British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   The Coffee Thread - I do believe we never had one (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coffee-thread-i-do-believe-we-never-had-one-890920/)

BristolUK Jan 31st 2017 5:07 pm

The Coffee Thread - I do believe we never had one

Discussed occasionally, and mostly anti-Tim Hortons, but I don't think we ever had a coffee specific thread.

Surely coffee is too important not to have one. ;)

Superstore/Loblaws, or whatever it is for you, is selling 12-packs of coffee pods for $5.99. There's a huge selection so you can try some new ones to see what floats your boat without breaking the bank.

I came back with 5 different types, every one of them a dark roast :o

The offer may end very soon.

not2old Jan 31st 2017 5:38 pm

Re: The Coffee Thread - I do believe we never had one

Melitta coffee grind is the one & only coffee my wife will have in the house since we have been married in 1968. On special the ~900g can is $8.99, she'll buy 3 or 4 cans

I rarely drink the stuff

If I do on a take-out, then I will choose McD's

Teaandtoday5 Jan 31st 2017 5:40 pm

Our coffee machine gave up the ghost last weekend. Managed with the cafetière so far, but I suppose a new machine is inevitable. Is a pod machine the best option?

Former Lancastrian Jan 31st 2017 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12166895)
Our coffee machine gave up the ghost last weekend. Managed with the cafetière so far, but I suppose a new machine is inevitable. Is a pod machine inevitable?

Grab the Hamilton Beach dual one. It lets you use pods or a carafe.
2-Way FlexBrew® Coffeemaker (49985C)

Teaandtoday5 Jan 31st 2017 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12166898)
Grab the Hamilton Beach dual one. It lets you use pods or a carafe.
2-Way FlexBrew® Coffeemaker (49985C)

That may be the answer. Not too pricey either. :thumbup:

Oink Jan 31st 2017 7:06 pm

Neither HID or I drink coffee. HID must have $500+ in Starbucks cards that she's been given. If we lived in the UK I'd give them to homeless people but I guess they'll just sit in a drawer accumulating further. :lol:

Partially discharged Jan 31st 2017 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12167002)
Neither HID or I drink coffee. HID must have $500+ in Starbucks cards that she's been given. If we lived in the UK I'd give them to homeless people but I guess they'll just sit in a drawer accumulating further. :lol:

You mean you are just naturally so chipper and upbeat on this web forum without the aid of caffeine? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

caretaker Jan 31st 2017 7:20 pm

We did have a coffee thread but it was years ago. I'm using a bodum now, Maxwell House dark roast. I buy 3 or 4 when it's $7 at No Frills. I just gave away a Keurig because I didn't like it - you can get little baskets for your own coffee from the dollar store so you don't have to buy pods, but I like the French press or bodum coffee more.

Souvy Jan 31st 2017 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12167021)
We did have a coffee thread but it was years ago. I'm using a bodum now, Maxwell House dark roast. I buy 3 or 4 when it's $7 at No Frills. I just gave away a Keurig because I didn't like it - you can get little baskets for your own coffee from the dollar store so you don't have to buy pods, but I like the French press or bodum coffee more.

We had a Keurig (and baskets from Crappy Tire because pods are a sodding ripoff). We got rid of it recently and bought a B&D drip machine. Works fine and makes better coffee that the Keurig did (and hotter).

It's Van Houtte for us, all the way.

Stinkypup Jan 31st 2017 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12167002)

I will PM you my address to mail them. :thumbup:

withabix Jan 31st 2017 8:52 pm

Bean to cup machine for me. Expensive up-front, but then you just buy beans.

As long as you look after them (descaling and cleaning when you're supposed to), they should just keep going.

Second hand market for them is good too.

Haven't had a cup of instant coffee for years.

McDonalds gets my vote if I buy coffee. Timmies' dark roast is passable. Wouldn't waste my money at Starbucks.

Shard Jan 31st 2017 9:40 pm

Recently picked up a new mini cafetiere, and have re-discovered the superiority of ground coffee. Can't quite understand how over the past two years I drifted into drinking the instant (albeit premium-instant) variety. Preferred brand is Lavazza but currently on a more exotic batch.

Hawkmoon77 Jan 31st 2017 9:42 pm

All coffee is spawn of the devil. But if you must poison yourselves with that muck...go ahead ;)

not2old Jan 31st 2017 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 12167122)
All coffee is spawn of the devil. But if you must poison yourselves with that muck...go ahead ;)

do tell us what it is that you drink?

Hawkmoon77 Jan 31st 2017 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 12167126)
do tell us what it is that you drink?

Tea.