Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Coffee Thread - I do believe we never had one

The Coffee Thread - I do believe we never had one

Old Feb 2nd 2017, 9:51 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Coffee Thread - I do believe we never had one

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Well, I wouldn't speak for the whole country but yes, my Canadian partner didn't understand why I looked so horrified, he said without instructions, it seemed the obvious thing to do with them....
Gosh...it must be like eating a bath sponge I can see why they might not be wildly popular!
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 11:14 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Sorry I went off topic...I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I do like a French
Press if I do have one. Interesting to note how many positive remarks there are for MacDonalds; my husband is a dedicated MickyD coffee aficionado and has been for years, he says they are better by far from the rest.
It's true that MD coffee is pretty good.

My missus bought a can of TH coffee a while ago and sneakily brewed a pot of it. I took one swig and asked if the milk had gone off.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 12:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
It's true that MD coffee is pretty good.

My missus bought a can of TH coffee a while ago and sneakily brewed a pot of it. I took one swig and asked if the milk had gone off.
I still say Tim Hortons Dark Roast is good. It's relatively new.

I wouldn't dream of buying it to make at home, with so many other choices available.

When you're spending the day in hospital with someone and it's either instant from the kitchenette, some anonymous and weak stuff from the hospital restaurant or Dark Roast from the TH, then it's Dark Roast every time.

But if I'm downtown and want coffee, then it's less likely to be TH.
But then you might be eating in somewhere like Cora's with free refills thinking how weak it is while your fellow diners drink from the same pot and say it's too strong.

Maybe that's the TH problem - "one size fits no-one" as I always used to say when seeing clothes marked one-size.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 12:25 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

I still say Tim Hortons Dark Roast is good. It's relatively new.
http://www.timhortons.com/ca/images/...st-product.png
I wouldn't dream of buying it to make at home, with so many other choices available.

When you're spending the day in hospital with someone and it's either instant from the kitchenette, some anonymous and weak stuff from the hospital restaurant or Dark Roast from the TH, then it's Dark Roast every time.

But if I'm downtown and want coffee, then it's less likely to be TH.
But then you might be eating in somewhere like Cora's with free refills thinking how weak it is while your fellow diners drink from the same pot and say it's too strong.

Maybe that's the TH problem - "one size fits no-one" as I always used to say when seeing clothes marked one-size.
If I were downtown and thirsty, I wouldn't head for a coffee shop. There are better place to get refreshment.

For us, at home, Van Houtte French Roast.