vaccine in their country of residence.They cannot arrange a vaccine in the UK from overseas.”

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.