British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Comox Valley, Qualicum, Parksville and Nanimo - seeking new contacts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/comox-valley-qualicum-parksville-nanimo-seeking-new-contacts-712555/)

happybunny39 Apr 8th 2011 2:04 am

Comox Valley, Qualicum, Parksville and Nanimo - seeking new contacts

Hi All

I am a Brit Expat, currently living in Queenstown, NZ, but moving with my husband and three children to Vancouver Island in the fall. I am looking to meet people in Comox Valley, Nanaimo and surrounds - and all places in between.

We have accepted a job offer for a company with offices in Nanaimo and Courtenay, so will need to live somewhere either in or in between those areas.

We are on a reccie in July to suss things out, but would like to meet up with new or long term residents, or just discuss with people on this forum about where they live and why they like it so much (I am not really interested in the negatives, as everywhere has them and how much they niggle you depends on how happy you are in your own personal space / how much that meets your needs etc).

So if you have any positives to say about the area, please comment or personal message me. I have been looking at Qualicum / Parksville as a base, as it is in the middle, but would welcome feedback and experiences of places to go and experience in July and on your experiences living there in general.

We are the type of people that like semi rural living, I want to keep chocks (chickens), we want a decent school for our kids (ages 8, 5 and 4) and a pleasant community that we can immerse ourselves in. In our situation, what would appeal and why?

Kind regards :thumbsup:

gooding Apr 10th 2011 1:42 am

Re: Comox Valley, Qualicum, Parksville and Nanimo - seeking new contacts

I have not been on this forum for years, but live in Courtenay, we are considering moving as it has tired on us after 5 years. Work is the main issue for anyone in this area, but if you haev a job you are OK. Qualicam and Parksville are big retirement areas and the Comox Valley is fast becoming the same, but nice beach areas, and trails eveywhere on the island etc.

You are nearer to Nanaimo in Parksville, and there are several malls, and al the usual box stores, but I would not live there. The highway is so easy to drive, never crowded, the oceanside highway is also good.
Comox has an airbase, and many new houses have sprung up, lots of young families live there.
The Valley would be good for you and your kids due to the choice of parks, aquatic centres, skiing on the Mountain, ( best snow in whole of Canada)
My daughter is actually working in Queenstown at the moment, for Ziptrek, go hunt her out and she will tell you all about it! She actually works in Whislter, and would never live her as she is 21 and hates it. You have a huge choice of houses at the moment, but be prepared for a culture shock, either shacks that need demolishing or brand new subdivisions.
The valley may remind you of Queenstown a bit with snow covered mountains, lakes for boating, and hiking trails eveywhere.

happybunny39 Apr 10th 2011 3:33 am

Hey, thanks for that, I think that confirms a couple of things that have been demanding my attention - it is so easy to brush these tings aside when you don't want to hear them, lol.

gooding Apr 10th 2011 6:05 pm

Your welcome, if you are out this way and want a fast track tour of the Comox Valley then send me an email and I'll give you a tour. I live in South Courtenay which is semi rural, but there are no young children here as many of the small schools have closed due to dropping numbers, it is a long bus ride for many of the children. Anyway i am happy to give you a tour, and lots of things for you and the kids to do in July on the island. Enjoy the visit.