Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Old Nov 13th 2018, 7:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing work & toil direction as mature adults. - A discussion.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
A lot of these industrial areas are not compatible with transit or have limited transit service.
If the timings are not right there's not much that can be done - unless you get your scooter back - but where the times are okay and the issue is the bus not going as far as you need, do your buses have bike racks like ours?

Old Nov 15th 2018, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
If the timings are not right there's not much that can be done - unless you get your scooter back - but where the times are okay and the issue is the bus not going as far as you need, do your buses have bike racks like ours?
That takes me back to a time about 30 years ago when I worked in downtown Edmonton on a 4 pm to midnight shift. I lived in a high-rise downtown about a kilometer away, so I walked to and from work.
I had moved downtown after a divorce and because of various financial obligations I got rid of my car.
Then my manager decided that I should take on a 8 pm to 4 am shift at our south side printing plant about 9 kilometers away from home. This was in an industrial area, so bus service was non existence at those hours.
So i got myself a cheap racing bicycle and for 6 months did that 18 kilometer commute.
Thankfully I resumed working downtown before winter set in.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I think most if not all of the buses have room for 2 bikes up front. I believe most of the day the trains also allow bikes. ( I think there is a restriction on bikes on the trains during peak rush hour times though.)
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

The point originally was not to look for a job and any old job, I have a job (just on medical leave thus no income from it) and no reason to leave it to work in say a warehouse for the same wage knowing I will loath warehouse work. The point was trying to figure out what kind of non-physical job that pays well enough to lead to a decent quality of life with some freedom to do things we enjoy.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 8:14 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

The point originally was not to look for a job and any old job, I have a job (just on medical leave thus no income from it) and no reason to leave it to work in say a warehouse for the same wage knowing I will loath warehouse work. The point was trying to figure out what kind of non-physical job that pays well enough to lead to a decent quality of life with some freedom to do things we enjoy.
I remember a while ago recommending medical transcription. I even offered my medical terminology books to you. A friend of mine works about 7 hours a day on her own schedule and makes about $50k AUD. She claims part of her mortgage (although I'm sure rent would be the same), her internet and her computer on her taxes as work expenses. If you can type 40+ wpm (more is better - you make more money) then there are companies wjo will pay. If you're not interested in medical there are companies who.pay for meeting minutes, or transcripts , or legal documents.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
I remember a while ago recommending medical transcription. I even offered my medical terminology books to you. A friend of mine works about 7 hours a day on her own schedule and makes about $50k AUD. She claims part of her mortgage (although I'm sure rent would be the same), her internet and her computer on her taxes as work expenses. If you can type 40+ wpm (more is better - you make more money) then there are companies wjo will pay. If you're not interested in medical there are companies who.pay for meeting minutes, or transcripts , or legal documents.
Names of companies that dont require any experience and training in such a field to do it?

i am not having much luck on google finding at home type jobs in Canada, a fair number of jobs at various health authorities for casual employment, though but they want one to have graduated from an approved program in medical transcription.

Having trouble finding legit looking at home transcription jobs, did find a couple in the US, however they require graduation from an approved program as well.

Looks like VCC offers an 8 month training program, maybe when its closer to September and if I can secure funding, I will take it and see if it leads to a job. Crazy how expensive it is though, 4,500 with all the fees they add on top of tuition.

https://www.vcc.ca/programscourses/p...rogDescription

Pay at the authorities appears to be around 22/hr mark but casual employment.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 22nd 2018 at 5:05 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...take_around_6/

Similar discussion on reddit.

The medical device reprocessing is interested and I looked into it in the past, but my memory is no good. I forget things too easily.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I took an online typing test, I did it a few times to get somewhat of an average, each time was nearly identical, 39 wpm on the low end and 41 wpm on the high end when corrected for errors, uncorrected I am hovering around 50 wpm
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 5:19 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I took an online typing test, I did it a few times to get somewhat of an average, each time was nearly identical, 39 wpm on the low end and 41 wpm on the high end when corrected for errors, uncorrected I am hovering around 50 wpm
That's not bad; iirc grade 10 typing took something like 32 wpm for a pass and grade 11 might have been 40 wpm. The whiz kids were going twice as fast.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
That's not bad; iirc grade 10 typing took something like 32 wpm for a pass and grade 11 might have been 40 wpm. The whiz kids were going twice as fast.
We didn't have typing in high school...lol

On this one which is just typing works vs transcribing a story, I got up to 51 wpm.

https://typing-speed-test.aoeu.eu/?lang=en

I seem to be all over the place depending on the test. lol

No clue if I could keep that speed up over a period of hours, these were just short typing tests.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 6:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

On this one which is just typing works vs transcribing a story, I got up to 51 wpm.

https://typing-speed-test.aoeu.eu/?lang=en
31 wmp first time. Tried it again once I got used to the random nature of it (not real sentences) and managed 36 wpm....all correct.
(151 characters jumped to 181)

It probably helps to have a really good keyboard. I find my touch on the letter m often doesn't register. That only happened on my older laptop when there was an issue with the key and a replacement was needed. I also find sometimes that a word with two letters the same comes out as three. Like litttle. Other times a letter at the end of a wor dwill begin the next one instead. That was deliberate. But that's obviously me and not the keyboard.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

31 wmp first time. Tried it again once I got used to the random nature of it (not real sentences) and managed 36 wpm....all correct.

It probably helps to have a really good keyboard. I find my touch on the letter m often doesn't register. That only happened on my older laptop when there was an issue with the key and a replacement was needed. I also find sometimes that a word with two letters the same comes out as three. Like litttle. Other times a letter at the end of a wor dwill begin the next one instead. That was deliberate. But that's obviously me and not the keyboard.
The Intelligence Corps of the Army required everyone to pass a typing test. To ensure no one cheated, when taking the test they gave you a completely blank keyboard. They wanted to ensure that you knew which keys to press to achieve your objective.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I just need 25wpm for most of the programs I am looking at, so I seem to be able to hit that target. I dont think I could ever reach super fast typing levels of 60+ though, at least accurately...lol
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

My sister-in-law tried to teach me how to touch-type when I was about 12 ........... she had attended secretarial school and so used the techniques used there.

Cardboard was placed over my hands and the keyboard so I couldn't see the keys.

I was hopeless!

We weren't allowed to learn shorthand and typing if we were in the academic stream at school because we "would never need to know."

Least helpful advice I was ever given!!

I finally taught myself after moving over here ....... my boss went away for several weeks, I finished all the work he had left and had a couple of days free and a brand-new Selectric typewriter.

I'm still a 3 finger typist, but can go pretty fast ........... fast enough for what I need to do anyway!
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 9:30 pm
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian View Post
The Intelligence Corps of the Army required everyone to pass a typing test. To ensure no one cheated, when taking the test they gave you a completely blank keyboard. They wanted to ensure that you knew which keys to press to achieve your objective.
My keyboard at work has no letters on it now just from overuse. Last year a temp came to replace me when I went on leave and she was complaining about not being able to type because she couldn't see the letters.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.