Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Cineplex open - r u going ?

Cineplex open - r u going ?

Old Jul 21st 2021, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cineplex open - r u going ?

I don't think the movie theatres will ever be the same, well I know they wont, the studios have pretty much all reached agreements with theatre chains now, and in the US at least gone is the old 70-90 exclusivity the theatres had, and now its anywhere from on demand same time, or only a 17-30 day exclusivity depending on studio and theatre chain involved.

I still wait the 2-3 months though since the price for new releases is like $20-$25 on Shaw it seems, but wait a month or 2, and it comes down to the $6.99.

Originally Posted by sharkus
Cineplex? No. Far, far too overpriced. I'd rather go to our locally owned cinema, film.ca. However, I'm not planning on going to any cinema for a little while.

There's also the fact that big screen releases are appearing at the same time for rent on digital platforms. Take, for example, Black Widow. I believe it was released to Disney Plus as a premium title at the same time as it was released theatrically. The first weekend's take was pretty good - for pandemic times, not pre-pandemic - but the second weekend's take was a lot, lot lower, and it's being said that is likely due to the digital platform side of things. People find it more convenient to watch in their homes, and now they have been given that ability.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 12:01 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Last two movies I saw in the cinema were Parasite and 1917 (both excellent) and it seems like another era. I don't think I am ready to purposely confine myself in an enclosed room with a few hundred other strangers, at least one of which is likely to Covid positive. Flat screen TV's are so decent and large these days that it's not even that much of a gain to see if on the cinema's "big screen". So, no, unless it's outdoors, I won't be going for a while.
I think those are quite probably the last 2 movies I saw at the cinema too. (Parasite was excellent but 1917 was rubbish ) I'm really keen to get back to the cinema. I've happily sat in pubs and restaurants post-lockdown so don't see any difference with the cinema.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 2:08 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I think those are quite probably the last 2 movies I saw at the cinema too. (Parasite was excellent but 1917 was rubbish ) I'm really keen to get back to the cinema. I've happily sat in pubs and restaurants post-lockdown so don't see any difference with the cinema.
Not a big fan of the war film genre, but I thought 1917 was very good. Why Rubbish?

Probably not a huge difference in transmission risk between a busy restaurant and a busy cinema (if it were an empty cinema as Danny experienced, less an issue).
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

My 75" living room TV was $1000 (before taxes) at Costco. Honestly big TVs are so much cheaper than they used to be I have little interest in going out to see a movie anymore.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 6:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
My 75" living room TV was $1000 (before taxes) at Costco. Honestly big TVs are so much cheaper than they used to be I have little interest in going out to see a movie anymore.
I looked at a 75" while browsing Best Buy last year, quickly realized there isn't enough space between wall and bed for such a massive TV, too big to be too close to. 55" $300 Wal-Mart special is almost too big for an apartment.

One thing I do like about theatres is the sound, just can't recreate that sound in an apartment, unless you want upset and annoyed neighbors.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 6:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
My 75" living room TV....

That must be like sitting in the cinema itself. We have 32" screens but I really only watch football and rugby on one. I mostly view stuff on my laptop now and I don't feel I'm missing out.

I've always considered the cinema to be worth it for 'the spectacular' but I've gasped at Mission Impossible and James Bond stunts on the laptop just as I have in the cinema so I'm not so sure now.
Old Jul 28th 2021, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, as soon as No time to Die is out, I'll be there. I've been to pubs all along (when rules allowed it) so I don't see the cinema much different.... I have done my part, I have diligently followed all the rules, and I am also now double vaccinated. So now I am keen to return to as near normal as is possible, as soon as I can.

Some movies (such as Bond movies) just have to be watched on the big screen... plus I enjoy the experience, I want to be out, not stuck at home, certainly had enough of that work and play.
Old Jul 28th 2021, 12:40 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Yes, as soon as No time to Die is out, I'll be there. I've been to pubs all along (when rules allowed it) so I don't see the cinema much different.... I have done my part, I have diligently followed all the rules, and I am also now double vaccinated. So now I am keen to return to as near normal as is possible, as soon as I can.

Some movies (such as Bond movies) just have to be watched on the big screen... plus I enjoy the experience, I want to be out, not stuck at home, certainly had enough of that work and play.
If you are double vax and others are double vax, should be no problem. Even if others are not and transmit the virus, impact on you should be low (providing you're not one of the unlucky 1:10 for whom the vax is ineffective).
Old Jul 28th 2021, 2:46 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
If you are double vax and others are double vax, should be no problem. Even if others are not and transmit the virus, impact on you should be low (providing you're not one of the unlucky 1:10 for whom the vax is ineffective).
Double vax, that was so last week. Now there's talk of triple vax.
Personally I wouldn't leave home without 3 pfizer, 1 AZ, 1 Johnson & Johnson, and a sputnik for good measure.
Old Jul 28th 2021, 2:47 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Danny B
Personally I wouldn't leave home without 3 pfizer, 1 AZ, 1 Johnson & Johnson, and a sputnik for good measure.
LOL. Don't forget your HAZMAT suit, and given your location, make sure it's fire proof too !
Old Jul 28th 2021, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B

Heavy sigh...... we will never be free from its clutches.....