Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Citibank Closed my Credit Card Account

Citibank Closed my Credit Card Account

Old Apr 27th 2021, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Default Citibank Closed my Credit Card Account

Hello,
I have an American Citibank credit card since I was a student there. When I moved to Canada, I gave them my new Canadian address. So, they have this Canadian address for over 8 years with no problems. I kept this card active by using it from time to time for certain things I buy in the US. The last times I used it was in February and March 2021.
  • No default ever in my payments. I always pay the minimum and over 90% of the times, I pay more than the minimum.
  • The balance in the account is $1600, which is only 1/4 of my credit limit.
Two days ago, I wanted to use my card and got denied. So, I called Citicards to inquire only to learn that they closed my account. The excuse they gave was that I have to have an American address. I told them the Canadian address you have is over 8 years in my account..It is not something new, and that I have this card for 15 years and as you can see from account, I always pay...Yet, no satisfying answers.
  • I found it stupid to close a customer's account while they still have to pay you back the balance...
My questions:
1- Is anybody here has a an American CITIBANK credit card while living in Canada and his/her CITI account has a Canadian address.

2- Please share your thoughts what to do especially that by them closing my account, their decision is affecting my credit history in the US. Let's not forget they did not give a damn about 15 years of business relationship, no default whatsoever about payments, Canadian address was on file for so many years with no prob. Why now???

Thank you

Last edited by Yasmina2005; Apr 27th 2021 at 11:26 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2021, 12:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citibank Closed my Credit Card Account

Not citibank but Bank of America and Capital One both cancelled my US cards once they found out I was in Canada, B of A also closed my checking account.
Old Apr 28th 2021, 12:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I do not have a Citibank CC but I do have an US credit card, linked to my US bank account. We have been in Canada for over 7 years and it has not been a problem. New cards are sent to our Canadian address.

Is your CC linked to a US bank account?
Old Apr 28th 2021, 12:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, sorry to read this - I don't have any experience with Citibank, but suggest you read the Cardholder Agreement that applies to the CC you had - you can find it here: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/co...ion?ID=CMA-PIT and see if there is a requirement as they have suggested. The phone number for each card unit is listed too.. it may be worth your while asking to speak with a Supervisor / Manager.

Hopefully another member will have some advice for you..

Was it only a credit card account or did you bank with them as well? Did they send anythiing out to you to notify you they were going to close the account (45/90 day notice) either by email or post? Check whether they have sent something to you that was returned to sender (not known at this address) by Canada post.. banks will close accounts if that happens sometimes.

You will still be liable for the balance, apparently.. https://www.cardrates.com/advice/wha...d-credit-card/

There have been other reports of similar things happening since 2019, but those were people who mainly live in Europe.. it seems strange they would object to a Canadian address, particularly when you have recently used it (so it wasn't closed due to inactivity).
https://www.inc.com/suzanne-lucas/ho...-vacation.html
https://americanexpatfinance.com/new...-card-accounts

This website has some suggestions.. https://www.credit.com/blog/help-my-...ccount-144832/

Old Apr 28th 2021, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Note that Citibank seems to be trimming its consumer credit business outside the US market generally.

Citigroup to exit retail banking in 13 markets

I realize the OP's situation may *seem* different, in that the OP has been a Canadian customer of Citibank's US operation. But I suspect she is being swept up in the same small-country market retreat policy change by Citigroup.

Last edited by abner; Apr 28th 2021 at 7:05 am.
Old Apr 28th 2021, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yasmina2005
Hello,
2- Please share your thoughts what to do especially that by them closing my account, their decision is affecting my credit history in the US. Let's not forget they did not give a damn about 15 years of business relationship, no default whatsoever about payments, Canadian address was on file for so many years with no prob. Why now???

Thank you
Ask them to supply a letter describing the length of the relationship, your payment history, and--in particular--highlighting that their termination of the account represents a line-of-business decision on their part rather than any reflection on your performance as a consumer of a revolving credit facility.

Then follow up with the major credit reporting agencies (Experian, etc.) to see how the event is shown on your file with them.

I don't actually expect you'll have a problem in relation to your US credit rating. You haven't been rejected for credit; rather you've have a credit facility withdrawn through no fault of your own (a general business decision on the part of the lender). So there is no reason for an 'adverse credit event' to be recorded against your name.

But it is worth checking, to confirm that is the case. And it might be worth looking into some replacement US credit card (if you don't have other US credit facilities), to maintain currency on your US credit rating.

