British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   The confessional (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/confessional-905715/)

Oink Nov 18th 2017 5:15 am

Re: The confessional

I'd like to confess things. I think it would be a healthy thing to do but given certain sublimations, unfortunately I can't at this moment in time. :thumbdown:

Shard Nov 18th 2017 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12384678)
I'd like to confess things. I think it would be a healthy thing to do but given certain sublimations, unfortunately I can't at this moment in time. :thumbdown:

Would sacrificing a goat help?

Oink Nov 18th 2017 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12384679)
Would sacrificing a goat help?

It's more to do with ill fitting ski boots and emotionally dispirited takeaways. But that's another story.

Oink Nov 18th 2017 6:48 am

I got that Donald's shudder. When you know you shouldn't have had the Big Mac and the Angus burger. :(

Shard Nov 18th 2017 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12384697)
I got that Donald's shudder. When you know you shouldn't have had the Big Mac and the Angus burger. :(

Instead of burger and fries you should always eat two burgers, says nutritionist | The Independent

BristolUK Nov 18th 2017 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12384676)
...poutine... That's my Achilles heel.

That may explain why I find poutine so unappetizing. :lol:

bats Nov 18th 2017 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12384676)
That's because sugar is a drug. Switch to 75%+ cocoa chocolate.

Where did you have your poutine, and was it worth it? That's my Achilles heel.

I'll cut out chocolate completely (again) and sweet stuff just as soon as I've finished this cake. So the sooner I finish the cake the sooner I can start not eating it. It's the only logical way

New York Fries poutine at the mall. My excuse for eating it is that it's the only gluten free choice in the food court. It's also very good and they have different sauces do you can have chips and butter chicken

Shard Nov 18th 2017 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12384813)
I'll cut out chocolate completely (again) and sweet stuff just as soon as I've finished this cake. So the sooner I finish the cake the sooner I can start not eating it. It's the only logical way

New York Fries poutine at the mall. My excuse for eating it is that it's the only gluten free choice in the food court. It's also very good and they have different sauces do you can have chips and butter chicken

I know that logic well!

Shard Nov 18th 2017 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12384780)

How anyone from the UK can find poutine unappetising is beyond me. Chips - national dish. Gravy - essential element of national dish. Cheese - national obsession. Ok, technically it's cheese curds, but the chain poutine are all pretty much processed cheese of some description. A perfect combo for the British palate.

Alan2005 Nov 18th 2017 4:00 pm

I once ate a 1kg bag of mini eggs in 2 days. It's a wonder I didn't turn diabetic or something.

Siouxie Nov 18th 2017 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12384780)

I tried poutine for the first time last month - I'd avoided it like the plague for 15 years, the thought of it turned my stomach and to me it looked disgusting.

It was surprisingly tasty!

:)

BristolUK Nov 18th 2017 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12384850)
How anyone from the UK can find poutine unappetising is beyond me. Chips - national dish. Gravy - essential element of national dish.

How is gravy an essential element of fish and chips? Who on earth puts gravy on fish?

I remember enjoying faggot peas and chips and a certain amount of gravy with the faggot. Curry sauce and chips too.
But chips and gravy? Just no. And no form of cheese with chips or gravy.

It's almost as bizarre as a hot chicken sandwich not involving hot chicken. :rofl:

bats Nov 18th 2017 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12384850)
How anyone from the UK can find poutine unappetising is beyond me. Chips - national dish. Gravy - essential element of national dish. Cheese - national obsession. Ok, technically it's cheese curds, but the chain poutine are all pretty much processed cheese of some description. A perfect combo for the British palate.

Cheese curds at NYFries. ;)

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12384866)
I tried poutine for the first time last month - I'd avoided it like the plague for 15 years, the thought of it turned my stomach and to me it looked disgusting.

It was surprisingly tasty!

:)

I felt the same. It's good stuff.

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12384875)
How is gravy an essential element of fish and chips? Who on earth puts gravy on fish?

I remember enjoying faggot peas and chips and a certain amount of gravy with the faggot. Curry sauce and chips too.
But chips and gravy? Just no. And no form of cheese with chips or gravy.

It's almost as bizarre as a hot chicken sandwich not involving hot chicken. :rofl:

Never had cheesy chips? Cheesy chips and salad? Meat pie and chips and gravy?

The curds just melt into the gravy making extra good gravy.

Try it sometime but avoid McDonalds poutine - it's a travesty.

Oink Nov 18th 2017 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 12384865)
I once ate a 1kg bag of mini eggs in 2 days. It's a wonder I didn't turn diabetic or something.

I ate ten Cadbury's cream eggs in a row for a bet. I haven't had one since.

caretaker Nov 18th 2017 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12384875)
It's almost as bizarre as a hot chicken sandwich not involving hot chicken

A coffee shop we used to frequent 40 years ago had a Chicken Denver sandwich on the menu and it was a standard toasted Denver; chopped ham, green onions, and eggs - not a shred of chicken in it. I think we even asked why and were told it is what it is. It was good and we ate it often, but no chicken in there at all.