British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   The confessional (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/confessional-905715/)

Paul_Shepherd Nov 13th 2017 6:57 pm

Re: The confessional

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12381248)
Really? They have the opposite effect on me. :lol:

Maybe thats only after marriage! :rofl:

Oink Nov 13th 2017 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12381262)
Maybe thats only after marriage! :rofl:

I'm not married but there are some worrying signs. I found a couple of books by Enver Hoxha on HID's kindle. :eek:

Jingsamichty Nov 13th 2017 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12381259)
Boozing is now restricted to HID's far too infrequent overseas trips, or if I can sneak the odd bottle of red down to the steam room of an evening.

You need to organise a few more trips yourself. I'm working on a very civilised 10/4 day rotation in Europe. None of this puritanical North American attitude to booze, hell I can even stick a few bottles of wine in my expenses.

Oink Nov 13th 2017 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12381271)
You need to organise a few more trips yourself. I'm working on a very civilised 10/4 day rotation in Europe. None of this puritanical North American attitude to booze, hell I can even stick a few bottles of wine in my expenses.

HID often receives bottles of wine from some sycophantic apparatchik but she gives them to her mum. :(

Paul_Shepherd Nov 13th 2017 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12381266)
I'm not married but there are some worrying signs. I found a couple of books by Enver Hoxha on HID's kindle. :eek:

Im sorry to hear that..... mind you, it may just be a passing phase that she will get over. :unsure:

And if the worst does happen....I have seen some walk off into the sunset, so it doesnt alway spell disaster! ;)

Jingsamichty Nov 13th 2017 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12381278)
HID often receives bottles of wine from some sycophantic apparatchik but she gives them to her mum. :(

Is her name Lilith?

Oink Nov 13th 2017 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12381281)
Im sorry to hear that..... mind you, it may just be a passing phase that she will get over. :unsure:

And if the worst does happen....I have seen some walk off into the sunset, so it doesnt alway spell disaster! ;)

I'll hold out as long as I can, I don't think she can break me, I stand in solidarity with the likes of Anatoly Marchenko. But her brutal political rehabilitation programme she euphemistically suggests is "just eating a bit more healthily" is becoming quite extreme. She even PVR'd something from the Dr. Oz show this week. :eek:

Oink Nov 13th 2017 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12381293)
Is her name Lilith?

No nothing like that. Her biggest threat and I dare say deception, is that she's very attractive, pleasant, gregarious and supportive. I'm not fooled by any of it. :thumbdown:

Jingsamichty Nov 13th 2017 7:59 pm

That's like my wife. She is lovely, pretty, far cleverer than me, a marathon runner and gym bunny. I love her to bits but I find life is rather easier for me when I'm on a different continent.

caretaker Nov 13th 2017 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12381266)

Some of the commie hippies I knew in the 70's touted his lip service to feminism as progressive, but he effectively kept Albania in the 19th century for his entire tenure. I'd lay down the law if I were you, and crazy is my type!

bats Nov 13th 2017 8:25 pm

I was away from home for just over two weeks and only had two glasses of wine during that time. I put on 4lbs which seems to me to be strong evidence that giving up drinking is wrong, very wrong.

Oink Nov 13th 2017 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12381310)
That's like my wife. She is lovely, pretty, far cleverer than me, a marathon runner and gym bunny. I love her to bits but I find life is rather easier for me when I'm on a different continent.

I'd like to try that but I'd look like Steve Bannon in a week. :lol:

caretaker Nov 13th 2017 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12381331)
I was away from home for just over two weeks and only had two glasses of wine during that time. I put on 4lbs which seems to me to be strong evidence that giving up drinking is wrong, very wrong.

I stayed home for 2 weeks, only had 2 glasses of wine and gained 6 lbs, it's worse than you think. :ohmy: Disregard my incredible excesses to make the comparison work.

Piff Poff Nov 13th 2017 9:56 pm

I too love cheese, all cheese unless it's goats cheese but there must be one of those out there that I would like. I am however trying to shed some pounds and can only have cheese as a healthy option and only 30g of the delicious stuff, it's so sad. I've also had my husband waving chocolate under my nose all weekend, last weekend it was fresh bread - the struggle is real :( I did a crazy thing and got a personal trainer....For a YEAR!

My confession is, the runners I've just bought were a lot more than the $70 showing on the bank statement! I'm hoping husband of mine won't look too closely at the visa bill when it arrives eek!

Oink Nov 14th 2017 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 12381396)
I too love cheese, all cheese unless it's goats cheese but there must be one of those out there that I would like. I am however trying to shed some pounds and can only have cheese as a healthy option and only 30g of the delicious stuff, it's so sad. I've also had my husband waving chocolate under my nose all weekend, last weekend it was fresh bread - the struggle is real :( I did a crazy thing and got a personal trainer....For a YEAR!

My confession is, the runners I've just bought were a lot more than the $70 showing on the bank statement! I'm hoping husband of mine won't look too closely at the visa bill when it arrives eek!

You need a good pair. You should also go to a proper running shop. Given your size and your needs they should select about five pairs to test out, even outside.