British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Cineplex open - r u going ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/cineplex-open-r-u-going-939651/)

adrianj Jul 20th 2021 10:16 pm

Cineplex open - r u going ?

I've been craving movies, especially after a fight at home, or just going late night

so..... with AC, enclosed spaces, advanced booking and not knowing who has what

are you going to go... or gone yet ?

BristolUK Jul 21st 2021 12:23 am

Re: Cineplex open - r u going ?

It's no time to die but I will find it hard not to want to go and see no time to die :lol:

caretaker Jul 21st 2021 12:34 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13031492)
It's no time to die but I will find it hard not to want to go and see no time to die :lol:

Go to your room.

Former Lancastrian Jul 21st 2021 12:42 am

When they install smart phone blockers in a cinema then I might decide to go to one. You go to watch a movie not to text, check out Tinder or whatever else they do on their smart phones.

Piff Poff Jul 21st 2021 3:15 am

I've been to the cinema 4 or 5 times in the last 16 years, I don't think they will miss me.

adrianj Jul 21st 2021 3:34 am

at the begining for the trailors but once the film starts, not seen that "too" often, from my own expereinces, people are pretty good

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13031496)
When they install smart phone blockers in a cinema then I might decide to go to one. You go to watch a movie not to text, check out Tinder or whatever else they do on their smart phones.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 21st 2021 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 13031523)
I've been to the cinema 4 or 5 times in the last 16 years, I don't think they will miss me.

I can't remember the last time we went, I want to say it was 2013 when we saw American Hustle with some of Lisa's friends, but I can't be 100%, there might have been another movie or 2 in there but that is the last one I remember.

abner Jul 21st 2021 5:43 am

A movie night at a cinema, especially in Gold Class, is still a good (and cost-effective) 'get-to-know-you' first date for a tentative high-school-age couple. Or so I've been told... :eek:.

It's also not a bad way to rekindle 'date night' for more established couples... :angel:

Shard Jul 21st 2021 9:27 am

Last two movies I saw in the cinema were Parasite and 1917 (both excellent) and it seems like another era. I don't think I am ready to purposely confine myself in an enclosed room with a few hundred other strangers, at least one of which is likely to Covid positive. Flat screen TV's are so decent and large these days that it's not even that much of a gain to see if on the cinema's "big screen". So, no, unless it's outdoors, I won't be going for a while.

Danny B Jul 21st 2021 2:26 pm

We went in August 2020 to watch Tenet, almost had the entire cinema to ourselves, it was great.

Siouxie Jul 21st 2021 4:10 pm

I won't be going in the foreseeable future, I can watch most full length films on a Youtube channel with the odd 2-3 second 'advert' - or on Amazon Prime etc., I don't miss going to the cinema at all.

The last film I watched at a cinema (my first since going to watch District 9 in 2009) was Bohemian Rhapsody at Landmark Cinemas, with recliner seats :)
https://www.landmarkcinemas.com/expe...ecliner-seats/

caretaker Jul 21st 2021 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13031699)
The last film I watched at a cinema (my first since going to watch District 9 in 2009) was Bohemian Rhapsody at Landmark Cinemas,

The last movie I saw in a theatre was Passchendaele in 2008 (which was underwhelming) and the last one before that was All of Me in 1984 (which was very good).

BristolUK Jul 21st 2021 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13031707)
The last movie I saw in a theatre was Passchendaele in 2008 (which was underwhelming) and the last one before that was All of Me in 1984 (which was very good).

I also liked LA Story

Shard Jul 21st 2021 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13031758)

I was just recounting a scene from LA Story yesterday ! Good film.

sharkus Jul 21st 2021 7:46 pm

Cineplex? No. Far, far too overpriced. I'd rather go to our locally owned cinema, film.ca. However, I'm not planning on going to any cinema for a little while.

There's also the fact that big screen releases are appearing at the same time for rent on digital platforms. Take, for example, Black Widow. I believe it was released to Disney Plus as a premium title at the same time as it was released theatrically. The first weekend's take was pretty good - for pandemic times, not pre-pandemic - but the second weekend's take was a lot, lot lower, and it's being said that is likely due to the digital platform side of things. People find it more convenient to watch in their homes, and now they have been given that ability.