childrens car seats

Old Sep 13th 2006, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

zannahb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default childrens car seats

hi, we are hoping to move at around the end of november to London, Ontario. I have recently bought my two kids new car seats and would like to take them with us. Is this feasible to take them on the plane? we will be renting a car when we arrive so do they provide them and if so is there an extra charge. What are canadian laws on kids and car seats. would we be better to get new over there? many thanks
Old Sep 13th 2006, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: childrens car seats

Are you moving to Canada, or just visiting?

Some airlines only allow seats to be used that have the relevant FAA/CAA sticker on them, others don't care. Check with your airline. You can certainly put them in the hold if you don't want to use them on the plane, no problem.

Foreign car seats will void your insurance if you have a crash - and I think someone on here recently got a police ticket for using a non-compliant UK seat. I think seats here rely far more on the tether (strap going over back seat that hooks into fixed point in the boot) than on the seatbelt as they do in the UK. My UK one had a far more complex seatbelt routing system than here, I just wouldn't feel confident using the one in the other country.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Sep 13th 2006 at 2:14 pm. Reason: typo
Old Sep 13th 2006, 2:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

In ontario kids need to be in car seats or boosters till they are 8 years or 80lbs

However, technically seats here have a Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS) (or equivalent US) sticker, which UK ones do not. I doubt its a real concern, but might be an issue if you need to make an insurance claim (you know what bastards insurance companies can be)

Heres a link for ontario
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/050831-1.htm

I just bought a 40-100lb seat / booster. Cost $100 here. People talk about the better quality of UK ones, but frankly, the ones here do the job anyway.

5 to 100 lb seats (alpha-omega) start at about $150 at Walmart (plus taxes of course)

Last edited by iaink; Sep 13th 2006 at 2:19 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

zannahb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Are you moving to Canada, or just visiting?

Some airlines only allow seats to be used that have the relevant FAA/CAA sticker on them, others don't care. Check with your airline. You can certainly put them in the hold if you don't want to use them on the plane, no problem.

Foreign car seats will void your insurance if you have a crash - and I think someone on here recently got a police ticket for using a non-compliant UK seat. I think seats here rely far more on the tether (strap going over back seat that hooks into fixed point in the boot) than on the seatbelt as they do in the UK. My UK one had a far more complex seatbelt routing system than here, I just wouldn't feel confident using the one in the other country.
Thankyou. As far as insurance then goes it would be better for us to buy new there do car rentals automatically have car seats if requested ?
Old Sep 14th 2006, 10:49 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by zannahb
Thankyou. As far as insurance then goes it would be better for us to buy new there do car rentals automatically have car seats if requested ?
When you rent, tick the box that says you want car seats. If think they're about 8$CAD per day per seat + tax.