Chicago...

Old Jul 30th 2019, 6:13 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chicago...

Every now and again I read something that simply hits a raw nerve.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49158979
This story is one of them. It had me shaking my head wondering what kind of animal does such things.
But this event was apparently one of many. " Authorities say 48 people were shot in Chicago over the weekend, with eight fatalities."
I'm tempted to wonder why the US engages itself in so many wars across the planet and why politicians vilify so many foreigners when the real enemy is US society itself.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 9:35 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago...

I had just finished reading that...it is truly horrific. How could this happen? When the gentleman who was also grazed by a bullet, said that older people can’t sit outside and kids can’t play in the street one wonders where the shooters might live and if they have any family, old or young, that they can have any form of regard for.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago...

Horrible story. Chicago does have a pretty bad rep for that kind of thing unfortunately.

US society is simply the end result of the "I've got mine" mentality, believing that criminals are just people who have chose to lead that life, not victims of poverty, desperation and a lifetime of trauma and abuse. As you mention, what kind of animal does this - think about the mental state those gunman would have to be in to normalize and justify gunning down those innocent people. To end up as the kind of person who commits such a heinous act they must have led a terrible life themselves.

Until the US starts investing back into it's people, with more social programs, mental health care, welfare and so on, things will not change. Just calling people evil and locking them up doesn't work.

In Canada society seems to recognize it's better to pay a bit more tax and have someone who's struggling get help from the state, instead of telling them to fend for themselves and waiting for them to fall through the cracks, though even here we can still do much more.