Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Cold sore following flu :(

Cold sore following flu :(

Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of
Default Cold sore following flu :(

GAH! I hate these things

Have now discovered topical aciclovir is not available over the counter here so am now applying some horrible stuff which causes "transient smarting" when applied.

Also causes me to do a little dance whilst cursing a lot when I first apply it!!

I hope it goes soon It is indeed the mother of all cold sores and my lip is all swollen
Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:25 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cold sore following flu :(

Originally Posted by HurricaneHayles
GAH! I hate these things

Have now discovered topical aciclovir is not available over the counter here so am now applying some horrible stuff which causes "transient smarting" when applied.

Also causes me to do a little dance whilst cursing a lot when I first apply it!!

I hope it goes soon It is indeed the mother of all cold sores and my lip is all swollen
thanks for sharing your herpes with us all.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rae
thanks for sharing your herpes with us all.
You're welcome!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:05 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Herpes alert.

I hope you wiped your hands before typing, we don't want to catch anything.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Thank you SO much for making me feel like a leper

*touches lip then wipes hands on rae and Fledermaus*

Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:48 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This is sold in Canada as well as the US and works quite well on canker sores and herpes

Carmex

A small yellow container to slip into a pocket or purse.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:56 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

oh, gruesome. oh yuck

<wanders off looking for a vat of disinfectant>
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fledermaus
oh, gruesome. oh yuck

<wanders off looking for a vat of disinfectant>
*cackles*

*hides disinfectant*

Cheers Rete - will have a look for it. Gotta be better than this stuff which seems to get rid of them using acid
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

My wife uses zovirax: it works really well.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:16 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
My wife uses zovirax: it works really well.
luckily for you
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

Awww I hate cold sores, I seem to get them in summer.

I never use the ointments, I was told to clean the coldsore regularly with a washcloth that has been soaked in hot water and unscented soap then apply Vaseline, it always seems to work for me.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

harju is an unknown quantity at this point

My dental hygenist told me that as soon as I feel a cold sore coming on give them a call and they will zap it with the laser. It will go away and apparently you will never get a cold sore in that spot again? (it takes about 10 seconds and they will do it without an appointment). Apparently it works best when the cold sore is just forming.
I get them when my lips get dry and cracked for whatever reason. I use Blistex to beat it down and have never had a full blown eruption.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by harju
My dental hygenist told me that as soon as I feel a cold sore coming on give them a call and they will zap it with the laser. It will go away and apparently you will never get a cold sore in that spot again? (it takes about 10 seconds and they will do it without an appointment). Apparently it works best when the cold sore is just forming.
I get them when my lips get dry and cracked for whatever reason. I use Blistex to beat it down and have never had a full blown eruption.
Wow! That sounds awesome.

Usually I feel them coming on but I didn't this time. I was either too out of it what with the flu or the fact that I was ill anyways may have had a part in it!

Have got some blistex now the worst of it is over - way more soothing

Back in the UK I would normally get zovirax but couldn't find any over the counter here - only seems to be available on perscription.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:06 am
:)

pthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond repute

zilactin is good, also dab of tea tree oil.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Back in the UK I would normally get zovirax but couldn't find any over the counter here - only seems to be available on perscription.
Yep, that's true. Nothing seems to zap them like Zovirax.

(Now UK vistors bring me a tube as a present when they come to visit! Hmm... might like some proper Dairy Milk next time.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.