Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Old Nov 23rd 2018, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

I would never be able to type without seeing the key board, and I have never been able to type the way they teach. I use the same 3 fingers and move my hands as needed, works for me. If I place my hands and fingers where your supposed to and place fingers where your supposed to, I am a lot slower.

Looking at wages medical lab assistant seems okay if you can get a job in a hospital, the community labs the pay doesn't seem that grand.

This job pay well 30-38/hr not bad for under 2 years of training. Hard pre-requisites though but might help someone and until today, never heard of this job. (been looking at current openings at Vancouver Health Authority to see if there any sort of job that might only need short term education/training.)

https://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/576bdipma#entry

It's really tricky trying to figure out what kinds of jobs A) Pay well and B) dont require one to be super smart A student.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 23rd 2018 at 9:39 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 9:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

School Bus Driver

Change your name to Otto and apply. Free training given.

Old Nov 23rd 2018, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
School Bus Driver

Change your name to Otto and apply. Free training given.

Transit drivers make more....lol
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 11:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Transit drivers make more....lol
I was thinking, from what you say, that you'd be better with kids. They won't complain about the price of fares, timetable etc
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was thinking, from what you say, that you'd be better with kids. They won't complain about the price of fares, timetable etc
A bus full of kids, oh boy that would be difficult to handle.....lol
Old Nov 24th 2018, 1:33 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
A bus full of kids, oh boy that would be difficult to handle.....lol
Well behaved Canadian kids

And if they do misbehave there's always this

Old Nov 24th 2018, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well behaved Canadian kids

And if they do misbehave there's always this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzDz8MGbces

ha ha

Would be so much easier if I had been born with some sort of talent. Or healthy, that would have made a difference in how life turned out....

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 24th 2018 at 3:12 am.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Anyone know of the legit work from home medical transcription jobs? I found one in the US, but not qualified. Something another poster mentioned a few days ago, I just am not having luck finding out who the companies are that offer that type of work, a lot of articles and blogs but no luck finding actual companies who pay for such work.

Well I found one in the US, they wont hire without experience and training though, the other poster made it seem like there might be companies out there with less requirements, but not sure.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 6:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian View Post
The Intelligence Corps of the Army required everyone to pass a typing test. To ensure no one cheated, when taking the test they gave you a completely blank keyboard. They wanted to ensure that you knew which keys to press to achieve your objective.
That's exactly how I learned typing back in the day. I went to a high school that offered office skills and I took typing, stenography, business law, basic accounting/bookkeeping and normal high school classes.

At last testing on an electric typewriter (guess the number of years ago that was), I clocked 108 wpm. Have gotten a lot faster with using a keyboard and a computer.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 6:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

From a google search of medical transcriptionists in Canada.

https://www.google.com/search?source...31.y5Gg7xi2iDY
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
From a google search of medical transcriptionists in Canada.

https://www.google.com/search?source...31.y5Gg7xi2iDY
Maybe there is no work from home like Dorothy has in Australia, everything I find is work from an office and requires more education then I have, maybe I misunderstood what she was talking about which is possible.

Found a couple that do at home, but only looking for bilingual French-English at the moment.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 24th 2018 at 7:45 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
That's exactly how I learned typing back in the day. I went to a high school that offered office skills and I took typing, stenography, business law, basic accounting/bookkeeping and normal high school classes.

At last testing on an electric typewriter (guess the number of years ago that was), I clocked 108 wpm. Have gotten a lot faster with using a keyboard and a computer.
I also clocked over 100 wpm..IBM golf ball typewriter.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:56 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly View Post
We weren't allowed to learn shorthand and typing if we were in the academic stream at school because we "would never need to know."

Least helpful advice I was ever given!!
Exactly the same here and I agree.

I decided to go to an after work hours typing class twice a week. Didn't finish the course mind you but still learnt enough to be able to utilise what skill I did attain.

When MR - severely dyslexic - BEVS felt it would be helpful if he could type a little bit , we used Mavis Beacon to help with that.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:58 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I also clocked over 100 wpm..IBM golf ball typewriter.
I can type Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party. at incredible speed! Should the need ever arise....
In school we used big old SC standards that weren't speed demons; later I owned an Olympia Report Deluxe that was nice, but tended to machine-gun if not careful.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think I was one of the few in high school who used a type writer for typed reports, seemed most everyone else had a work processor or computer. (I was in high school from 1993 to 1997) but my dad wasn't keen on owning a computer.

It was a very basic type writer and I hated using it.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.