Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

container and customs and excise

Wikiposts

container and customs and excise

Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:01 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: container and customs and excise

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
lol all girlies so no...
Depending on your perspective of course.

I've been wracking my addled brain, but I'm pretty sure we never dealt directly with customs when we landed from Germany in 1993. As far as I remember (no sarcasm please) the stuff just arrived at our new address.

The first time we came here (1982) we had everything we owned in the car.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:10 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Depending on your perspective of course.

I've been wracking my addled brain, but I'm pretty sure we never dealt directly with customs when we landed from Germany in 1993. As far as I remember (no sarcasm please) the stuff just arrived at our new address.

The first time we came here (1982) we had everything we owned in the car.
Canada is the only country that you have to clear your goods through Customs in person.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:12 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm wondering how these people didn't have to do this. The stuff went from shipping into storage and is now in their house with no trip to customs. Lucky them.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:15 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Canada is the only country that you have to clear your goods through Customs in person.
But I didn't have to. As far as I remember.

Edit: I've been massaging the grey matter and found the name of the company we used buried under a pile of garbage.

It was Hertling GmbH http://www.hertling.com/

Door-to-door from near Frankfurt to near Toronto without me lifting a finger.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Nov 11th 2010 at 9:23 am.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:17 am
Account Closed

But I didn't have to. As far as I remember.
But that was long ago, they didn't stop voyageurs and their canoes.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I'm wondering how these people didn't have to do this. The stuff went from shipping into storage and is now in their house with no trip to customs. Lucky them.
Did the shipping company do the customs clearance for them? I guess they still should have provided the GTF list, etc, but they may not have physically had to attend?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:25 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by fledermaus
But that was long ago, they didn't stop voyageurs and their canoes.
Who are calling a voyeur, trollop?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:26 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by ann m
Did the shipping company do the customs clearance for them? I guess they still should have provided the GTF list, etc, but they may not have physically had to attend?
We did have a GTF list.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

There were shipping companies that did offer to do the customs for us, so maybe that is why others didn't have to do it?

It was painless and we didn't mind as it was close.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:52 am
Born again atheist

There were shipping companies that did offer to do the customs for us, so maybe that is why others didn't have to do it?

Seems to be correct. It was painless for us too, since we weren't paying anyway.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:54 am
Account Closed

Ah, that would explain it but Clinique was saying you had to clear it in person. Hey ho. No doubt I will find out one day.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:55 am
Account Closed

Who are calling a voyeur, trollop?
Are you casting nasturtiums?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 10:01 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Customs rules say you have to clear your self. That said, some offices do bend the rules.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 3:43 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Yup - we took our stamped gtf list downtown and the customs lady smiled and stamped it - then I rang he delivery company and it came the next day.

Could have been done at the airport BUT young customs lady was arguing the toss about fumigating the matresses!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

OK prob a rookie question, but we have already landed and we have our PR cards. When we landed we were not asked for GTF.
When we go for good on the 28th Nov, our stuff is following in a container, do we have to declare this as GTF when we arrive at Van airport? We will have a detailed list from the shipping company.

I am assuming it is a yes...
Ta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.