British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Christmas Tree Watch 2010 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/christmas-tree-watch-2010-a-692198/)

Jingsamichty Nov 4th 2010 1:20 pm

Christmas Tree Watch 2010

Shops are beginning to fill with Christmas items... the first TV adverts with sleighbells and snowflakes have started appearing... but who will be first to spot Real Christmas Decorations at a private house? Surely it can only be any day now?

Karma to the first posted pic of real 2010 house Christmas decorations!

fledermaus Nov 4th 2010 1:24 pm

Re: Christmas Tree Watch 2010

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 8961317)
Shops are beginning to fill with Christmas items... the first TV adverts with sleighbells and snowflakes have started appearing... but who will be first to spot Real Christmas Decorations at a private house? Surely it can only be any day now?

Damn, private houses only?? The local fancy dress town has had it's decorations up and lit since last week. Does that count for anything?

Tangram Nov 4th 2010 1:29 pm

Nothing should go up before remembrance day in my opinion.

iaink Nov 4th 2010 2:18 pm

Swiss Chalet has the "festive special" on the menu already. I was tempted, but I agree with Tangram that Rememberance day should be past at least before getting into the Festive season. I think my Santa Clause parade season starts on the 19th Nov, but there might be one before then:eek:

dbd33 Nov 4th 2010 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 8961337)
Nothing should go up before remembrance day in my opinion.

After Thanksgiving keeps it to a reasonable duration.

Steve_P Nov 4th 2010 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8961454)

Obviously you mean U.S. Thanksgiving.:sneaky:

iaink Nov 4th 2010 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8961454)

"Proper" thanksgiving, not "local" thanksgiving presumably.

el_richo Nov 4th 2010 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8961463)
"Proper" thanksgiving, not "local" thanksgiving presumably.

Harvest Festival?

Hobbess Nov 4th 2010 3:23 pm

Starbucks coffee this morning in festive cup

Lights are up on a house on 14th st in North Calgary, were lit up on Monday at 6.45am when we drove by.

Jingsamichty Nov 4th 2010 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Hobbess (Post 8961558)
Lights are up on a house on 14th st in North Calgary, were lit up on Monday at 6.45am when we drove by.

Chavtastic!

Pics please...

mattieuk Nov 4th 2010 4:15 pm

I've got my small artificial tree up in the flat - the missus got it out from under the stairs at the same time as putting Halloween stuff away. No pictures though :p

Haven't 'turned the lights on' yet though, other than to test them. Have already got a christmas present though to give to the lady's mum - the earliest I've ever possesed such an item!

Tuppence Nov 4th 2010 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Hobbess (Post 8961558)
Starbucks coffee this morning in festive cup

Starbucks in downtown TO this morning, had decorated Christmas stockings on the wall, and staff dressed in either elf or santa fancy dress outfits. Wrong. So very wrong :thumbdown:

Steve&Tanya Nov 4th 2010 6:18 pm

NO picture - yet, but saw the first fully decked out Xmas house on Tuesday!!!!!!

ann m Nov 4th 2010 7:00 pm

My girls were trick-or-treating on Sunday and one of the houses in our road is fully decorated with candy canes going up the stairs and a tree up.

(Sorry, no photos).

Wrong!

kimkerly Nov 4th 2010 7:06 pm

There is a house just outside Aberdeen here in Scotland, that has the full works already!! :huh: