Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Coffee Thread - I do believe we never had one

The Coffee Thread - I do believe we never had one

Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Coffee Thread - I do believe we never had one

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I have lost faith in all of humanity

A thread about coffee and Brits talking about it?
Did we drink coffee in the good old days of the Empire? What has become of that great nation when we are now talking about coffee.

FFS somebody will be telling me we now prefer croissants instead of crumpets.
Have you ever seen a Canadian eat their first crumpet?

A few months ago I walked into the kitchen. There's absolutely nothing you can do but gaze, slack-jawed, as they finish sawing through it (cold), with a bread knife, having assumed that this pack of things is to be eaten like a bun, cut in half with jam spread on the inside.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:50 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Did we drink coffee in the good old days of the Empire? What has become of that great nation when we are now talking about coffee.

Coffee houses were all the rage in London four hundred years ago. I think tea is a Johnny come lately beverage.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
It takes a lot of practice to use a domestic quality espresso machine and get consistent results. The water pressure, how your coffee grinds are packed into the portafilter, how fine/granular your beans are ground etc. There are many variables.

Skim and semi-skimmed milk will steam and froth just as well as full fat if you get the technique correct, and the right steam temperature.

The Rancilio Silvia is about the best bang for your buck for a home machine - many of the components are commercial grade, so it has the capability to deliver more consistent results than less robust domestic machines.
I bow to your superior coffee expertise, however I will not be sharing your recommendation within the T&T household as not every member can be counted on to resist the temptation of shiny new gadgets. For that money I could fly back to the UK and fill up a suitcase with teabags and choccy biccies.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:53 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
The all important question regarding coffee, is how you take it? I'm talking bog standard filter coffee.

Black, with milk, or with cream?

Reason I ask is because it is virtually impossible to buy fresh coffee cream in the UK. Well that might be a slight exaggeration, but I could not find any in Tescos/Sainsbury's etc.
Best I could find was double cream mixed with milk.

Here we have half and half, 10%, 18% etc.
Home: Sweetened with a small spoon of double cream.
Out: black, sweetened
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:47 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I don't know where they live.
Try the food bank or a soup kitchen
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:58 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Try the food bank or a soup kitchen
I think Oink often eats out but not normally in those types of restaurants'- they dont serve seafood or steak
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 12:40 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
I actually prefer instant with powdered milk
I guess it's what you grew up with
I grew up drinking coffee only if I could have Ideal Milk (evaporated) with it. I had occasional Camp Coffee.
At school we had the occasional half and half (instant).
I'd still be drinking that if it really was what we grew up with.

Then my parents bought a percolator and I was interested in little else.

Croissants are a million times better then Pikelets.

Originally Posted by Shard
Coffee houses were all the rage in London four hundred years ago. I think tea is a Johnny come lately beverage.

Most Brits I knew in my entire life have preferred coffee to tea. Tea drinkers I have come across have been identifiable by being North American.

In Moscow and (then) Leningrad, our tour group - Brits - were not popular with the waiters for wanting not just coffee rather than tea but subsequent cups. Tea was cheap, coffee expensive but both included in the meals.

When you saw what coffee went for in the hard currency (Beriozka) shops - the only place residents could buy it (and then illegally) you understood the anger.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid

A few months ago I walked into the kitchen. There's absolutely nothing you can do but gaze, slack-jawed, as they finish sawing through it (cold), with a bread knife, having assumed that this pack of things is to be eaten like a bun, cut in half with jam spread on the inside.
Reading your post I started to gaze and become slack-jawed!

Is it even possible to cut a crumpet that way? I simply cannot imagine it. Even putting jam on the top of a toasted crumpet is a bit beyond the pale in my books. Butter and honey - mmm. Butter and vegemite - even better.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MelVan
Reading your post I started to gaze and become slack-jawed!

Is it even possible to cut a crumpet that way? I simply cannot imagine it. Even putting jam on the top of a toasted crumpet is a bit beyond the pale in my books. Butter and honey - mmm. Butter and vegemite - even better.
My other half eats crumpets with cheese. Should be grounds for divorce.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 1:54 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 2nd 2017, 4:29 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

My step father loves camp coffee
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 9:42 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid

Are you serious? Is this really what happens to crumpets here? I have two of them in my sights in the next ten minutes...hot with salted butter for breakfast...yum!
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Are you serious? Is this really what happens to crumpets here? I have two of them in my sights in the next ten minutes...hot with salted butter for breakfast...yum!
Well, I wouldn't speak for the whole country but yes, my Canadian partner didn't understand why I looked so horrified, he said without instructions, it seemed the obvious thing to do with them....
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 9:50 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I went off topic...I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I do like a French
Press if I do have one. Interesting to note how many positive remarks there are for MacDonalds; my husband is a dedicated MickyD coffee aficionado and has been for years, he says they are better by far from the rest.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 9:51 am
Yo

I went through a serious crumpet phase a couple of years ago (the food type). Generally salted butter and marmalade. Delish!

Warburton's also started making "mega crumpets" which were about six inches across rather than the usual two inches.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.