Christmas recipes

Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas recipes

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
The easiest and most dead cert way to win friends

Sherry Log

1 packet chocolate chip cookies
2 packets of dream topping (not sure if you can get this out here)
1 bottle sherry (Bristol Cream or such like tho port is good too)
3 Cadbury Flakes.

Beat the cream into a thick mixture and put in a bowl in the fridge for an hour.

Pour some sherry into a shallow dish.

Open the cookies and then dip a cookie each side in the sherry til full (but not soggy)

Get another cookie and do the same and stick them together using a big blob of cream.

Repeat until the whole packet of cookies is soaked in sherry and stuck together with cream.

Spread the remainder of the cream all over the cookie log and crumble loads of Cadbury Flake all over the top.

Put some holly or other festive adornment on it, put in the fridge for a bit, JOB DONE.

Trust me this has to be the tastiest and easiest desert i've ever done (i'm going to make one for o/h work lunch next friday)!!!
I remember doing something similar with digestive biscuits, cream, cocoa and sherry. The chocchip cookies sound a much better idea as the digestives were tricky to get the right balance between dunked enough and too soggy. Saves having to dust each layer with cocoa too, or i suppose you could do that as well.

Thanks for the reminder. I will try your version.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
Christmas chutney – Nigella Lawson

Quantity for 4 x 250ml (7fl oz) jars

700g (1lb 9oz) Granny Smith apples
250g (9oz) dried cranberries
1 onion, finely chopped
350ml (12fl oz) apple cider vinegar
200g (7oz) sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons coarse salt.

Peel and core the apples, then cut into small pieces (roughly ½ cm)

Put apple pieces and finely chopped onion into a saucepan with all the other ingredients and cook on a fast simmer for 45 minutes or until the mixture has thickened slightly and the fruit is soft.

Spoon into *sterilised jars and screw on the lids. Allow to cool before storing in a cool, dark place.

* Nigella suggests sterilising jars by placing them on a kitchen towel-lined oven tray and baking them in the oven for 10 minutes at 160C (320F). allow to cool slightly before filling with chutney.

This is AWESOME! Thanks!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 11:34 am
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

here is a recipe sent to me by an old aunt

1 full cup of love
1/2 c. will power,packed firm
3 oz.determination
A dash of flexibility
1 lg.head understanding
A few leaves of awareness
(fresh if possible)
i/2 1b.pride,cut into small portions
1 lb.humility
A sprinkling of common sense
A pinch of adventure
1 full(8oz) can foresight
A hint of hindsight
A few springs of humor
seasoned to taste
saute love and understanding until tender. mix well and continue cooking gently. In a large bowl,blend will power and determination well to avoid procrastination,adding a dash of flexiblity to accomodate life's delicate variations. Fold in a few leaves of awareness (more, if you savor knowledge) set aside to rise and expand its flavor throughout the days

In a separate bowl,combine pride,whisked lightly with humility. pour in common sense and sprinkle lightly with adventure.set oven with foresight for each new day, but hindsight just enough to profit from the old. season entire mixture with humor. bake for twenty-four hours,testing often,and adjusting to the wonders of each new day
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

Just made some butter tarts for the first time in my life - doin' Christmas this year like a Canadian.

This is the recipe from our next door neighbour - I spent last year taste testing everyone's (everyone has got their own version of course ) and I think this is the best of the ones I tried (apparently the only one with cream in so perhaps that's what makes the difference):

1/3 cup butter (softened)
1 cup brown sugar
2 tblsps cream
1/4 cup currents (or saltanas as currents seem to be trickier to get hold of here)
1/4 cup of raisins
1 beaten egg
1tsp vanilla essence

Beat it all together really well (until foamy) and spoon into 18 - 24 pre-bought small tart shells (or make them first if you can be bothered).

The mixture is very sweet so if you like lots of sweetness only make 18 - if you like just a touch of sweetness with the pastry, make 24.

Cook at 450 for 8 minutes and then turn down to 350 and continue to cook until done (which means pastry is golden brown and mixture is bubbling and puffy). As they cool the mixture will deflate - don't worry that's meant to happen.

Enjoy (I'm currently eating my 3rd one with my coffee!)
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 9:39 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

This is probably a bit late for this year as a proper pud needs to mature - we'll be eating last years ones this year.

This recipe makes either 4 medium or 1 large and 2 small.

8oz self raising flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 grated nutmeg
1tsp mixed spice
12oz fresh white breadcrumbs
12oz beef suet
1 lb demerara sugar
1 lb currants
1 lb sultanas
2 lbs raisins (stoned)
4oz canded peel (I add more dried fruit as I don't like candied peel)
2 tbls almonds (blanched and shredded)
1 large cooking apple (peeled and grated (I use two granny's)
rind and juice of one orange
1/4 pint milk/ale or stout - I use rum or brandy or both and usually a bit more than suggested

Well grease basins; have ready a fish kettle or sufficient large saucepans with boiling water.

