Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Coffee Thread - I do believe we never had one

The Coffee Thread - I do believe we never had one

Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:07 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Coffee Thread - I do believe we never had one

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77
Tea.
Me too. HID doesn't drink anything hot, even soup.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Neither HID or I drink coffee. HID must have $500+ in Starbucks cards that she's been given. If we lived in the UK I'd give them to homeless people but I guess they'll just sit in a drawer accumulating further.
And why wouldn't you give the cards to homeless people in Vancouver?
Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:17 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
And why wouldn't you give the cards to homeless people in Vancouver?
I don't know where they live.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:22 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you refund them and buy a tank of gas for your boat?
Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Shard
Can't you refund them and buy a tank of gas for your boat?
I think you'd need the receipt but they were gifts.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:30 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I think you'd need the receipt but they were gifts.
I don't think you do need a receipt for gift cards. It's a fair amount of $ to leave in a drawer, especially if they have some kind of expiry date on them.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 11:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Our coffee machine gave up the ghost last weekend. Managed with the cafetière so far, but I suppose a new machine is inevitable. Is a pod machine the best option?
The Keurig machines are good but if it's the only thing you use it is expensive compared to a drip machine.

I use a drip machine, making 6 cups (my size cup, not a ginormous one) at a time and use a pod or an instant for when I don't want to do a pot.

I have a replacement drip machine lined up, still in ts box. $9 in Superstore about three years ago. I thought I'll get that and save cleaning the other one.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Grab the Hamilton Beach dual one. It lets you use pods or a carafe.
Wow, that is good. A space saver too. I don't see that it has an immediate turn off option though. I'm the only person that drinks my strength/type of coffee and I don't like it to sit there evaporating so (like Siouxie ) I turn it off and then use the microwave for a cup when I'm ready. It tastes fine.

Originally Posted by Shard
Recently picked up a new mini cafetiere, and have re-discovered the superiority of ground coffee.
I had a single cup one at work but letting it settle before plunging meant it lost heat. But now I know microwaving it hot works fine, I now know I could have done that back then.
Can't quite understand how over the past two years I drifted into drinking the instant (albeit premium-instant) variety.
It's easy when you have 'instants' of the quality of Carte Noire and Alta Rica available. Taster's Coice Dark Roast and Nescafe Colombian are just about acceptable here but well short of my memory of Carte Noire.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute

As a Melburnian, who will be coming to Canada as soon as practicable after COPR is received, this is a very interesting thread for me.

Melbourne thinks it has the best coffee in the world, and proudly announces that Starbucks had to close stores it opened here (presumably because they weren't supported). You can spot a Melburnian overseas as they loudly proclaim how disgusting the coffee is wherever they are in the world. They will also go to great lengths to find the coffee shop opened and run by Melbourne expats (I get a kick out of going to Bluestone Lane cafes in New York as the chain was started by a Melburnian, Nick Stone, and offers such Australian delicacies as vegemite on toast and smashed avocado on toast - all at fabulously inflated prices...).

I buy my coffee out during the working week, but on weekends at home I happily use a Nespresso machine. The Ristretto black pods are fairly strong, with some bitterness, but as I drink my espresso coffee with hot milk (prepared in the Nespresso milk canister), the bitterness tends to dissipate against the sweetness of the milk.

When I come to North America on business, I tend to go native and drink dirty dishwater coffee. That's what's available, so I drink it. This horrifies the coffee cognoscenti back in Melbourne, but I still like my morning coffee. I drink Tim's dark roast in Canada - sometimes with milk, but never sugar.

Some friends in LA I visit have a Keurig pod machine. I drink the Original Donut Shop blend or the Green Mountain breakfast blend when visiting with them. They taste fine enough to me.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 11:25 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

What about cappuccino espresso machines?
Old Feb 1st 2017, 12:07 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I drink tea at home, I'll buy a jar of instant for work. Haven't found a single Keurig coffee I like. If I was to buy a machine I'd have a fancy nesspresso (sp) thingy.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 12:44 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

This is like me ordering my first fancy coffee in front of my teenage Daughter...

Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
What about cappuccino espresso machines?
That's what our broken one was. I don't know if it was just Himself making a palaver of it, but it seemed like so much bother I never actually used it myself. (I prefer tea really anyway.) Results were, to my mind, hit and miss. And the milk doesn't get properly frothy unless you used full fat, which I always forgot to get.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:30 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
That's what our broken one was. I don't know if it was just Himself making a palaver of it, but it seemed like so much bother I never actually used it myself. (I prefer tea really anyway.) Results were, to my mind, hit and miss. And the milk doesn't get properly frothy unless you used full fat, which I always forgot to get.
It takes a lot of practice to use a domestic quality espresso machine and get consistent results. The water pressure, how your coffee grinds are packed into the portafilter, how fine/granular your beans are ground etc. There are many variables.

Skim and semi-skimmed milk will steam and froth just as well as full fat if you get the technique correct, and the right steam temperature.

The Rancilio Silvia is about the best bang for your buck for a home machine - many of the components are commercial grade, so it has the capability to deliver more consistent results than less robust domestic machines.

Last edited by R I C H; Feb 1st 2017 at 1:33 am.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife drinks coffee. Myself I am not fond of the taste, tolerable with sugar and cream and copious amounts of both. It also gives me stomach aches.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:52 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
The Rancilio Silvia is about the best bang for your buck for a home machine - many of the components are commercial grade, so it has the capability to deliver more consistent results than less robust domestic machines.
$685?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.