British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   The confessional (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/confessional-905715/)

bats Nov 10th 2017 10:16 pm

The confessional

Today I ate a box of chocolates 161g worth. Thorntons. I was weak, and tired. I don't regret it yet.

Jerseygirl Nov 10th 2017 10:32 pm

Re: The confessional

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12379506)
Today I ate a box of chocolates 161g worth. Thorntons. I was weak, and tired. I don't regret it yet.

Thornton’s...:tounge_smile:

Shard Nov 10th 2017 10:34 pm

161g...pfffft!

dbd33 Nov 10th 2017 11:41 pm

Is it the cost you're going to regret? My first thought was the calories but, if I calculate correctly, that's only 1/3 of a pound, not even a snack.

Teaandtoday5 Nov 11th 2017 1:59 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12379546)
Is it the cost you're going to regret? My first thought was the calories but, if I calculate correctly, that's only 1/3 of a pound, not even a snack.

Could well be the cost. Or the stress. I ordered some last week, and so far today I have had 3 phone calls and an email from UPS. If CBSA snaffle this lot, like they did the last time I tried to order some then I am taking FL hostage till they hand them over. :nod:

If they ever arrive I will be eating considerably more than 161g guilt-free. (If I can stop coughing long enough that is :()

Former Lancastrian Nov 11th 2017 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12379592)
Could well be the cost. Or the stress. I ordered some last week, and so far today I have had 3 phone calls and an email from UPS. If CBSA snaffle this lot, like they did the last time I tried to order some then I am taking FL hostage till they hand them over. :nod:

If they ever arrive I will be eating considerably more than 161g guilt-free. (If I can stop coughing long enough that is :()

I draw your attention to this section of the Customs Act
Examination of goods

99 (1) An officer may
(a) at any time up to the time of release, examine any goods that have been imported and open or cause to be opened any package or container of imported goods and take samples of imported goods in reasonable amounts;

Samples

(4) Samples taken pursuant to subsection (1) shall be disposed of in such manner as the Minister may direct.

So scoffing a box of chocolates or bags of crisps or other confectionary items is completely legal under the Act.;)

dbd33 Nov 11th 2017 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12379592)
(If I can stop coughing long enough that is :()

Winter. Canada. Same problem here. It stops in May.

Oink Nov 11th 2017 3:08 am

I dislike chocolate or sweets in general.

jerryhung Nov 11th 2017 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12379518)
161g...pfffft!

Have to go with Shard on this one :p

jerryhung Nov 11th 2017 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12379596)
I draw your attention to this section of the Customs Act
Examination of goods

99 (1) An officer may
(a) at any time up to the time of release, examine any goods that have been imported and open or cause to be opened any package or container of imported goods and take samples of imported goods in reasonable amounts;

Samples

(4) Samples taken pursuant to subsection (1) shall be disposed of in such manner as the Minister may direct.

So scoffing a box of chocolates or bags of crisps or other confectionary items is completely legal under the Act.;)

:rofl: Neat perk FL :thumbsup:

jerryhung Nov 11th 2017 3:55 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12379506)

I thought this was a general confessional thread but looks like we are just here to hear yours today, bat? Never mind, there are much worse confessions, believe me :p

jerryhung Nov 11th 2017 4:30 am

bats - your thread led me to go and get two packs of Smarties left over from Hollywood and gobble it down - ick.

caretaker Nov 11th 2017 11:44 am

Once when I was drunk I ate a whole Terry's chocolate orange, and though it was over 20 years ago I'm still a little gun-shy.

bats Nov 11th 2017 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12379546)

The queasiness afterwards was a regret as well as calories and cost. I'd bought this box to eat at Christmas but they called to me and I was weak. I'd pretty much given up chocolate as the thought of the pleasure of eating chocolate doesn't match up to reality. Cheese never disappoints in that way, I should have stuck with cheese.

Originally Posted by jerryhung (Post 12379633)
I thought this was a general confessional thread but looks like we are just here to hear yours today, bat? Never mind, there are much worse confessions, believe me :p

I thought it might encourage others to come forward with tales of bodies in the attic, skeletons in cupboards, drunken doings. And so on.

Jerseygirl Nov 11th 2017 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12379800)
The queasiness afterwards was a regret as well as calories and cost. I'd bought this box to eat at Christmas but they called to me and I was weak. I'd pretty much given up chocolate as the thought of the pleasure of eating chocolate doesn't match up to reality. Cheese never disappoints in that way, I should have stuck with cheese.

I thought it might encourage others to come forward with tales of bodies in the attic, skeletons in cupboards, drunken doings. And so on.

I’m glad someone else hears the chocolate voice speaking to them...I thought it was just me. :o

Even if I hide them away...I can hear ‘Jerseygirl eat me, eat me...you know you want to’. It doesn’t matter what type of chocolate it is (apart from Hershey) it won’t stop until there is none left. Same applies to biscuits and cake. :(