Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Cold sore following flu :(

Cold sore following flu :(

Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cold sore following flu :(

Originally Posted by Monkey Puzzle
Yep, that's true. Nothing seems to zap them like Zovirax.

(Now UK vistors bring me a tube as a present when they come to visit! Hmm... might like some proper Dairy Milk next time.)
Haha I am severely tempted to add it to my list for my Mum and Dad to bring over when they visit in June

Zilactin is what I was using. DAMN it smarts.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future

(Now UK vistors bring me a tube as a present when they come to visit! Hmm... might like some proper Dairy Milk next time.)
Compeed Coldsore plasters!!! I can't shout it loud enough! I have tried everything and they are absolutely fantastic. You will have to get someone to post them to you. They're not cheap but they're worth their weight in gold.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 3:13 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn it. Flederman now has a cold sore. I tried asking for Zovirax but you would think I was asking for heroin from the look I got. They advised Abreva, so that's what I have bought him.

He's now in quarantine. I've never had one and don't ever want one.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Damn it. Flederman now has a cold sore. I tried asking for Zovirax but you would think I was asking for heroin from the look I got. They advised Abreva, so that's what I have bought him.

He's now in quarantine. I've never had one and don't ever want one.
Lucky you.... An ex managed too pass one on many years ago to me and I now tend to get them following illness (found out they are known as fever blisters here because apparently a high temperature re-awakens the dormant virus)
Old Oct 17th 2009, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future

Avoid chocolate, coffee, any substance that contains arginine as it arms the herpes virus. Avoid getting run down wherever possible. At the first sign of a coldsore (tingling) take 1000mg L-Lysine which inhibits the viral activity. This has often stopped the development of a coldsore in its tracks.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 4:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by HurricaneHayles
Lucky you.... An ex managed too pass one on many years ago to me and I now tend to get them following illness (found out they are known as fever blisters here because apparently a high temperature re-awakens the dormant virus)
They are linked to Bell's Palsy too. Flederman had an attack of this a couple of years ago, on the same side that the cold sore always appears.

Evil things.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 4:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by elizabeth_action
Avoid chocolate, coffee, any substance that contains arginine as it arms the herpes virus. Avoid getting run down wherever possible. At the first sign of a coldsore (tingling) take 1000mg L-Lysine which inhibits the viral activity. This has often stopped the development of a coldsore in its tracks.
Not so easy to do when an emigrant. I'll look into the other stuff, thanks