Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Condo/Apartment noise levels!

Condo/Apartment noise levels!

Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Reathor has a spectacular aura aboutReathor has a spectacular aura aboutReathor has a spectacular aura about
Default Condo/Apartment noise levels!

I know this is gonna vary a lot depending on the kind of neighbours you have and perhaps build quality sounds insualtion levels but for those of you who have had the experience of living in a modern apartment or condo in Canada what are general noise levels like through the walls! ? Can you hear kids screaming, conversations, music thumping etc or are peoples general experiences been pretty good ? Thanks in advance for peoples thoughts!
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Condo/Apartment noise levels!

Originally Posted by Reathor
I know this is gonna vary a lot depending on the kind of neighbours you have and perhaps build quality sounds insualtion levels but for those of you who have had the experience of living in a modern apartment or condo in Canada what are general noise levels like through the walls! ? Can you hear kids screaming, conversations, music thumping etc or are peoples general experiences been pretty good ? Thanks in advance for peoples thoughts!
Generally pretty good, a neighbour of ours who lived across the hall in an apartment building in Mississauga shot all of his family without disturbing us.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:32 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Pros & Cons of Condo Living:-

http://www.lendingtree.com/smartborr...um-living.aspx

http://www.realestateeditorial.com/2...-condo-living/

http://www.cnb.ca/condo.htm

http://allaboutcondoliving.com/
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Some friends rented a condo locally for about 6 weeks I think when they first arrived here. Very nice, new, smart, well kitted out and good location as a base. Normal construction, ie, wood everywhere and not a great deal of noise reduction extras going on.

They had two small children and were conscious not to make too much noise, so were 'out' for huge chunks of the day. If only the lady next door had been so neighbourly - what, with all her 2am gentlemen visitors and the associated noises - t'was truly a nightmare!! And the corridors with doors opening and closing were also an issue.

The construction here usually seems to favour concrete floors between the levels (which I would have thought as essential) - but I would also want concrete block walls between each apartment too
Old Oct 26th 2008, 12:06 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

We moved recently from a house split into flats into a 9 floor apartment building, built, as mentioned above, mostly from concrete.

With the wood flooring everywhere, high heels very late at night are pretty audible from the unit above. The odd time the rec room is rented for a party which goes on til late we hear the s**te dance music as we're only on the 2nd floor.

As for everything else, general neighbour noise, dogs, music played loud, the occasional argument - everything's much as I remember it being from the estate of semis and terraces I lived in in England. You hear it but it doesn't bother you. Overall the noise was worse in the house apartment.

Locals here tell me though that the newer condos aren't built so well, and are smaller than some of the older ones. Maybe noise is more of an issue in them.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 1:32 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

We rented in a pretty new condo that was wood construction for about 6 months or so. It was great until someone new moved in above us...we were convinced that they were running on a treadmill most evenings!!!

Other than that the heated underground parking was a bonus for the winter and on a more topical note, we didn't get a single trick or treater knocking at the door!

If I was going to buy a condo then I would look at concrete construction and check out the sound proofing materials beforehand!
Old Oct 26th 2008, 1:37 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

we are in a fairly new build condo (about 2005 I think) . The sound proofing is excellent. When we first moved in I was convinced that we were the only ones living on our floor.

If you are sat in the den then you can hear people in the corridor outside and occasionally the elevator pinging , other than that nothing. We don't here other peoples music kids or anything. You can't even hear our lounge TV when you are in the bedrooms.