Class of 2007

Old Sep 5th 2017, 5:32 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Class of 2007

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
No its what I really wanted to do, so I tried hard to make it work, and it did.

Im also Ontario as well as 2009, so Id better leave now before I get stale bread rolls and rotten fruit thrown at me!
lol
Old Sep 5th 2017, 8:42 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Ooo, this is me.

If I knew then what I know now I doubt I'd have bothered to come here in the first place, but now I'm here it's alright really.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 11:51 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We arrived in January of 2007.
I dunno why I don't just say "me too" to everything AC says, but anyway I suppose technically I arrived before that because I lived in the GTA briefly but I've lived in Calgary since then.

I will never move back to the UK and over the years I've realized that it was actually a far better idea to move here than I thought it was at the time given what has happened since, e.g. Brexit.

Anyway I've met you both personally so there isn't much point commenting further, other than to the comments that people are making about "when I retire I'll move to BC".

I've spent a fair amount of time in BC, personally I think this "I'll retire to BC" thing is a Canadian psychological coping mechanism to get through the winter. There's nothing particularly fantastic about the idea of retiring to BC. Victoria, you're trapped on an island (and being British, why not just move to Plymouth), Vancouver, it rains all the time during the winter which is if anything more depressing than the snow, Kelowna, still gets really cold during the winter and it's very isolated and a bugger to drive anywhere. Anywhere else is small and doesn't have much going on, e.g. Kamloops and Cranbrook. Oh and it's generally more expensive. And catches fire a lot.

I'm not saying I wouldn't move to BC if there was a logical reason for moving there but I can't see how it's any better from a retirement point of view. Driving around mountains all the time in BC would drive me mental.

My personal view is that it's likely at some point that Congress will enact some sort of retirement visa for Canadians so Although even that is overrated imo, mainly because healthcare in the US costs a fortune. A 10ml vial of Novorapid costs $264 in the US. Maybe they'll have sorted it out by then. Or alternatively, I'll have died.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 12:35 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I dunno why I don't just say "me too" to everything AC says, but anyway I suppose technically I arrived before that because I lived in the GTA briefly but I've lived in Calgary since then.

I will never move back to the UK and over the years I've realized that it was actually a far better idea to move here than I thought it was at the time given what has happened since, e.g. Brexit.

Anyway I've met you both personally so there isn't much point commenting further, other than to the comments that people are making about "when I retire I'll move to BC".

I've spent a fair amount of time in BC, personally I think this "I'll retire to BC" thing is a Canadian psychological coping mechanism to get through the winter. There's nothing particularly fantastic about the idea of retiring to BC. Victoria, you're trapped on an island (and being British, why not just move to Plymouth), Vancouver, it rains all the time during the winter which is if anything more depressing than the snow, Kelowna, still gets really cold during the winter and it's very isolated and a bugger to drive anywhere. Anywhere else is small and doesn't have much going on, e.g. Kamloops and Cranbrook. Oh and it's generally more expensive. And catches fire a lot.

I'm not saying I wouldn't move to BC if there was a logical reason for moving there but I can't see how it's any better from a retirement point of view. Driving around mountains all the time in BC would drive me mental.

My personal view is that it's likely at some point that Congress will enact some sort of retirement visa for Canadians so Although even that is overrated imo, mainly because healthcare in the US costs a fortune. A 10ml vial of Novorapid costs $264 in the US. Maybe they'll have sorted it out by then. Or alternatively, I'll have died.
Steve, for once, you are totally right (I can't believe I'm actually writing that ) don't do it.... Please, just don't. Everything that Oink says is true. It is a terrible place to live. TBH, I'm not sure why we ever moved here. What the hell are all those vacationing and retiring Albertans doing moving here? -they must have a screw loose.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Sep 6th 2017 at 2:05 am.