Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Cheapish, used, small, 4x4 recommendations?

Cheapish, used, small, 4x4 recommendations?

Old Dec 3rd 2012, 1:48 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapish, used, small, 4x4 recommendations?

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
If i was buying a a small 4x4 i would go for a jeep..more to choose from..Patriot/Compass/Liberty/Wrangler and they are cheaper than the Escape..

I am still thinking of Changing my Edge maybe for the Grand Cherokee any thoughts on that?
Do you know a good Chiropractor, and a tame mechanic?

If the answer is no to either then give the Jeeps a miss.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:52 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

I have a Jeep Patriot. It's lovely, but then it's only the 2WD version. No need for a charlatan and though the mechanic is relatively tame we haven't had to use him for other than the usual stuff.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:01 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I have a Jeep Patriot. It's lovely, but then it's only the 2WD version. No need for a charlatan and though the mechanic is relatively tame we haven't had to use him for other than the usual stuff.
I wish my buddy Kelly could say the same.... Absolutely nothing but trouble from his Patriot

I had a jeep (cherokee) when I first arrived, and although it never went wrong in the 2 years I had it, the rear window on one side never ever closed properly, it drove like a truck ,which was fun for a while, but wearing on long road trips, and it was horrible on gas compared to its replacements.

Even in the snow it was of mixed benefit as with the manual 4x4 transaxle it was never entirely clear when it was slipery enouigh to have it in 4x4 mode without risking damaging the transmission. Certainly not as seamless as AWD on demand systems, but ideal for taking off road, which with a new leased vehicle I never did of course
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:24 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i was thinking a new Jeep not a used one..but then im very choosy..i still want my Audi quattro but cant justify the price
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:31 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I wish my buddy Kelly could say the same.... Absolutely nothing but trouble from his Patriot

I had a jeep (cherokee) when I first arrived, and although it never went wrong in the 2 years I had it, the rear window on one side never ever closed properly, it drove like a truck ,which was fun for a while, but wearing on long road trips, and it was horrible on gas compared to its replacements.

Even in the snow it was of mixed benefit as with the manual 4x4 transaxle it was never entirely clear when it was slipery enouigh to have it in 4x4 mode without risking damaging the transmission. Certainly not as seamless as AWD on demand systems, but ideal for taking off road, which with a new leased vehicle I never did of course
The Patriot is relatively good on gas and comfy for long drives. It drives well, certainly much better than the scabby Saturn we used to have. I like that I can use gears as well as auto, (CVT?) had to use these to get up and down a wet dirt road. Touch wood, no problems with it.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:36 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

i was thinking a new Jeep not a used one..but then im very choosy..i still want my Audi quattro but cant justify the price
Kellys was a new jeep They dont have the best reputation.

If you want an Audi wannabe then head to the Subaru lot. Maybe not as nice on the inside, but at least as good to drive and perhaps better engineered for less money.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:41 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Kellys was a new jeep They dont have the best reputation.

If you want an Audi wannabe then head to the Subaru lot. Maybe not as nice on the inside, but at least as good to drive and perhaps better engineered for less money.
maybe but then Subarus look like a bag of spanners
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:45 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

maybe but then Subarus look like a bag of spanners
Yup, they peaked with the 06-09 4th gen wagon.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 3rd 2012 at 3:48 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:57 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

If i was buying a a small 4x4 i would go for a jeep..more to choose from..Patriot/Compass/Liberty/Wrangler and they are cheaper than the Escape..

I am still thinking of Changing my Edge maybe for the Grand Cherokee any thoughts on that?
We've had a couple of Grand (and otherwise) Cherokee's of differing vintage and models, the bigger engined ones are gas guzzlers, we would have another one if the opportunity would present itself (i.e. cheap as chips for make and model and year lol). The only 4x4 that we have had that I would be wary of in the future would be a Durango.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:05 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

These look ok on first glance (and still around half the price of a nice Audi):

http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?We...WebSiteID=282#

Yup, they peaked with the 06-09 4th gen wagon.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
These look ok on first glance (and still around half the price of a nice Audi):

http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?We...WebSiteID=282#
The designer must surely be a contender for this year's Aztek award for achievement by a blind vehicle stylist.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 5:03 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Please never again remind me of the Pontiac Aztek. If anyone, ever, reminds me of that car, carbuncle, I will likely fork one of my eyeballs out

Originally Posted by dbd33
The designer must surely be a contender for this year's Aztek award for achievement by a blind vehicle stylist.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 5:19 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Wrong Subaru. I'd take one of these over an Audi anyday.

And I don't know anyone who has anything good to say about Jeep's, the new ones seem to be prone to computer chip problems - just what I heard.
Attached Thumbnails Cheapish, used, small, 4x4 recommendations?-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti.jpg  
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 7:12 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
My Liberty was an older one and a manual too, it was amazing in the snow, cheap on gas and absolutely no trouble at all.
As my sig says..."YMMV" but the gas liberty's are well known for being thirsty. I used to burn around 16l per 100km which is almost full size truck SUV territory. That was an 04. The 06 diesel was a lot better but still ate suspension components, drivetrain components etc. I took the precaution of leasing it for the 3 years of the warranty and gave it back just as it started to fall apart again.

It was OK in the snow - having both full time and part time 4x4 - if a little twitchy due to the shortish wheelbase. It was also passably good offroad. I have idly toyed with getting a Wrangler Unlimited as a replacement for my Suzuki as I like proper 4x4's and don't drive that far. Thirsty though and the reliability would still be a worry. A Nissan Xterra would probably be a better bet but I'm not fussed on the styling.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 7:48 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
Honda CR-V possibly?

i'm on the biased side because i love Hondas i've got a Ridgeline just now and its pretty good...just lacks power!
Originally Posted by JonboyE
Me too. Our CRV is a '99. We've had it from new and 300k is rapidly approaching. It has never needed more than routine servicing.
I am also a Honda fan.
I had the smaller version, the HRV, in the UK. It was an automatic and was 4X4 only when needed,so it was very economical on petrol.

It was the best car I have ever had!

It was really reliable, never broke down or failed to start and was cheap to service.
There is such a lot of room in the back when the seats are down and yet it is comfortable for four people with still good luggage space left over. I have long legs and the driving position was great for me!

It is really quite compact to park and was easy to reverse into my rather small garage, no problem. The visibility in it is great but it doesn't look like a Postman Pat van like my friend's car!
I loved my HRV and was gutted to have to part with it when I moved over here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.