Last edited by abner; Apr 28th 2021 at 7:30 am.
Old Apr 29th 2021, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, if a bank wants to close your credit card account, or reduce your credit, there's usually nothing you can do, the agreements you sign allow them to do this at any time they please.

Most banks offer USD credit cards in Canada. There are also no forex fee cards such as Brim and Home Trust Preferred Visa card that let you pay with CAD without any additional exchange rate fee (so you just pay the Visa rate which is usually quite good).
Old Apr 29th 2021, 6:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty Much.

Banks routinely clean accounts up. TD in Canada closed a checking account I had as part of their evaluation of customers and felt they could not provided the services I needed

Basically their way of saying you don't have enough $$ for us to keep you as a customer.

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Unfortunately, if a bank wants to close your credit card account, or reduce your credit, there's usually nothing you can do, the agreements you sign allow them to do this at any time they please.

Most banks offer USD credit cards in Canada. There are also no forex fee cards such as Brim and Home Trust Preferred Visa card that let you pay with CAD without any additional exchange rate fee (so you just pay the Visa rate which is usually quite good).

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 29th 2021 at 6:13 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I do not have a Citibank CC but I do have an US credit card, linked to my US bank account. We have been in Canada for over 7 years and it has not been a problem. New cards are sent to our Canadian address.

Is your CC linked to a US bank account?
No, my CC (Citibank) is not linked to my US bank account (Keybank)
Old Apr 30th 2021, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hi, sorry to read this - I don't have any experience with Citibank, but suggest you read the Cardholder Agreement that applies to the CC you had - you can find it here: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/co...ion?ID=CMA-PIT and see if there is a requirement as they have suggested. The phone number for each card unit is listed too.. it may be worth your while asking to speak with a Supervisor / Manager.

Hopefully another member will have some advice for you..

Was it only a credit card account or did you bank with them as well? Did they send anythiing out to you to notify you they were going to close the account (45/90 day notice) either by email or post? Check whether they have sent something to you that was returned to sender (not known at this address) by Canada post.. banks will close accounts if that happens sometimes.

You will still be liable for the balance, apparently.. https://www.cardrates.com/advice/wha...d-credit-card/

There have been other reports of similar things happening since 2019, but those were people who mainly live in Europe.. it seems strange they would object to a Canadian address, particularly when you have recently used it (so it wasn't closed due to inactivity).
https://www.inc.com/suzanne-lucas/ho...-vacation.html
https://americanexpatfinance.com/new...-card-accounts

This website has some suggestions.. https://www.credit.com/blog/help-my-...ccount-144832/
Thank you very much for your feedback. No, I don't have a bank account with CITI (thanks God). I do however have a US bank account with Keybank (they have my Canadian address).
Old Apr 30th 2021, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by abner
Ask them to supply a letter describing the length of the relationship, your payment history, and--in particular--highlighting that their termination of the account represents a line-of-business decision on their part rather than any reflection on your performance as a consumer of a revolving credit facility.

Then follow up with the major credit reporting agencies (Experian, etc.) to see how the event is shown on your file with them.

I don't actually expect you'll have a problem in relation to your US credit rating. You haven't been rejected for credit; rather you've have a credit facility withdrawn through no fault of your own (a general business decision on the part of the lender). So there is no reason for an 'adverse credit event' to be recorded against your name.

But it is worth checking, to confirm that is the case. And it might be worth looking into some replacement US credit card (if you don't have other US credit facilities), to maintain currency on your US credit rating.
Thank you very much for your feedback.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Pretty Much.

Banks routinely clean accounts up. TD in Canada closed a checking account I had as part of their evaluation of customers and felt they could not provided the services I needed

Basically their way of saying you don't have enough $$ for us to keep you as a customer.
Thank you very much for your feedback. Luckily, I do not have a bank account with them.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy

Thank you very much for your feedback. I don't have a bank account with them. I cannot use my Citibank Credit card but I can access my account online I think only because there is still a balance of $1600 to pay.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by abner
Note that Citibank seems to be trimming its consumer credit business outside the US market generally.

Citigroup to exit retail banking in 13 markets

I realize the OP's situation may *seem* different, in that the OP has been a Canadian customer of Citibank's US operation. But I suspect she is being swept up in the same small-country market retreat policy change by Citigroup.
Oh I see. Thank you very much for your feedback