Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Which channels on Eastlink

Which channels on Eastlink

Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future
Default Which channels on Eastlink

We get internet and phone from Eastlink, but no TV as its crap, I did an auto tune expecting to get CBC but nothing else (as I'm told everyone should get CBC), the result is that we've got about 14 channels (Treehouse, Golf Channel, TSN, Shopping Channel, PBS Kids, Comedy Channel, Star, a couple of musc channels and a couple of french channels)

But there is no CBC, well there is french CBC but no English one.
Surely I should get CBC shouldnt I?

I'm tempted to phone Eastlink, but I dont want to lose what I do have just to get CBC.

So does anyone know what TV you should get even if you arent paying Eastlink a penny?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:21 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which channels on Eastlink

As far as I'm aware, there should be a trap (or filter) installed to filter out all the analogue channels you're not subscribed to. The filter should have been installed by the cable installation guy when he originally installed or activated your Eastlink package.

Although I've not seen one of these devices, I understand they're relatively simple units that are wired into the box outside the house (where the cable connects to the house from the pole).

I wonder if your filter is either faulty or wasn't installed correctly?

Originally Posted by Sockdogg

So does anyone know what TV you should get even if you arent paying Eastlink a penny?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

All Cable company supposedly give you free cable for a month. Rogers do it. The leave switch on and you get Basic cable.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

shame theres no way to get free cable like back home
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

shame theres no way to get free cable like back home
What you get is the free stuff. Basic cable is only 30 bucks a month, That is like 12 quid. Come on it is not that much.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Hiekel_Essterol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
What you get is the free stuff. Basic cable is only 30 bucks a month, That is like 12 quid. Come on it is not that much.
Not quite, its more like £17.55 at the moment.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hiekel_Essterol
Not quite, its more like £17.55 at the moment.

That is still not much.....Hardly e-nuff to brake the bank....
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

No its not that much, but the quality of the TV here is terrible, and lets not even mention the amount of ads! Bit Torrent anyone?

I wanted CBC to watch the hockey, and that isnt worth $30/month.

And when I said about free cable back home I mean the dodgy boxes you can get from certain places
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Hiekel_Essterol is an unknown quantity at this point

No its not that much, but the quality of the TV here is terrible, and lets not even mention the amount of ads! Bit Torrent anyone?

I wanted CBC to watch the hockey, and that isnt worth $30/month.

And when I said about free cable back home I mean the dodgy boxes you can get from certain places
Dont like them boxes. They are the reason my cable bill is so much per month.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

The reason your bill is so high is the cable companies have terrible subscription models.

If there was a subscription model where I pay per channel then great, I dont want a package where I pay for 10 channels that are of no interest to me just for the one channel I want to watch.

I'm sure many more people would prefer this system, and also channels that have bad quality TV would die off as nobody would pay for them.

Last edited by Sockdogg; Oct 5th 2009 at 6:14 pm.