Corona / Vax UK

Old Jan 13th 2021, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Corona / Vax UK

I would largely believe that the UK would be more capable of vaccinating more people in a shorter time than Canada. It's not the geographic size or the bigger population, but the fact that the NHS is more centralized. Centralized organizations tend to respond better to extreme situations.

Setting quarantine regulations aside, I don't know whether a Brit residing in Canada would find it interesting flying back to the UK just to get the jab. Spending 3 to 4 weeks in the UK, possibly working from home, and leaving after the 2nd shot, or 2 weeks thereafter for full immunization to take effect.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 11:43 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I would largely believe that the UK would be more capable of vaccinating more people in a shorter time than Canada. It's not the geographic size or the bigger population, but the fact that the NHS is more centralized. Centralized organizations tend to respond better to extreme situations.

Setting quarantine regulations aside, I don't know whether a Brit residing in Canada would find it interesting flying back to the UK just to get the jab. Spending 3 to 4 weeks in the UK, possibly working from home, and leaving after the 2nd shot, or 2 weeks thereafter for full immunization to take effect.
Possibly, but I imagine the provincial health authorities are fairly organized too. It might be more a matter of supply.

The risks of travel (and restrictions) seem to outweigh the benefits of getting the jab a month or two earlier.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Possibly, but I imagine the provincial health authorities are fairly organized too. It might be more a matter of supply.

The risks of travel (and restrictions) seem to outweigh the benefits of getting the jab a month or two earlier.
Plus, as discussed above, you might have to wait quite a while for the second shot.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 12:29 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think that depends where from and to.

We're having big increases (relatively) thanks to Christmas/NY gatherings. Whereas the province was getting daily new cases of between zero and 4 or 5 - with the odd outbreak in a care home that might take it to 7 or 8, we've seen between 10 and 30 since the beginning of the new year, but mostly around 20.

We've moved into a different tier - still quite relaxed, but back to single household bubble - so I expect the figures to fall back.

In our province of 780k we've had (only) 836 cases (593 'recovered') and 12 deaths (3 in the last 2 days).

I think I'm probably safer staying put with no vax than travelling to the UK
Old Jan 14th 2021, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Despite the selfishness of the Whitby couple who reportedly lied more than once about a UK contact who passed on the more contagious variant of the virus, I cannot imagine being the person who would contemplate doing this. But apparently plenty of people (not all of them politicians) are still willing to travel, so no doubt someone will.

Last edited by Teaandtoday5; Jan 14th 2021 at 12:39 am.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 12:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just heard from a friend that friend of theirs have it, all the family. Instead of the odd person seems like the numbers of people I know directly or indirectly who have it or had it is increasing exponentially.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 12:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Despite the selfishness of the Whitby couple who reportedly lied more than once about a UK contact who passed on the more contagious variant of the virus, I cannot imagine being the person who would contemplate doing this. But apparently plenty of people (not all of them politicians) are still willing to travel, so no doubt someone will.
Friend of mine currently on a plane to NY, only 50 on it.

I am not that far from of the big ski resorts, told that they are back to being pretty busy and many most fly in.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 9:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Today's cases down, deaths at record high of 1564.
To date, deaths to cases average out at about 2.65 %. So, for every 10,000 cases expect 265 deaths, a fortnight or so later.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 10:27 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Outrage as people in Coventry offered Covid jab over 100 miles away
Residents aged over 80 received letters over the weekend saying they could travel to Manchester to get the jab, despite government policy that patients should not have to drive more than 45 minutes to a centre.

A spokesperson for NHS England and NHS Improvement in the Midlands said: “Patients in this area have a choice about where to be vaccinated; they can opt to attend one of their local vaccination centres or attend Birmingham’s Millennium Point.
So what's gone wrong, someone mixed up Manchester and Birmingham?
Old Jan 15th 2021, 8:48 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
To date, deaths to cases average out at about 2.65 %. So, for every 10,000 cases expect 265 deaths, a fortnight or so later.
That's high. I calculated it a few weeks ago at 1.25%.

I see that Germany's deaths have shot up after a very good level of control over the summer. Is that due to the new variant?
Old Jan 15th 2021, 9:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

That's high. I calculated it a few weeks ago at 1.25%.

2.65 is down from some months ago, when it was over 3.

So, 53,284 cases on January 1st, yesterday 1248 cases = 2.34%. Obviously the 14 days is an average interval, given that the Government shuts down on attribution after 28 days.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Jan 15th 2021 at 9:13 am.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 9:19 am
Yo

I see. I calculated it slightly differently, but I've forgotten exactly how. Will have a look later.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 9:37 am
Account Closed

I see. I calculated it slightly differently, but I've forgotten exactly how. Will have a look later.
Remember your schooldays Mr Shard!

Show your workings!

Old Jan 15th 2021, 11:38 am
Account Closed

Now South America and Portugal banned, seems the Brazilian variant may be in the country
Old Jan 15th 2021, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

This is something I have thought about, but dismissed it because of needing too much time off work, however as you say, it could be possible to work from the UK.... following the recent increased restrictions I have been now forced the work at home, so if I can do that here (albeit it a challenge) I am sure I could manage to do that for a 3-4 weeks in the UK, it would actually be nice to spend an extended period of time there, as its always been such a whrilwind when I have visited before, and I am exhausted after coming back home, and dont feel I have spent quality time with anyone there. Food for thought, got to be some advantage from this working at home thing.

Plus from what I am seeing and reading the general population (me) will be pushing towards the end of he year before getting the vaccine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.