Sift flour with salt and spices, add dry ingredients and grated apple, mix well.

Beat eggs until frothy, add orange juice, milk/ale or stout, stir well and turn into basins.

Butter a large round of greaseproof paper for each basin. Cut a piece of foil to same size. Put both rounds together, foil uppermost, fold across centre to form a 1 inch pleat and lay over basins with butter side to pudding mixture. Tie with string with a loop for easy removal. Boil steadily for 6 hours (large pud) 4 hours (small pud). Replace foil and butter greaseproof and store in a dry cupbaord.

Watchpoint It is important that the puds do not go off the boil, when ready to serve at Christmas, boil or steam for a further 2 hours.

The oldest pud using this recipe that we have eaten was 7 years old and was scrummy.

I have a mincemeat recipe too, which I will make for the 1st time next year if anyone would like that.

I used this pud recipe for small puds to give away last year and got about 12 little puds that would serve 4 people with no left overs.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
here it is:
Christmas Pie

ingredients
1 tablespoon oil for frying
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
4 slices smoked streaky bacon, chopped or, 50 g smoked lardons
500g pork sausagemeat or skinned pork sausages
1 lemon, zest of, grated
1 orange, zest of, grated
100g fresh breadcrumbs (I think the original recipe said brown but we used white yesterday as we happened to have a not-too-fresh loaf in the breadbin…)
75g ready-to-eat dried apricots, chopped
50g fresh cooked peeled chestnuts or canned chestnuts or vacuum-packed chestnuts, chopped (optional, but v good IMHO)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
100g fresh cranberries or frozen cranberries
500g boneless skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
500g shortcrust pastry
beaten eggs, to glaze

method
  1. Heat oven to 190C/375F/gas 5. Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a frying pan, add the onion and the bacon (if using), then fry for about 5 mins until the onion is softened and the bacon browned. Allow to cool slightly.
  2. Tip the sausagemeat, lemon and orange zest, breadcrumbs, apricots, chestnuts (if using) and thyme into a bowl.
  3. Add the onion, bacon and cranberries, then mix everything together with your hands, adding plenty of pepper and a little salt to taste.
  4. Cut each chicken breast into three or four fillets lengthwise and season all over with salt and pepper. Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan, and fry the chicken fillets quickly until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
  5. Roll out two-thirds of the pastry to line a 20-23cm springform or deep loose-based tart tin. Press half of the sausage mix onto the pastry and spread to level. Then add the chicken pieces in one layer and cover with the rest of the sausage. Press down lightly.
  6. Roll out the remaining pastry. Brush the edges of the pastry with beaten egg and cover with the pastry lid. Pinch the edges to seal, then trim.
  7. Brush the top of the pie with egg, then roll out the trimmings to make holly leaf shapes and berries. Decorate the pie and brush again with egg.
  8. Set the tin on a baking sheet and bake for 50-60 mins, then cool in the tin for 15 minutes. Remove the pie from the tin, and leave to cool slightly. Serve warm or cold with a winter salads, chutneys, relishes and pickles.
Well Oakvillian, thank you very much for posting this recipe. Today we made it and it is as delicious as you described.
Attached Thumbnails Christmas recipes-christmas-2007-029.jpg   Christmas recipes-christmas-2007-040.jpg  
Old Dec 28th 2007, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Boy - I missed the first description of the pie but that sure looks delicious. I have saved the recipe and will give it a try - maybe for NY Day.

So, Oakvillian - where did this pie originate? Sorry if the story was on here before - I didn't see it.

Liz
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:32 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
Boy - I missed the first description of the pie but that sure looks delicious. I have saved the recipe and will give it a try - maybe for NY Day.

So, Oakvillian - where did this pie originate? Sorry if the story was on here before - I didn't see it.

Liz
only just seen your question, Liz... I can't remember exactly, but I'm reasonably sure it was in a BBC Good Food magazine that the OH had at Christmas time a few years ago, probably 2004 - if it wasn't there it may have been a Canadian Living one that her mum sent over. It definitely came out of a magazine of some sort originally, but it now only exists as a card-index card in a box of recipes!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:14 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
only just seen your question, Liz... I can't remember exactly, but I'm reasonably sure it was in a BBC Good Food magazine that the OH had at Christmas time a few years ago, probably 2004 - if it wasn't there it may have been a Canadian Living one that her mum sent over. It definitely came out of a magazine of some sort originally, but it now only exists as a card-index card in a box of recipes!
I made it to take to a pot-luck just before Christmas and it was very popular (I did manage to get a piece)

Thanks again Oakvillian