British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Which coffee do you drink at home? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coffee-do-you-drink-home-856793/)

Edo Apr 20th 2015 5:37 pm

Which coffee do you drink at home?

Considering every food item tastes different here than the UK and can sometimes take your taste buds a looong time to accept the twang of it (maybe never?), I am wondering what is the forum's most favourite coffee in these circumstances? Something that doesn't take too much effort to make but feel good to those taste buds.

Yorkiechef Apr 20th 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Which coffee do you drink at home?

Still in UK, M&S Italian blend strength 3! Or Taylor's Columbian beans number 4. I'll be bring plenty of thoe with me when we permanently move.

Pizzawheel Apr 20th 2015 6:34 pm

Weekdays I run on Nescafe instant (the regular, not the fancy ones).

Weekends I grind fresh coffee, nearly always Presidents Choice beans- I used to like the West Coat Dark but as my tastebuds are mellowing I'm finding the "Great Canadian Coffee" beans hit the spot.

plasticcanuck Apr 20th 2015 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef (Post 11623885)
Still in UK, M&S Italian blend strength 3! Or Taylor's Columbian beans number 4. I'll be bring plenty of thoe with me when we permanently move.

With all due respect, bringing coffee from UK to Canada is truly carrying coals to Newcastle and I suspect much more expensive also.

MillieF Apr 20th 2015 6:42 pm

I only have an occasional coffee, but I very much like Nescafe Taster's Choice.

Yorkiechef Apr 20th 2015 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11623901)
With all due respect, bringing coffee from UK to Canada is truly carrying coals to Newcastle and I suspect much more expensive also.

You could be right, just the coffee I had in hotels, TH and in se Independant coffee shops was on the whole quite disappointing, I don't generally like coffee from Starbucks. Costa and the likes pretty gipping. Nothing quite like a decent cafetière at home with some single cream. It will run out eventually, then I suspect we will have been assimilated.

R I C H Apr 20th 2015 7:21 pm

Doi Chaang single estate espresso.

http://www.canterburycoffee.com/busi...oi-chaang.aspx

Edo Apr 20th 2015 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 11623944)

Where do you get that from, and whats so special about it?

Piff Poff Apr 20th 2015 7:37 pm

Nescafe Espresso usually or if I feel like indulging I will make a Cafe Con Leche with Cuban coffee in my little coffee cooker thingy.

R I C H Apr 20th 2015 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Edo (Post 11623946)
Where do you get that from, and whats so special about it?

I can sell you it ;) It's also available from some Costco and London Drugs (blended, not single estate though).

It's ranked in the top 1% of coffee beans in the world and is a beyond fair trade product. The beans are imported to Vancouver and roasted there, the company was started by an English businessman who stumbled upon the location in Thailand where opium was being grown. The climatic and geographic area was perfect for coffee plantations, so he invested in the local farmers and created the business.

I sold 25,000 cups of it in the past 8 months.

Pizzawheel Apr 20th 2015 7:43 pm

I bring a small tub of ground PC choice for summer hols in blighty. As there's no grinder there.

Edo Apr 20th 2015 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 11623957)
I can sell you it ;) It's also available from some Costco and London Drugs (blended, not single estate though).

It's ranked in the top 1% of coffee beans in the world and is a beyond fair trade product. The beans are imported to Vancouver and roasted there, the company was started by an English businessman who stumbled upon the location in Thailand where opium was being grown. The climatic and geographic area was perfect for coffee plantations, so he invested in the local farmers and created the business.

I sold 25,000 cups of it in the past 8 months.

So do you do free samples? :p

R I C H Apr 20th 2015 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Edo (Post 11623971)
So do you do free samples? :p

I get nothing free from my supplier :(

Free coffee to you when you visit my cafe though :)

jimf Apr 20th 2015 9:05 pm

Certainly there wouldn't be any point in bringing the north american style coca cola coffee from the UK to Canada.

BBC Business Boomers Coffee Shop Hot Shots Documentary - YT.PAK3.COM | Free You Tube in Pakistan

Shard Apr 20th 2015 10:22 pm

Instant: Kenco Millanco

Espresso: Lavazza Rosa

Tea: Twinings

Chocolate: Lindt

Might need to go make a cuppa now...